Put your cards on the table, EU makes last Brexit call to Britain

rooster59

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

Not quite the point, I was accused of a post regarding Trump as not being relevant to the brexit negotiations. He is now claiming he told TM how she should have handled it.

What you say is quite right, he is struggling to deal with the EU and sees the UK as a soft target. Only trying to further his own interests.

Can you explain to me how Trump was relevant to Brexit negotiations if Mrs May ignored his advice. 

11 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

"Don't forget, it's 27 v 1. The pain is 27 times as great for us than one EU nation"

Sadly, I've no doubt that you believe that nonsense.

I've heard from the Brexiteer side that that individual EU nations will be hurt worse than the UK. I was wondering is there any EU nation that does 44 percent of it's export business with the UK? And runs a huge financial services surplus with it?

5 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Your whole argument smacks of cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Not my argument.

Simply responding to the points that YOU made.

So thank you for highlighting the nastiness, pettiness and spitefulness of the EU

26 minutes ago, Spidey said:

You won't get a deal that has parity with the current arrangement, if at all. The EU will continue to have a spiteful attitude towards the UK for us having the audacity to leave. It's played a big part in their negotiating stance.

YOU said it 

I simply responded to it.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Name one country in the EU that would suffer a greater loss by not having a trade deal with the UK, than we would by not having a trade deal with any of the 27 EU countries. We've got a lot more to lose than any one EU country. Maths 101.

You're somehow missing the point that 27 eu countries will suffer (to a lesser or greater extent) if there is no trade deal with the uk....

I'd say 'brush up on your maths', but there's no point.  Some of us are logical and mathematically inclined, and others aren't....

Edited by dick dasterdly
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

You're somehow missing the point that 27 eu countries will suffer (to a lesser or greater extent) if there is no trade deal with the uk....

And the UK will suffer far more than any of them, which is the point. They share the pain, we stand it alone, which is the whole point of being in the EU.

Edited by Spidey
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

So 2 wrongs make a right? Your response to them is to stick 2 fingers up to the EU no matter how much pain it causes the British people. I can't figure out who is the nastier, pettier or more spiteful, you or the EU. Leave the arguments to the adults, you children go play with your toys.

He know’s he’s losing his Brexit dreams so he wants to double down.

4 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I'd say 'brush up on your maths', but there's no point.  Some of us are logical and mathematically inclined, and others aren't....

But no one country will suffer enough for it to be a disaster - and they have the comfort of being a member of a club where the strong member help the weak ones....

That's the "Killer"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tebee said:

and they have the comfort of being a member of a club where the strong member help the weak ones...

??

Our Greek survey says

Wack Wack ooooops

Our Youth unemployment survey says

Wack Wack ooooops

3 minutes ago, tebee said:

But no one country will suffer enough for it to be a disaster

Correct, and that includes the UK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

Correct, and that includes the UK.

Damage to UK economy is estimated to be more than twice that of the worst EU 27 member ( Ireland) 

12 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

I've heard from the Brexiteer side that that individual EU nations will be hurt worse than the UK. I was wondering is there any EU nation that does 44 percent of it's export business with the UK? And runs a huge financial services surplus with it?

I've no idea, but there are likely companies in 27 eu nations likely to suffer if there is no trade agreement..... - and they will not be happy!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

Heed your own advice and off you pop.

What a brilliant own goal ??

I really don't see why, it's a fact as is the fact that the British economy, ergo the British people,by leaving the EU.

Just now, dick dasterdly said:

I've no idea, but there are likely companies in 27 eu nations likely to suffer if there is no trade agreement..... - and they will not be happy!

A lot less unhappy than the sum of British companies that suffer due to no trade agreements.

• Like 1

Just now, The Renegade said:

tebee

I do not live my life or quiver in fear of estimates.

You should try it sometime, it will do wonders for your permanent negativity.

It might do wonders for your positivity but it will destroy your finances. I take it from that statement that you're not a businessman!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

And very probably some of them will be suing the UK government for their losses. 

39 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Name one country in the EU that would suffer a greater loss by not having a trade deal with the UK, than we would by not having a trade deal with any of the 27 EU countries. We've got a lot more to lose than any one EU country. Maths 101.

What you say is true but you are giving us the small picture. We are not negotiating with individual members but with the totality of the EU. The fact is when we leave the EU it won't be China or the USA which will be its largest market it will be the UK.

image.png.fd15668149f134e3e2b0a8b4109a1359.png

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Spidey said:

It might do wonders for your positivity but it will destroy your finances. I take it from that statement that you're not a businessman!

Grouse has been struck down by bird  flu

Spiderman has taken his place ?

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Spidey said:

9 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Each individual country doesn't "share the pain"....

Your logic and maths understanding are non-existent.  I hope it isn't rude to ask - how old are you??

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The impact on each individual nation is very much smaller than the impact on the U.K.

Not at all difficult to understand and certainly not warranting personal attacks.

It was Spidey that said "Maths 101".... when coming out with the 'line' that the uk will suffer 27 times as much as eu countries ?!

His 'maths are clearly non-existent, and so deserved to have this pointed out IMO.

Edited by dick dasterdly
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Unlike Brexiteers the EU doesn't deny it and claim short term pain will bring long term gain.

You've no idea if any EU country has 44 percent or more of its export trade with the UK? Given the size of the UK economy in relation to the rest of the EU's don't you think that such a case is extremely unlikely?

5 hours ago, The Renegade said:

And I did not realise that your English comprehension was so poor.

Smallest and biggest group in both instances does not equate to ALL.

Instead of calling others '' smart Alec's '' perhaps you should practice what you preach ??

Morning, Renegade! It was a quip, a bon mot! ?

neither the UK nor the EU are interested in a destructive separation. The Brexit, whatever that means concretely, is not without huge damages until 29.3.2019, realizable. As is the shirt closer than the pants for all players. There will be a transitional period of several years.

4 hours ago, The Renegade said:

There is no irony about it tebee.

The UK was a member of the EU and that is possibly ( time will tell ) the best model to be in.

2 things happened to change that.

1 A Referendum was held and the majority that could be @rsed to vote, voted Leave.

2.  7 Months later. A Parliamentary vote was held to trigger Article 50. This was backed by a 4 - 1 majority in favour of triggering Article 50.

Look forward, that is where the future lies - Don't look back to the past, it is in the past for a reason.

Where the irony lies is with a UK PM who is doing her best, despite the Referendum result, despite the Parliamentary vote on triggering Article 50, is still trying to keep the UK attached at the hip to the EU.

The UK is still a member of the EU. There was no requirement to trigger article 50 before all the research had been done. The EU have kindly agreed in priciple to allow the 2 year period to be extended. We should request that for obvious reasons.

4 hours ago, The Renegade said:

Should you be talking about your anointed one - Junck the Drunck like that ?

I have no time for Junker but at least he will be sober in the morning. Delta Tango will always be a complete ****

5 hours ago, The Renegade said:

Because you think it is a mistake does not make it a mistake 

Whether it is a mistake or not will not be known for a generation.

So come back in 15 - 20 years and we can discuss whether it was a mistake or not.

I which case, taking the risk is not worth it. Where there is a very significant downside risk, there needs to a major upside to justify the gamble. The downside risks have been quantified; the upside is nebulous at best. Halt Brexit and negotiate an improved membership deal including an EU immigration throttle using new laws.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vogie said:

JRM hit the nail on the head again.

Raab also faced a scathing response from the Conservative MP Jacob Rees-Mogg, the chair of the European Research Group of Tory Eurosceptics. In a statement he called the white paper “the greatest vassalage since King John paid homage to Philip II at Le Goulet in 1200”.

Rees-Mogg said: “This white paper has not needed age to turn yellow. There are very few signs of the prime minister’s famous red lines. It is a pale imitation of the paper prepared by David Davis, a bad deal for Britain. It is not be something I would vote for nor is it what the British people voted for.”

www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jul/12/brexit-white-paper-seeks-free-movement-for-skilled-workers-and-students

So remain as a full member but negotiate some limitations on EU immigration. Why give up our involvement in decision making.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Halt Brexit and negotiate an improved membership deal including an EU immigration throttle using new laws.

Good sense. Italy, Greece, Portugal, Spain, Poland etc. are making real inroads on an improved membership deal.

A better idea surely is to wait until they get the great deal we all want then we can apply to rejoin. 

• Like 2