SPECIAL REPORT: The fight to keep toxic farm chemicals off our plates

rooster59

And such as rice thrips? - please don't suggest the 'organic' method of removing the infected plant [emoji2]
Yes I can suggest you methods.

1. Neem oil / Azadirachtin. Available from thaineem.co.th

2. Abamectin / Avermectin. Mostly known under the trade name "Jacket".

The first is fully organic compatible. The second is derived from fungi and a least harmful insecticide.

5 minutes ago, CLW said:

The first is fully organic compatible. The second is derived from fungi and a least harmful insecticide.

Has Neem oil been tested on food crops (I guess we are really looking at rice) considering the Sulphur Garlic type odour? Any of this non toxic to humans flavour carried over to the crop?

Edited by 473geo
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, CLW said:

Abamectin / Avermectin  - ok an improvement on the Paraquat perhaps but if some reports are to be believed not exactly the whole solution for organic

Has Neem oil been tested on food crops (I guess we are really looking at rice) considering the Sulphur Garlic type odour? Any of this non toxic to humans flavour carried over to the crop?
Has been tested and approved on many food crops by USDA and EU authorities.

17 minutes ago, CLW said:
22 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Has been tested and approved on many food crops by USDA and EU authorities.

From the reports look as though it will work, although we see, controls rather than eradicate. So at 120 baht a kg is the 'teabag' description a pointer for making a spray mix? Any idea on coverage for 1kg and is there a repeat process required, or is one application enough for one crop in the early stages when the Thrip hits for instance.

• Like 1

From the reports look as though it will work, although we see, controls rather than eradicate. So at 120 baht a kg is the 'teabag' description a pointer for making a spray mix? Any idea on coverage for 1kg and is there a repeat process required, or is one application enough for one crop in the early stages when the Thrip hits for instance.
Please refer to the manual or contact the manufacturer.
I used the liquid formulation plus adjuvant in the greenhouse on salad, herbs and flowers.
The mode of action is anti-feedant, so don't expect the insects to drop off immediately.
Literature suggests a repeated treatment between 7 and 14 days intervals, depending on pest pressure.
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, CLW said:

Please refer to the manual or contact the manufacturer.
I used the liquid formulation plus adjuvant in the greenhouse on salad, herbs and flowers.
The mode of action is anti-feedant, so don't expect the insects to drop off immediately.
Literature suggests a repeated treatment between 7 and 14 days intervals, depending on pest pressure.

Thanks for the info, when I enter the home growing greenhouse, I will certainly try it out, and it may work on the mango and farang fruit, for the rice I think your suggested reapplication rate would at this rule it out until it can be produced with endurance, not too good if a burst of heavy rain induces reapplication. Because it does not eradicate theThrip but protects the plant protection must be maintained throughout the growing season. Although it is suggested it also stops the egg laying.

Edited by 473geo
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Cadbury said:

The reason for that conclusion is not hard to work out.

The ministry chiefs and the Hazardous Substance Committee members have received their envelopes from the chemical companies and the those bent doctors supporting the chemical companies have lied through their teeth regarding the harmlessness of these toxic poisons. 

A bit difficult now for the doctors to admit they lied and for HSC and the ministry to admit they made the wrong decision. They would then have to return their envelopes while losing an enormous amount of face. That is not an option for them.

Money wins again within the corrupt world of Thai politics.

Oh do give it a rest.

You never have a positive thing to say about thailand.

Serious question..why do you continue to live here if you are so utterly convinced of the alleged endemic corruption, violence and incompetence of everything thai.

It baffles me.

Notwithstanding you dont have one shred of truth to back up the scurrilous accusations in your post.

1 hour ago, CLW said:

Neem is a particularly effective natural pesticide with low mammalian
toxicity and quick to biodegrade especially in sunlight. However, it is
pretty broad spectrum and will kill beneficial predatory insects as well
as target pests.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

Oh do give it a rest.

You never have a positive thing to say about thailand.

Serious question..why do you continue to live here if you are so utterly convinced of the alleged endemic corruption, violence and incompetence of everything thai.

It baffles me.

Notwithstanding you dont have one shred of truth to back up the scurrilous accusations in your post.

It comes easy to believe you are easily baffled. No one other than you could come out with the nonsense you do.

I have no trouble living in Thailand even with it's boundless corruption by civil, servants and politicians. Your anti-farang expat tirade is getting boring. Try thinking of a new theme to attract attention to yourself. 

The report has only touched the iceberg which swallows consumers in Thailand and elsewhere on the globe.

The extent to which these chemicals do harm to humans is known, but not widely published.

Glyphosate or 'Roundup' is manufactured by Monsanto.

Glyphosate destroys your gut bacteria, thereby eliminating its ability to fight back any intruder, as well as creating obesity.

Long term results are endocrine cancer, a common disease nowadays, in Thailand as well as most other countries around the world.

Wheat for example is sprayed with Roundup in the U.S. and elsewhere a few days before harvest.

The plant perishes, thus makes it easier to harvest grains with machines. However, Roundup stays on the grains and ends up in ones stomach.

There are studies which have been undertaking in Europe substantiating the risks with Glyphosate.

As all pesticides and herbicides, they carry an oil base, so they don't wash off by normal rinsing with water.

One has to either pour boiling water over vegetables before cooking, or submerse them in vinegar for 10 minutes, tgen rinse off.

This brings us back to Sizzler, where after each salad bar one experiences tummy problems.

The use of herbicides and pesticides is now so widely spread that one should only buy bio grown fruits and vegetables.

The food chain has been contaminated with chemicals, the same goes for animal based.

All contaminated foods end up in either humans or animals.

The problem one might claim is, then noone can eat anything anymore.

It comes very close to the truth.

Thailand has a very active green food society which holds frequent exhibitions in Bangkok. The group is on facebook. These growers are the most conscious when it comes to healthy food.

To get pesticides like Roundup banned ? Not with Monsanto being behind the product name. They know how to influence responsible Ministers and Politicians. After all Glyphosate is a close relative to Agent Orange, and has been used since the sixties. All know the results it has left after being used in the jungles of Vietnam.

Here is the French report on Glyphosate in beer : http://www.medisite.fr/a-la-une-des-residus-de-pesticides-retrouves-dans-plusieurs-bieres-de-grandes-marques.5487356.2035.html?xtor=EPR-26-[Medisite_A_la_Une]-20180702-[testA]&tgu=aRKnVk  - translate.google.com , similar is the German report on beer. Of course Monsanto like always has an answer - calling the poison ' safe ' to consume...