Chinese New Year 2007 Coming Soon

george

Chinese New Year 2007 Coming Soon

This year the Chinese New Year starts on February 18th, but it's not too early to mention it.

According to the traditional Chinese calendar, the upcoming year will be 4705 -- but that's a bit misleading, as Chinese New Year is based on a lunar year, in theory. Even that gets confusing when you consider that next Chinese New Year will fall on February 7, 2008, which is 11 days shy of a solar year, in 2009 it will fall on January 26th, which is also 12 days shy of a solar year -- but Chinese New Year 2010 will fall on February 14th, or 19 days longer than a solar year. (All this is according to the informative website Chinese New Year so you may find other dates elsewhere.)

Chinese New Year gives dates through 2019, and every third year during that span is longer than a solar year -- a sort of "Chinese Leap Year," you might say. Otherwise, we'd end up celebrating the occasion earlier and earlier, right around the entire calendar, in reverse.

There's another detail on the website that's a bit mystifying. It says tradition holds the Lord Buddha held a New Year's party but only 12 animals came, so he named a year after each animal. The odd part is tradition holds this is "Chinese Era" 4705 -- but according to the tradition here in Thailand, this is Buddhist Era 2550. Do any of you know how this can be?

Anyway, just as Songkhran -- Thai New Year -- is the biggest holiday of the year for Thais, Chinese New Year is the biggest one for Chinese (and some others). It's true that in China teachers' summer breaks are the longest of the year for them, but Chinese New Year is a far grander occasion.

And when the traditional New Year rolls around, China moves. I remember one year when I lived in China 1985-88 the local media reported that in the three northeastern provinces alone, the state railway recorded a jaw-dropping 70 million-plus passengers one New Year.

As one might expect, Chinese New Year is a big deal here, too, given the strong Chinese influence. (Look at all the bigwigs in every imaginable field -- a very great many of them are Chinese-Thai.) Chinatown, always a bustling place, gets even more crowded, festive, even frantic with excitement. (It won't be the best of times to try to get any business done, by the way.)

Though I came to Things Chinese relatively late, I fell in love with Chinese New Year in 1986, the very first one I celebrated. We had three weeks off from our university teaching, and I took full advantage of it, traveling by train Tianjin-Beijing-Kunming, then stayed in the last awhile, making side trips to Jinghong, near the Xixuangbanna area, and to Dali, well west of Kunming. Then I took a train to Chongqing, where I boarded a river passenger boat for the three-day trip to Wuhan, a trip that took me through the now-submerged Three Gorges. Then it was the train back to Beijing and on to Tianjin.

I loved every bit of it everywhere I went.

If you're here -- I hope you thoroughly enjoy yourself!

-- BangkokAtoZ.com 2007-02-02

02.jpg

chinese.gif

CHINESE NEW YEAR 2007 IN BANGKOK’S ‘CHINATOWN’

February 18-19, 2007

08.00 – 24.00 hrs

CHINESE NEW YEAR 2007

Along ‘Thai-Chinese Friendship Avenue’ in the heart of Bangkok’s ‘Chinatown’

The route extends from Traimit Road, Wat Traimit, The King’s Birthday Celebration Arch ( Chalermphrakiat Arch), Yawaraj Road to Ratchawong intersection. Admission is free.

01.jpg

CHINESE NEW YEAR 2007 CELEBRATIONS AROUND THAILAND

Chiang Mai. Nakhon Ratchasima. Nakhon Sawan. Pattaya, Chon Buri province. Phuket. Hat Yai and Songkhla

Please click to view

Throughout 2007, also known as the ‘Year of the Pig’ according to the Buddhist and Chinese lunar calendars, the Thai nation will be celebrating the auspicious occasion of the 80th birthday anniversary of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej (Rama IX), beloved king and ‘Father of the Nation’ on 5 December 2007.

As an expression of deep gratitude to the kindness and benevolence extended to Thais of Chinese ancestry, the ‘Year of the Pig’ Chinese New Year celebrations will be staged on a grander scale in honour of His Majesty the King. Additionally, the upcoming Chinese New Year presents a perfect occasion to celebrate centuries of Sino-Thai relations, cordial relations between the Thai and Chinese government and ties between Bangkok and Beijing, designated ‘Twin Cities’.

More information from the TAT website here.

Me too! But not 1947 :o

Yep, it's going to be our year and I hope it's going to be a fabulous one!

Can't wait to go off to Yaowarat to see everyone in their red t-shirts.

George - China '85-'88 - must have been interesting times!

I was born in the year of the Pig (1947), the same as the coming year.

How about you?

Me too, december of that year. What a great year :o

Any others ?????

I was in Nakhon Sawan last year at the time of the Chinese NY. and it is indeed a great event in that city.

Regards

FOUR-DAY CHINESE NEW YEAR CELEBRATIONS

THE FIRST DAY

The first day of the Chinese New Year, referred to as “Chiew It” in the Chinese dialect, is a day of remembrance and thanksgiving as family members demonstrate their gratitude and indebtedness to the spiritual forces that watch over them, bestow good fortune and happy times and protect them from evil or harm. The entire family engages in spring-cleaning of the home and family altar; shop for and prepare ritual offerings. The New Year being a time for renewal and a time for starting afresh, altars and shrines in the home are cleaned and new ritual offerings are presented.

THE SECOND DAY

The second day of the Chinese New Year or “Chiew Yee”, is a day of festive celebrations. Ties between families and friends are renewed as each visits the other and exchanges of auspicious gifts are exchanged. Younger members of the family receive gifts of ‘ang pow’ or red envelopes in which coins (now replaced by bank notes) are placed. Red being symbolic of happiness and good luck, the ‘ang pow’ are believed to bring good luck throughout the new year.

THE THIRD DAY

The third day is the day for the procession of the Chinese deities and guardian spirits and the Procession of the Golden Dragon.

THE FOURTH DAY

Processions on the fourth day of the celebrations feature marching bands, a flag procession, the Lion Dance of the various ethnic groups such as Cantonese, Tae Chiew and Hainan Chinese communities, the Golden Dragon Procession, the Procession of the Goddess Kuan Im and other deities and guardian spirits, angels and celestial beings.

Performances presented during the Chinese New Year celebrations include classical Chinese music and dance, performances of Chinese opera, traditional and folk cultural performances, stage drama and theatrical performances. Other forms of entertainment includes the screening of Chinese films in open-air theatres, as well as contemporary musical and stage performances and contests.

More information here.

I am year of the Pig too - for years I thought I was a rat (no comments) but then realised as my birthday was before the Lunar NY when I was born I fall into the previous year.

They are really greaing up for it down here in Singapore - I might just have to buy a pig souvenir from one of the various malls and visit Chinatown on Saturday to take pics of the decorations.

Flights to Thailand were really hard to get for the holiday too - I have to leave the Thursday and travel Biz they were that busy - my pal has given up trying to get seats when he needs them at reasonable cost.

To all the animals out there in Thai Visa from a Dragon...Kung He Fat Choi! Celebrate in style! The whole of China will be on the move close to the New Year so better book those tickets early.HK is gearing up for a huge celebration but essentially "Spring Festival" or "Chinese New Year" is a time to be shared with family and friends.May the Year of the Pig be a good one for all!