Songtaew Drivers Surround Grab Car, Demand Laws Enforced

snoop1130

Songtaew Drivers Surround Grab Car, Demand Laws Enforced

by CityNews

DSCF2720.jpg

CityNews – A gang of songtaew drivers surrounded a Grab Car driver with their passenger inside, angered by the car sharing service stealing their jobs.

After the incident was defused at the Arcade Bus Station, the group of irate drivers gathered at the 33rd Military Circle Kawila Camp to file a complaint against Grab, claiming the service is illegal in Thailand, citing the Road Traffic Act, Vehicle Act and Land Transport Act.

Full Story: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/songtaew-drivers-surround-grab-car-demand-laws-enforced/

changmainews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Chiang City News 2018-7-2
  • Confused 1

Grab is one of the looming threats to the SongThaew Community.  I have taken the Blue Bus from the KSK many times in the last month to Airport Plaza, Central Festival, Airport and the Old City.  As many know the cost is 20 baht, the buses have AC, are rarely crowded, and the longest I have had to wait was 20 minutes.  What next?  Are they going to block a blue bus?  They are being challenged by better and cheaper travel options.  

• Like 1

hmmm.could it be the ripoff prices that the songtaew drivers and tuktuks demand from farang at the bus station? why not post prices for tuktuks and songtaews? if you're livelihood depends upon cheating people, then better to find another livelihood. hiding behind government regulations doesn't justify ripping off.

• Like 2

On 7/3/2018 at 10:07 AM, sqwakvfr said:

Grab is one of the looming threats to the SongThaew Community.  I have taken the Blue Bus from the KSK many times in the last month to Airport Plaza, Central Festival, Airport and the Old City.  As many know the cost is 20 baht, the buses have AC, are rarely crowded, and the longest I have had to wait was 20 minutes.  What next?  Are they going to block a blue bus?  They are being challenged by better and cheaper travel options.  

Interested to see you say "rarely crowded".  I have made it a point to note the number of passengers using this potentially excellent service when I see a bus and have never seen one carrying more than 6 people.  I would love to see this trial work since CM urgently needs a viable public transport system but the prospects look gloomy to me.  Not only are the vehicles themselves too big, but I see cars parked in front of bus stops and in at least one case a nearby vendor using the seats to store his (or her) supplies in the shade.  The buses sometimes don't stop if they can't see a waiting passenger either.

Sadly, what this amounts to is the all too common lack of planning and support probably leading to a verdict of "discontinued due to lack of demand".

Edited by Greenside
  • Like 1

Could it be that we one day look back in nostalgia, remembering the Songthaew of bygone days?

Nope, probably not.

Feel bad for the guys (drivers) buying into this retarded method of transport though. As others have mentioned, it would've been easy for Songthaews to stay somewhat relevant (emissions, smoke?), but they couldn't be bothered.

Edited by Bassosa
  • Like 1

On 7/3/2018 at 11:52 PM, Greenside said:

Interested to see you say "rarely crowded".  I have made it a point to note the number of passengers using this potentially excellent service when I see a bus and have never seen one carrying more than 6 people.  I would love to see this trial work since CM urgently needs a viable public transport system but the prospects look gloomy to me.  Not only are the vehicles themselves too big, but I see cars parked in front of bus stops and in at least one case a nearby vendor using the seats to store his (or her) supplies in the shade.  The buses sometimes don't stop if they can't see a waiting passenger either.

Sadly, what this amounts to is the all too common lack of planning and support probably leading to a verdict of "discontinued due to lack of demand".

Is this the new blue bus service I think I read a thread about in CM?....20 bt for different routes around CM

Will be back in 6 weeks and would def like to check it out as I watch the BIB pull over Chinese mbike riders....

4 hours ago, naboo said:

I thought Grab and the Songthaews had teamed up?

Grab adding songthaews as a transport option in the app was purely symbolical. To shut them up, at least for a while. If you use the app you'll see that a red truck is more expensive than an airconditioned car!

Intended to buy some time and undoubtedly employ other tactics.

I tried the red truck app and tried to book a songthaew, just for shits and giggles. Couldn't make it work!

5 hours ago, happy chappie said:

I was thinking why don't they all join grab/uber but looking at it they won't be able to rip anyone off and would soon break all the rules of these companies and be booted out.

I hope that doesn't occur to them. The last thing I want to see when I request a Grab and expect an air conditioned car with seatbelts is one of those smoke belching songthaews pull up. 

Why cant they just become Grab drivers , all of them ? They would earn more money for sure. Must be some mafia run operation this. If you leave the grooup you'll probably end up dead.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, happy chappie said:

I was thinking why don't they all join grab/uber but looking at it they won't be able to rip anyone off and would soon break all the rules of these companies and be booted out.

because Grab would rip us off instead of them, they can't have that!

Bang Kapi to Mochit Terminal (40m or so drive), friend suggests I use Grab, the car fare was 255 and the motorbike I think 160 or so.

I had a laugh, went out and took the first cab I saw (30 seconds) and made it to Mochit for 165 baht

If I had taken Grab I would have had to wait for the closest Grab which from the app seemed to be 5+ minutes away

and pay 90 baht more for what? it's not like its faster or more convenient