Songtaew Drivers Surround Grab Car, Demand Laws Enforced

snoop1130

On 7/3/2018 at 9:02 AM, Loaded said:

They have families, bills, responsibilities and their ability to cope is now threatened. What they are doing is a normal human reaction.

Won't answer that the way I want to. I don't want a posting holiday. ?

More public buses in the future , less songtaews.   

If they can't follow the modern world , they can just sit there and wait to scam more tourists. 

3 hours ago, overherebc said:
On 7/3/2018 at 9:02 AM, Loaded said:

They have families, bills, responsibilities and their ability to cope is now threatened. What they are doing is a normal human reaction.

Won't answer that the way I want to. I don't want a posting holiday.

I think that the unspoken point he's alluding to is that the songtaews, tuk-tuks, motosais, taxis and their ilk are part of an incredibly corrupt system that charges them a big portion of their revenue for the privilege of participating in that system. 

It's only natural to react when they see someone poaching on their bought-and-paid-for livelihood.  Especially when the new arrivals aren't paying the same corrupt fees- so of course they can offer a more cost effective service..

I don't blame the songtaew drivers for that as much as those who perpetuate and leach off the corrupt system, with little or no concern about the little guys who have to eke a living out of it.

Edited by impulse
  • Sad 1

Just hope the blue  buses can get better patronage .Went past 2 today, 3 people on one bus the other empty,whose picking up the loss ? I have no idea.

Would rather have seen smaller buses and more of them. Hard to break, for Thais, a long life habit of using Songteaws.

Of course motor cycle taxis would be ideal with the small sois and one person trips,you will only find them well out of the city

No matter where you go in this country there are co operatives that run the transport system and milk it relentlessly

I thought things might change 17 years ago when I first arrived obviously I was totally deluded

1 hour ago, Sparkles said:

Just hope the blue  buses can get better patronage .Went past 2 today, 3 people on one bus the other empty,whose picking up the loss ? I have no idea.

Would rather have seen smaller buses and more of them. Hard to break, for Thais, a long life habit of using Songteaws.

Of course motor cycle taxis would be ideal with the small sois and one person trips,you will only find them well out of the city

No matter where you go in this country there are co operatives that run the transport system and milk it relentlessly

I thought things might change 17 years ago when I first arrived obviously I was totally deluded

??

Since 1991 the only two things that I have noticed changing

1. The price of beer.

2. My reflection in the mirror. 

( Still hansum man though ) ?

6 hours ago, thai006 said:

mafia songtaew  why i should go inside

uber ask me 100b   them ask me 200 150  reallyyyy

Been here 20 years and I've never been asked for 150 baht for a shared ride. I think if you are chartering one you would pay that depending on the job. That's $5 for a chartered commercial vehicle plus driver.

17 hours ago, overherebc said:

Won't answer that the way I want to. I don't want a posting holiday. ?

That doesn't say much about your intellect if you can't respond to a forum post without being banned.

30 minutes ago, Loaded said:

Been here 20 years and I've never been asked for 150 baht for a shared ride. I think if you are chartering one you would pay that depending on the job. That's $5 for a chartered commercial vehicle plus driver.

So that would be $5 after haggling to sit in the back of a pickup on a bench, or $3 to sit in the back of an air conditioned car with seat belts.

So that would be $5 after haggling to sit in the back of a pickup on a bench, or $3 to sit in the back of an air conditioned car with seat belts.
If I were hauling something around the city, it's a fair price. If just me, I'd probably phone Grab or pay 30 baht for a shared songtaew ride. I have a car though so rarely need to use any other service.

Sent from my CPH1701 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app