After the cave: Tourism minister orders inspection of thousands of "adventure sites" in Thailand

webfact

After the cave: Tourism minister orders inspection of thousands of "adventure sites" in Thailand

8pm.jpg

As the drama at the Chiang Rai cave continued Thailand's tourism supremo ordered inspections at all sites deemed to fall into the category of "adventure tourism".

In a CH7 video produced before the successful location of the boys and their coach in the Tham Luang cave, the media said that tourism minister Weerasak Kowsurat had ordered his and other ministries to cooperate in ensuring the safety of tourists.

The Communications Ministry and Environmental Ministry were urged to cooperate with local agencies.

Weerasak said that there were 4,800 adventure tourism locations and despite the fact that this was now the monsoon season there were still a lot of Thai and foreign tourists to consider.

Boats, harbors and warning signs were mentioned as important things to monitor and check.

Small boats should not be setting off to sea in storms, it was noted.

The CH7 article and video also referred to the state of the families of the boys trapped in the cave though this was before their discovery.

All were affected by stress, headaches, fever and lack of sleep. Three in particular were being closely monitored by medical teams.

Rescue teams were also advised to take rests that would help them do their job better. Many were also under severe stress in the race against time operation.

Source: CH7

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-07-03
  • Like 1

So good bye to any of the pristine natural spots still left in national parks that aren't already restricted to VIP and tour companies with <deleted> loads of money to bribe rangers and officials. All caves to be lit up like birthday cakes, every mountain will have metal stairs, all waterfalls shall be paved so BKK pretty people don't get their feet soiled as they attempt to take selfies.  

• Thanks 1

In an interview on the BBC a guy said that none of the kids could swim or dive so it will be hard to get them out.

Well that's another job for Thailand, make sure the kids all can swim!

Been saying that for years here. So many kids drown fairly un-necessarily. More important in school than religion IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

Been saying that for years here. So many kids drown fairly un-necessarily. More important in school than religion IMO.

Well not only for safety-reasons they should learn how to swim, i've been to the best pools/resorts with Thai friends who can't swim and all they do is sit under the tree play with cellphone.

Thailand suffers from serious floodings now and then, ones who can't swim better live on a high mountain in a treehouse.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

And what have you actually done besides talk and think? I have taught many Thai kids to swim, it started with one asking me to show him how i can swim at a local pool and just grew. Go to your local pool and start making a difference

• Like 2

And what have you actually done besides talk and think? I have taught many Thai kids to swim, it started with one asking me to show him how i can swim at a local pool and just grew. Go to your local pool and start making a difference

What makes you think that I haven’t done that too?

You know what ‘assuming’ makes you??

• Like 1

RE - After the cave: Tourism minister orders inspection of thousands of "adventure sites" in Thailand

A good idea could be to always have at least 1-one back-up entrance/exit...:coffee1:

•  

•  
  •  
  •  

Edited by ttrd

No doubt this will follow these six phases of project management:

1. Enthusiasm,
  2. Disillusionment,
  3. Panic and hysteria,
  4. Hunt for the guilty,
  5. Punishment of the innocent, and
  6. Reward for the uninvolved.

However, once those issuing that statement have had time to take their foot out of their mouth and understand the actual scope of the undertaking, this project will come to a screeching halt at step 2, and go directly to step 6.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Thian said:

In an interview on the BBC a guy said that none of the kids could swim or dive so it will be hard to get them out.

I'll make a deal with you. I'll petition the Thai government to put this to a vote if you petition yours to get schools to teach their students to think logically and do a bit of research before providing an opinion. 

In America, the majority of public schools have swimming pools. Many houses have swimming pools. Guess what, over 50% of Americans can't swim. 

In Thailand, public schools don't have swimming pools. Some international schools have them. In a provincial area like Chiang Rai, the only place with a swimming pool are a handful of resorts and a couple of new condos. There are waterfalls and rivers but they are generally not the safest to learn to swim in. 

Statistically, countries, especially Third World and Developing countries that have a lot of waterways, heavy flash rain, and long coastlines logically have higher rates of drowning and even an experienced swimmer can easily drown in flood waters and rapidly moving water. 

In addition, swimming is just not a popular activity for the vast majority of Thais due to the intensity of the sun so most don't bother to learn. Its the same with general exercise for many obese westerners. 

Lastly, ordering an entire nation to do something that most don't want to do seems a bit dictator like. I figure you'd be against this sort of thing given your past comments against the thai government.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Julie H said:

...a bloke wouldn't dare! 

Image result for go to jail card

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, dictater said:

So good bye to any of the pristine natural spots still left in national parks that aren't already restricted to VIP and tour companies with <deleted> loads of money to bribe rangers and officials. All caves to be lit up like birthday cakes, every mountain will have metal stairs, all waterfalls shall be paved so BKK pretty people don't get their feet soiled as they attempt to take selfies.  

And fence of the white cliffs of Dover because they are high and could be a trip and fall hazard.

Edit.

The wall around my garden is 3 metres high should I have signs saying ' If you fall of this wall it may cause injury'

????

Edited by overherebc

What happens when some good hearted person is teaching a Thai how to swim, and he drowns ? Probably will be up shit creek! Same with the football coach, He just wanted the kids to have fun and do some bonding, now he is also up a creek. Can you guess what would happen if he was farang?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thenoilif said:

In America, the majority of public schools have swimming pools. Many houses have swimming pools. Guess what, over 50% of Americans can't swim. 

Somehow that doesnt surprise me at all. I am sure if everyone had a pool and a coach the result would be the same. America is not the greatest example of abilities...specially physical ones   sorry but that is true. 

1 hour ago, thenoilif said:

In Thailand, public schools don't have swimming pools. Some international schools have them. In a provincial area like Chiang Rai, the only place with a swimming pool are a handful of resorts and a couple of new condos. There are waterfalls and rivers but they are

Whilst I rather agree with what you say, could I pedantically point out that Chiang Rai has at least 9 ( that I am aware of) pools which are open to the public, at least one of which is free ( the one in the sports centre attached to "Obadour" School).

10 hours ago, Thian said:

Yet the idiot coach took them in. Unbelievable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thenoilif said:

I'll make a deal with you. I'll petition the Thai government to put this to a vote if you petition yours to get schools to teach their students to think logically and do a bit of research before providing an opinion. 

In Thailand, public schools don't have swimming pools. Some international schools have them. In a provincial area like Chiang Rai, the only place with a swimming pool are a handful of resorts and a couple of new condos. There are waterfalls and rivers but they are generally not the safest to learn to swim in. 

Statistically, countries, especially Third World and Developing countries that have a lot of waterways, heavy flash rain, and long coastlines logically have higher rates of drowning and even an experienced swimmer can easily drown in flood waters and rapidly moving water. 

In addition, swimming is just not a popular activity for the vast majority of Thais due to the intensity of the sun so most don't bother to learn. Its the same with general exercise for many obese westerners. 

Lastly, ordering an entire nation to do something that most don't want to do seems a bit dictator like. I figure you'd be against this sort of thing given your past comments against the thai government.

Americans can't do a lot of things. Poor example.

In the US it was after a bridge collapsed that the government ordered 'inspections of all old bridges. Now in Thailand it's inspection of  'adventure sites' after the incident at the cave in Chiang Rai. What does all of this really say about how much governments around the world really know or care about our safety?

39 minutes ago, Jimdandy said:

In the US it was after a bridge collapsed that the government ordered 'inspections of all old bridges. Now in Thailand it's inspection of  'adventure sites' after the incident at the cave in Chiang Rai. What does all of this really say about how much governments around the world really know or care about our safety?

Anyone over the age of 15yo understands rain and slopes.

• Like 1

The wake-up call for the government, especially the military since this is a military government, should be that it lacked both good topographical data and firsthand knowledge of the cave. And this in a border district with all kinds of security concerns. While it was encouraging to see good international cooperation, still it's embarrassing to the army that it had to rely on the firsthand knowledge of a few foreign amateur spelunkers rather than its own ranks of surveyors. Put those guys to work.

• Like 2