Emergency

I am currently living in Chiang Mai. I was issued with a category b visa so I could teach at a language school in chiang mai, the language school provided all the supporting paperwork etc. The 3 month first visa period expires tomorrow. The language school has told me today they are not going to provide me with a work permit. 

What are my options?

1. I don't think the category b visa can be extended without a work permit?

2. As an Australian can I travel to Mae Sai and get a 30 day visa on arrival tomorrow to buy me some time?

Thank you!

You are right that you won’t be able to extend your current non ‘B’ permission to stay.

You can do a visa run to Mae Sai and get a 30 day visa exempt entry (not visa on arrival). That can be extended by a further 30 days at your local immigration office for 1,900 baht.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, w475 said:

Thank you elviajero that is a relief to know it is not such a huge problem.

Could ride my motorbike  to Mae Sai but multiple police checkpoints I don't look forward too...

??

If you have your act and paperwork together, license, etc., why worry about checkpoints??

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Did they give any reason for not applying for the WP or was it the usual cannot get, too expensive.

By the way it costs 3800 baht.

Probably because he didn't have his 'act' together.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Probably because he didn't have his 'act' together.

Some companies do TTP though.

One near me is very loath to hire local expats and bring young guys from eu/uk for 3 or 4 months pay for flight to here and return after 3 or 4 months.

Give them free lodging in a house owned by the company and when they fly back for their 3 week break send them an e mail saying not required back.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, ThaiWai said:

How did you get the Non B? My Non B app needed proof I had submitted my WP application and it was approved pending issuance of the non B. 

A work permit or the application approval letter for one is not required to get a non-b visa for teaching.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2018 at 5:16 PM, w475 said:

Thank you elviajero that is a relief to know it is not such a huge problem.

Could ride my motorbike  to Mae Sai but multiple police checkpoints I don't look forward too...

You don't want to do that for a number of reasons.  Take one of the many vans that make visa runs daily.  Enjoy the ride.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/3/2018 at 6:50 PM, bkk6060 said:

??

If you have your act and paperwork together, license, etc., why worry about checkpoints??

Because there are bad people in the world that do bad things. 

I recommend doing border runs with an agent or at least go with a friend/witness. 

• Confused 1