All Aussie Related Stuff (excluding the old age pension)

I took some back on holiday a few years back and was picked at random for a bag inspection and when the officer found these he looked at where they were made and after seeing Vietnam they were confiscated due to Vietnam not being foot & mouth disease free !!!

I took some back on holiday a few years back and was picked at random for a bag inspection and when the officer found these he looked at where they were made and after seeing Vietnam they were confiscated due to Vietnam not being foot & mouth disease free !!!

I took a large amount back (to last 3 months) on my last holiday in April this year and I declared them on the Arrival Card. Upon arrival (Sydney) the guy organising the bag inspections asked what I was carrying and when I told him I had a few hundred Nescafé 3 in 1’s from Thailand he said “all good mate, just walk out, no need to inspect”.

On my next holiday (prior to my 2 year jail sentence) I will do the same as above but will also ask the guy if I can bring in >3,000 next trip and see what he says.

Knowing my luck the guy will again say “no problems” to the >3,000 question, but when the 2 year jail time comes around, the buggers will confiscate them for sure [emoji846]

• Like 1

My wife loves them too and every trip back we bring a sh*tload with us. Never declared them as they are not on the list to declare - non-dairy whitener, coffee and sugar are not on the list as far as I am aware. As my wife can read Thai, we would dispute that the whitener is a dairy product and say that the label says it is not (but never asked so far).  Unlike in Thailand, you have recourse in Australia, so the onus is on them to say why it is not allowed, and you can appeal against their decision.

http://www.agriculture.gov.au/travelling/bringing-mailing-goods#coffeecoffee-beans

By the way if anyone finds a place/shop that sells them please let us all know. We have tried many Asian shops in many places from Vic to Nsw to Qld - not one of them has ever stocked it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Nemises said:

Elvis’s above link appears to settle the 3-in-1 coffee satchel matter once and for all.

I’ll therefore be taking back 10 Kg of it to help me serve-out my 2 years away from LoS.

IMG_2898.PNG

Yep - up to 10kgs is fine - and last time we had close to that in one bag.

I printed that page as a .pdf file and I have it saved on my phone (just in case).

12 hours ago, Nemises said:

Yes, it's available on eBay however I just take back a few hundred sachets from Thailand to avoid having to go on eBay during my lengthy returns to Aus. I'm just curious as to why no Aus shops (in any state) sell it?

ummm.. where have you been?   It is everywhere!! 

Every asian style grocery, IGA, and even some Coles have various choices of brands of 3in1. 

I go out and get a different brand and/or flavour each week for variety...  at the moment I am trying the Kopiko brand, Brown Coffee 3in1. It states it has non dairy creamer. 

These come in 600gm bag of sachels, of which each sachel is 27.5gm.

The big pack costs au$6.99

the various 3in1s come from either of:

Indonesia / Malaysia(Ipoh coffee)   as Kopi Putih (White), Kopi-O (black) , or Kopi Kosong (Black No Sugar) in coffee bag form (like a teabag)

Vietnam (cafe sua)

• Like 1
  By the way if anyone finds a place/shop that sells them please let us all know. We have tried many Asian shops in many places from Vic to Nsw to Qld - not one of them has ever stocked it.  

Elvis, refer above post (#40). You’re in Aus now. Can you confirm it’s readily available in shops stated?

I checked IGA, Coles & Woolworths in both city and country areas of Vic, ACT, NSW & Qld when I was there 3 months back....and none had it.

Australia The Lucky Country ( maybe for not its' owns )

At age 57, Jim Middap had survived two heart attacks and spent months in cardiac rehab only to find out that he was virtually unemployable by the time he was ready to rejoin the workforce.

For three years, Mr Middap, who was made redundant from his HR role after his first heart attack in 2012, sent his CV far and wide and followed up job leads to no avail.

“Nobody wanted to know who I was after I had the heart attack,” Mr Middap, now 63, told The New Daily.

The Queensland husband who has six diplomas, including in business administration and human resources, estimated he has lost $400,000 in potential income and out-of-pocket medical expenses.

• Like 1

Anyone know anything about the new law that the ATO has brought in to stop you leaving Australia if you owe more than $400 to any Gov dept? I have been out of the country for 15 yr which wasn't planned & I am certain that I had a small tax liability when I left 15 yrs ago. 

(I am hoping that the Tax Free threshold would wipe it out)?

Wish to go see mum before she visits her maker!! 

I know it is in place for Family services, maintenance money owed etc. But I heard that because of its success it is to be expanded?

Thanks in advance.

3 hours ago, Bagwain said:

Anyone know anything about the new law that the ATO has brought in to stop you leaving Australia if you owe more than $400 to any Gov dept? I have been out of the country for 15 yr which wasn't planned & I am certain that I had a small tax liability when I left 15 yrs ago. 

I know it is in place for Family services, maintenance money owed etc. But I heard that because of its success it is to be expanded?

Thanks in advance.

I haven't heard about any law.

I know the ATO can issue a Departure Prohibition Order to stop someone leaving the

country, but doubt they would issue one for small amounts.

Not sure you how you can think that a tax free threshold can wipe out your debt though. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Nemises said:

Elvis, refer above post (#40). You’re in Aus now. Can you confirm it’s readily available in shops stated?

I checked IGA, Coles & Woolworths in both city and country areas of Vic, ACT, NSW & Qld when I was there 3 months back....and none had it.

Ditto - we have not found it in any of those stores, nor in Aldi, and not in any Asian store either.

Will double check Coles again - but am certain Coles dont have it.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Bagwain said:

Thanks in advance.

Both ATO and CSA can issue a Departure Prohibition Order (DPO) if you have a debt. But it looks like you cannot check to see if you have one easily. 

It looks like they would issue one, once a person returns and the presentation of the passport would 'trigger' CSA/ATO to issue a DPO.

I would contact ATO over the phone and give them your TFN and ask if you have any outstanding debt, before you return.

If you make an agreement with them to pay it off, they will not issue a DPO (or remove one in place).

• Like 2

tumblr_o1wpswGywT1ui3jjdo1_r2_1280.png

I was in a Woolies today in Sydney - no 3-in-1, only the type of thing in the pic from Nescafe or Moccona.  The Nescafe ones are on special for $3.29 for 10 sachets, usually $6.59.  So not really "in the same league" as the stuff you guys are craving.   ?

This Asian Supermarket at Dee Why - http://www.myasiangrocer.com.au - sells Kopika 3-in-1 pack of 30 for $6.20, so it is out there.  (I found that with a Google search)  Also can buy various brands on Ebay - found with same search.  I'll drop in to a few of my local Asian shops tomorrow and let you know if they carry. 

Don't understand anyone wanting the 3-in-1 crap when you don't have to though - jar of instant is way cheaper, and fresh milk is only $1 / litre in the big Supermarkets.  We have fridges here you know.  ?  But I do seem to crave 3-in-1 after a trip to Thailand.

And here's me wondering whether I'll cop any grief bringing a French press and some real coffee INTO Thailand later this month.   ?

Edited by moojar
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, ELVIS123456 said:

Both ATO and CSA can issue a Departure Prohibition Order (DPO) if you have a debt. But it looks like you cannot check to see if you have one easily. 

It looks like they would issue one, once a person returns and the presentation of the passport would 'trigger' CSA/ATO to issue a DPO.

I would contact ATO over the phone and give them your TFN and ask if you have any outstanding debt, before you return.

If you make an agreement with them to pay it off, they will not issue a DPO (or remove one in place).

Depending on your residency status and if you lodge tax returns, I'd be wary of contacting the ATO TBH.

• Like 1

[emoji106]onya moojar - thanks for checking mate.

75baht buys 25 satchels here in LoS (even cheaper when buying bulk packs of 500 satchels). So at this price I’ll be taking back the max. allowable 10kg to Aus rather than paying more on eBay or from Asian shops in Aus!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I know of a case where  someone with a debt to the government was refused a passport renewal until it was paid.

Can't be an issue as I recently had my passport renewed at the new Ullaru in BKK!! 

Thanks

21 hours ago, Bagwain said:

Thanks in advance.

As you've been out of the country for 15 years, In all likelihood, the debt has been written off.

It would really only be re-raised if you started lodging tax returns and getting refunds.

Not sure about unpaid tax, but if you owe Child Support you’re now staying in Aus until you’ve paid up.

ISSUING OVERSEAS TRAVEL BANS

We can stop a paying parent with a Departure Prohibition Order if they:

have overdue child support

refuse to work with us to pay it, and

plan to travel overseas

This is an administrative order. It prevents them leaving Australia until they pay the overdue child support, or agree to a suitable payment arrangement.

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/enablers/recovering-child-support-payments/29946

7 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Not sure about unpaid tax, but if you owe Child Support you’re now staying in Aus until you’ve paid up.

ISSUING OVERSEAS TRAVEL BANS

We can stop a paying parent with a Departure Prohibition Order if they:

have overdue child support
refuse to work with us to pay it, and
plan to travel overseas

This is an administrative order. It prevents them leaving Australia until they pay the overdue child support, or agree to a suitable payment arrangement.

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/enablers/recovering-child-support-payments/29946

Been discussed before.

The operative word is can.

From memory, one guy on here owed $45 000 and wasn't allowed to travel.

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1
53 minutes ago, Nemises said:

I met him personally 3 weeks ago. The debt was over 600 K but as they hadn't served him with papers prior, he didn't have to pay all the add on etc. But to this date, it was still the largest paid to Family Services

• Like 1

I notice some States are no longer allowing you to renew your car rego/driver’s licence until you’ve cleared traffic infringements/toll fees/parking fines etc.

Sure hope those unpaid fees/fines will never be made to be paid at airports before leaving!