The kindness and honesty of Thai people! Lost bag containing 100K returned by taxi driver

snoop1130

15 hours ago, AdamTheFarang said:

You hear so many of these stories. Thailand must be an incredible place so much integrity and honesty.

Or put it another way, it seems because one cabbie did what is right it's appropriate and valid to claim that all Thai people are honest. 

Actually it's not valid at all to make statements like 'all xxxxx people are honest'.

Silly and unrealistic comments.

I don't believe all Thais are bad, as much as I don't believe all cabbies are bad!

I don't believe the opposite, either!

What get's on my nerve and makes me very suspicious, it the regularity in which these stories pop up!

Some person takes a cab, looses a treasure-chest full of jewels and cash, honest and kind cabbie returns it, big fuss is being made...

I just a) don't buy it and b ) think it should not be news! 

6 hours ago, mikebell said:

A wonderful heart-warming story; if only Pattaya taxi-drivers could be persuaded (by the police) to turn on their meters.

Yes I took a taxi a couple of days ago just to go to a shop nearby in BKK

I said to my girl make sure he turns on the meter surly he did turn the

meter on end of journey it shows 79 baht but he insisted he wants 200 baht

because he had to pick us up from the hotel my girlfriend told him to get

knotted gave him 79 baht and we left the taxi 

2 hours ago, jackspade said:

Sometimes you have to wonder why certain people seem to get ripped off left and right, while others (like myself) have in 5 years only been taken advantage of once or twice to my memory. Thailand is no worse than any other country when it comes to leaving your belongings in a public vehicle, and not all cabbies are bad, but if you're always hailing cabs at 2:30 AM from Nana plaza, you might just be setting yourself up to catch the bad ones.

I find that Thailand is no worse than most Western countries in terms of returning things to their rightful owners.

I've left a pair of 6000 baht Ray Bans at H&M once and came back 2 hours later to find that the staff had kept them behind the sales counter for me.

I left my passport (in a leather holder with 2 credit cards) on one of the counters behind a toilet at a shopping area in Nonthaburi once.  When I realized it was gone three days later, I returned there and spoke to the housecleaning staff and one of the maids looked at me with a twinkle in her eye as she led me to the housecleaning office where they had kept my passport for me in a drawer, safe and sound.

Girlfriend left her iPhone 7s (worth at least 20,000 baht) in a taxi last month, and I (a farang speaking broken Thai) called it for her and the taxi driver picked up. I told him who it belonged to, her address, and we'd give him 500 baht for his trouble. He showed up at her place with the phone 15 minutes later.

As I say, people are people, no matter where you are. If you're constantly getting taken advantage of, you might be contributing to the problem.

Your post needs to be framed or made a sticky.

In over 15 years (came here age 26 now 42 ) most Thais have  been nothing but helpful to me sometimes going out of their way and never asking anything in return. Took hundreds of cabs, just ask for meter, only ONCE in 15 years has a cab driver tried to keep a meter running...

Meanwhile I would need all night to tell the stories of all the expats I've known who have scammed each other, snitched on each other, pretended to be friends while trying to ruin each others business, etc.

We understand there is good and bad in every race/nationality but what I think it comes down to is many people are very patronizing towards Thais and believe they are there to serve them, would farangs  behave and talk as they do here if they where in Colombia, Brazil, Jamaica? of course not, they would understand everywhere there is good, bad and sometimes even very dangerous people. But here they think it is a sort of disneyland where people are all here to serve them so they complain like this is tripadvisor.

Edited by firestar
  • Thanks 1

On 7/5/2018 at 1:14 PM, Ceruhe said:

Ah, here it finally is, the good news taxi driver returns money story after the airport thief. We are back in balance!

Just in time for the weekend too! I was needing that reassurance that all was well in the universe on a Friday afternoon. Pow There it is.