Phuket: Owner pledges full compensation for tourists on ill-fated boat

webfact

3 minutes ago, inThailand said:

You meant 500B? The generous standard. 

Why don't you stop nonsense like this. Insurance is 1 Mio baht, government has pledged 300k as well.

3 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Why don't you stop nonsense like this. Insurance is 1 Mio baht, government has pledged 300k as well.

Where do you live? 

What they say and what they actually do is rarely the same. 

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, inThailand said:

Where do you live? 

What they say and what they actually do is rarely the same. 

Got it. You don't know what you're talking about but still want to get some Thai bashing in. So when you're clearly wrong you attack.

The owner should be charged with allowing a boat to leave the port in the awful weather conditions and be held accountable for 40 deaths.
At least 10 years behind bars and stick you f.g money there where the sun never shines.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, stevenl said:

Nothing to do with the accident insurance we're talking about here.

That's ok thought u enjoy the story. Just showing you what an insurance can do. Of course, here in Thailand, everything is done above board right? Just slip a bit of money here and there and everything is sweet. I gather it the compensation you are talking about. Nothing to do about taking people out safely. As far i  can see the owner the skipper should be put on a trail for manslaughter

4 hours ago, stevenl said:

I think getting to the bottom of the cause of the accident should be No1 then after that the money and charges should be talked about' I still can't believe that a boat would go out in that sort of weather. So who gave the final order to go out? Surely there would have to be a port authority in place? 

2 hours ago, Happyman58 said:

Just showing you what an insurance can do

Sure enough, some insurance companies do try and find an angle to wriggle out of paying out, however in this instance the insurance was, "death by accident" or "accidental death" cover and that is something which is exactly what it says.

I can give you this example: – you have this cover (accidental death) and you are walking past a building site and a brick drops on your head and kills you! Sure, the builder is at fault, however your policy covers you for accidental death and that's what has taken place, so your estate gets that payment irrespective of whose fault it was.

The insurance company will then seek to be compensated by taking some action against the builder, but that in no way affects your insurance or your payout.

That's as I remember it now from the "old days" and I don't think much has changed with policies like this.

On 7/6/2018 at 4:48 PM, stevenl said:

Nonsense.

really so your saying you think all Thai owned companies follow rules and laws that are required in their field ? you obviously dont live here or not been here very long as your comment was NONSENSE !

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, catman20 said:

really so your saying you think all Thai owned companies follow rules and laws that are required in their field ? you obviously dont live here or not been here very long as your comment was NONSENSE !

You said they didn't have insurance, I said they do, so your comment was nonsense. And since the manager of Bangkok insurance has confirmed they are insured, your comment was clearly that: nonsense.

Oh, and I live here and have been living here most likely longer than you.

40 minutes ago, kalidescopemind said:

I wonder if this won't change the Chinese tourist projections by a few mil?  They were looking very rosey.  Interesting that we have not heard anything from the Chinese government.

If you have not heard anything from the Chinese government you didn't follow the news.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, xylophone said:

Sure enough, some insurance companies do try and find an angle to wriggle out of paying out, however in this instance the insurance was, "death by accident" or "accidental death" cover and that is something which is exactly what it says.

I can give you this example: – you have this cover (accidental death) and you are walking past a building site and a brick drops on your head and kills you! Sure, the builder is at fault, however your policy covers you for accidental death and that's what has taken place, so your estate gets that payment irrespective of whose fault it was.

The insurance company will then seek to be compensated by taking some action against the builder, but that in no way affects your insurance or your payout.

That's as I remember it now from the "old days" and I don't think much has changed with policies like this.

to be honest, i hate insurance companies and i don't trust them 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, stevenl said:

You said they didn't have insurance, I said they do, so your comment was nonsense. And since the manager of Bangkok insurance has confirmed they are insured, your comment was clearly that: nonsense.

Oh, and I live here and have been living here most likely longer than you.

read what i wrote not what you think. i never said they did not have insurance. woo pee u lived here a long time, give that man a pat on the back.

On 7/7/2018 at 11:19 AM, Confuscious said:

The owner should be charged with allowing a boat to leave the port in the awful weather conditions and be held accountable for 40 deaths.
At least 10 years behind bars and stick you f.g money there where the sun never shines.

Based on newspaper from China, the owner is Chinese and he may escape back to China now. I dont think he will get any punishment and be in jail since many things can be settled by money in Thailand.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, catman20 said:

read what i wrote not what you think. i never said they did not have insurance. woo pee u lived here a long time, give that man a pat on the back.

Oh, shut up please. The question was 'have they snorkeling or diving insurance'. You answered with 'being Thai properly none'.

So you did claim they didn't have insurance.

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

Oh, shut up please. The question was 'have they snorkeling or diving insurance'. You answered with 'being Thai properly none'.

So you did claim they didn't have insurance.

i used the word properly ! and no i wont shut up thank you. if you want to carry on splitting hairs no problem for me ?

• Sad 1

On 7/8/2018 at 12:32 PM, wallwallyau said:

Based on newspaper from China, the owner is Chinese and he may escape back to China now. I dont think he will get any punishment and be in jail since many things can be settled by money in Thailand.

Hmmmmmmm

On another forum I read today that all the assets from the boat owner and his company are frozen and an arrest warrant was released.
Maybe it's not the same boat owner.

10 hours ago, Confuscious said:

Hmmmmmmm

On another forum I read today that all the assets from the boat owner and his company are frozen and an arrest warrant was released.
Maybe it's not the same boat owner.

Money is not the important issue here. Over 40 people have died and there must be someone responsible for the cause of it