Rescue Diver Killed In Tham Luang Cave Complex

webfact

1 hour ago, Brewster67 said:

You don't need tanks.... have you not seen bering sea gold?.... they have a fixed mask attached to a long hose which is connected to a rope and also has a communication line... the whole thing is called an umbilical and divers can stay under for hours at a time, not only do they have unlimited air as long as the compressor is running, but can also communicate....

personally i would have this setup already in place even if it is a last resort in case the cavern is in danger of flooding, then they are all dead anyway.

The flooded sections are not so long that each one can't be negotiated one at a time.... Even if you had to tie the kid's arms and legs together and pulled them through with ropes and other divers guiding them by pulling them through.

yes the kid will panic, but as he gets pulled through each section at a time his trust and confidence will grow.... i would start with the idiot coach as the guinea pig seeing as he got them into this mess in the fist place.

get all thirteen kids through the first section, then start getting them through the next and so on.

This limestone mountain is saturated. Just as soon as it starts raining water pours out of the rock from the pressure above. This was explained from one of the divers from Phuket. In minutes the channels turn into the Colorado River rapids. Anyone, even the Brits that are in transit are in trouble at this point. Are you betting in the tropics that a 4-6 hour window will exist. Just look what happened when the kids got trapped originally when the cave was relatively dry.

May I know if the Thais are seeking the guidance of (world class) divers from the UK and USA?

Or do the Thais consider they have the necessary expertise to do the rescue without foreigners?!
UK expert cave divers are on site advising as are teams of experts from at least 7 countries.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

RIP

Obviously some serious questions need addressing.

Why was a former Navy Seal diving?

Is it possible contaminated Air.? The logistics guys are doing many many tanks, it just needs one process to go wrong to get a tank full of contaminated Air. This becomes extremely toxic at depth (I know as I had one and nearly went into unconsciousness  at 20 Meters).

I have not looked at the geography of this situation. Does anyone know if they are diving at altitude? If so what height AMSL?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, billd766 said:

How many fully qualified cave divers are on site?

Each 2 way trip to the cave takes around 12 hours after which each diver will need a 12 hour recovery period to eat, sleep, shower and whatever.

Most of the Brits, Americans and other foreigners will not be able to speak enough Thai to reassuse the kids so, Yes Thais are necessary. To take the 13 survivors out will require an absolute minimum of 26 fresh and alert divers and possibly double that. Bear in mind that the divers will already have dived for 6 hours to get to the site.

I have no idea how long 1 air tank will last but IMHO each diver and survivor will need 2 tanks each on the way out. Who will be providing those replacement tanks along the route? Foreigners are do you think that the Thais can manage to do that on their own?

From what I have read so far the Thai divers, SEALs and the others have done a magnificent job so far in about a weeks intensive learning curve and I am filled with admiration for them.

The problems that the team is facing now is that the lord high muckety mucks and the politicians are making a determined effort to take over the rescue and collect all the glory. They have no idea what they are doing and I really hope that they are willing to stand up if this ends in tragedy.

They won't EVER do that of course, they will simply blame the rescue team if it goes wrong.

Thais Should have stepped back to a supporting role  via translators and let real experts handle this 

Be honest

Who would you rather be rescued by in a life or death situation? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

UK expert cave divers are on site advising as are teams of experts from at least 7 countries.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

But is anyone listening to them? 

Do the Thai navy speak much English? 

Was there not already a mix up that involved some passages being searched multiple times by different teams? 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I doubt the air supply option would be viable over the distance they are diving. I believe it's around a mile. No way they could drag a line that long anyway.

Today's news reports are saying about 1.7 kilometers total distance from the current forward command post to the boys' location -- several sections underwater, and several sections inbetween requiring long ground hikes.

But I haven't seen much clear detail in terms of how long any of the individual underwater sections are.

1 minute ago, quadperfect said:

Unless he died of health reasons like a heart attack or brain hemerage. This should alert the rescue party of the pure insanity it is to bring kids out same way as a pro diver who died trying.

It has been reported that he ran out of air...

(reported on the BBC, but this could be hear say)

1 hour ago, Brewster67 said:

You don't need tanks.... have you not seen bering sea gold?.... they have a fixed mask attached to a long hose which is connected to a rope and also has a communication line... the whole thing is called an umbilical and divers can stay under for hours at a time, not only do they have unlimited air as long as the compressor is running, but can also communicate....

personally i would have this setup already in place even if it is a last resort in case the cavern is in danger of flooding, then they are all dead anyway.

The flooded sections are not so long that each one can't be negotiated one at a time.... Even if you had to tie the kid's arms and legs together and pulled them through with ropes and other divers guiding them by pulling them through.

yes the kid will panic, but as he gets pulled through each section at a time his trust and confidence will grow.... i would start with the idiot coach as the guinea pig seeing as he got them into this mess in the fist place.

get all thirteen kids through the first section, then start getting them through the next and so on.

In Bering sea scenario can you post a photo of the working gear that the divers wear and do they make those suits in chirdrens sizes? Are there any suits like that already in Thailand, how many would be needed, how heavy are the to wear and how long would children need to be trained to use them?

Beairing in mind that the distance from where the children are to the entrance is a long way how many kms of hose will be required and as there are quite a few narrow spaces  will the hoses restrict the passage way to the point that nobody can get past?

Are the divers working on a fairly flat surface or are they working in a tunnel where in some places divers have to take off their air bottles simply to fit through the gaps both vertically and horizontally.

For me having no experience of scuba, deep sea or cave diving I would leave all the plans in the hands of the guys with experience. If I were to go to the site and offer my service and experience the most that I could do would be to sweep up or make tea and they plenty of people for that.

1 hour ago, Fex Bluse said:

You must admit that taking them there without the parents' or Park Management's knowledge was a lapse in judgement?

I don't care if they'd done it 500 times without problem. This logic of "it has not been a problem for me yet" is a central problem if Thai character. There is no way he should have taken them down there without people on notice in case something went wrong.

One would expect a guardian to be able to exercise better logic with or without .

Oh well. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Today's news reports are saying about 1.7 kilometers total distance from the current forward command post to the boys' location -- several sections underwater, and several sections inbetween requiring long ground hikes.

But I haven't seen much clear detail in terms of how long any of the individual underwater sections are.

Which makes it worse. If they persuade a boy to go through the first underwater section and he is so terrified he refuses to do the next section, it'll just end up with the boys split up and complicate things. 

14 minutes ago, Ks45672 said:

Thais Should have stepped back to a supporting role  via translators and let real experts handle this 

Be honest

Who would you rather be rescued by in a life or death situation? 

From a legal viewpoint, which they will be looking at, there has to be a Thai in charge, I very much doubt that anyone of the "foreign experts" would accept command as if it goes wrong they would be liable and most likely charged! Zero or Hero situation!

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

No, they haven't - they are not as narrow minded as you think.  There are still experts on site from many countries.

That's true in terms of their presence. But AFAICT, we really have no idea from the Thai news reports of what their (the non-Thai rescue/diving experts) opinions /  recommendations are as this has unfolded, and whether or not they're being heeded.

Ever since the initial discovery of the kids, AFAICT, the two Brits there have pretty much been on a self-enforced news blackout as to the details of their efforts.

3 minutes ago, billd766 said:

In Bering sea scenario can you post a photo of the working gear that the divers wear and do they make those suits in chirdrens sizes? Are there any suits like that already in Thailand, how many would be needed, how heavy are the to wear and how long would children need to be trained to use them?

Beairing in mind that the distance from where the children are to the entrance is a long way how many kms of hose will be required and as there are quite a few narrow spaces  will the hoses restrict the passage way to the point that nobody can get past?

Are the divers working on a fairly flat surface or are they working in a tunnel where in some places divers have to take off their air bottles simply to fit through the gaps both vertically and horizontally.

For me having no experience of scuba, deep sea or cave diving I would leave all the plans in the hands of the guys with experience. If I were to go to the site and offer my service and experience the most that I could do would be to sweep up or make tea and they plenty of people for that.

The helmets with constant air supply are apparently easy to use and require minimal training where they are used by tourists with no SCUBA training. Just put them on and breath normally. However, using one in a tourist resort with surface a few feet overhead is rather different to using any sort of breathing device in a tunnel, where hitting the Rock might dislodge the helmet.

Whatever, the problem would be bringing compressors and electric cables to power them through the flooded areas to each dry area. Can't use gasoline when air O2 is getting depleted already. It's, IMO, a non starter to use a single supply tube for all 1 mile or more.

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Either way, he died trying to help save the lives of others.

I understand that and do not question his sacrifice or courage. I am questioning the Management of the crisis situation. they have a responsibility to all the divers/rescuers to ensure that the safest possible environment is created to ensure that casualty numbers do not grow. You know that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jerry921 said:

In Chili they did not need to line the entire drill hole with anything, they only lined the first few meters. If the Limestone and soil in Thailand are softer, though, maybe that means they would have to line the whole pipe. But people have been assuming lining the whole thing would be necessary, and I think it remains to be said by an expert whether that's the case.

IMO they would have to line the hole, drilling a hole through limestone/unconsolidated material is easy, keeping the hole is the difficult bit, for what it is worth I had 40 years drilling before retiring.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, CGW said:

From a legal viewpoint, which they will be looking at, there has to be a Thai in charge, I very much doubt that anyone of the "foreign experts" would accept command as if it goes wrong they would be liable and most likely charged! Zero or Hero situation!

I don't think the Thai government folks would EVER accept having foreigners in charge of this kind of operation.

That said, I think the important part is whether their advice/expertise is being heeded as to what's possible and not possible in terms of the diving and rescue access issues. And on that point, I think we have no idea.

• Like 2