Billionaire Elon Musk Offers Help For Cave 13

webfact

Billionaire Elon Musk Offers Help For Cave 13

By Taylor McAvoy, Contributor

800px-Elon_Musk_3017880307-696x491.jpg

Elon Musk, the billionaire entreprenuer, founder of SpaceX and Tesla Motors. Photo: JD Lasica/ Wikimedia Commons

CHIANG RAI — The fear of further storms add to the stress of rescue as time runs out for 13 people who have been trapped in a northern cave for a fortnight. But help could come from above.

Billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk on Thursday reportedly offered assistance for the evacuation of 12 boys and their football coach trapped in Tham Luang Nang Non with his SpaceX exploration technology and Tesla high-powered pumps and batteries.

Full story:  http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2018/07/06/billionaire-elon-musk-offers-help-for-cave-13/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-07-06
  • Like 2

I can't imagine the Thai government being able to pay for all that. Nowhere in the text does he say he's offering it for free. So if it is for free, that's wonderful though probably not a likely solution. But if it's not for free, then his company would be looking for millions of dollars from the misery of children and he should just sod off. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Who cares about money at the moment .

Just get the kids out and sort everything out later .

I shouldnt think that either Thailand or Musk are concerned about the cost

Did you read what he is offering. 

My building contracter says that all the time. 

Build first let's talk about cost later. 

Fool me once. 

You are funny sanemax. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, greenchair said:

Did you read what he is offering. 

My building contracter says that all the time. 

Build first let's talk about cost later. 

Fool me once. 

You are funny sanemax. 

Oh, we are talking about your building contractor, are we .

I agree , get a price agreement with your building contractor , if he tricked you before , he may do it again .

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, greenchair said:

I can't imagine the Thai government being able to pay for all that. Nowhere in the text does he say he's offering it for free. So if it is for free, that's wonderful though probably not a likely solution. But if it's not for free, then his company would be looking for millions of dollars from the misery of children and he should just sod off. 

I expect it would be for free, it would be very odd to contact them otherwise.

• Thanks 1

I see Business Insider seems to an origin of this story.

Apparently Musk was asked on Twitter about the kids in the cave and said he was happy to help. Musk's tweeting quadrupled in April and May, and most of it was replies rather than original posts.

According to the same website, authorities are running a fibre-optic cable into the cave so the boys 'can get on the internet'.

Edited by bluesofa
grammar

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

I see Business Insider seems to an origin of this story.

Apparently Musk was asked on Twitter about the kids in the cave and said he was happy to help. Musk's tweeting quadrupled in April and May, and most of it was replies rather than original posts.

According to the same website, authorities are running a fibre-optic cable into the cave so the boys 'can get on the internet'.

You do know that their air is depleting to dangerous levels as we speak. 

The threat of monsoon rains is imminent and the whole cave might fill with water at any moment. 

Not to mention that almost none of them can swim so if either of above happened they could be gone in moments. 

But don't you worry about any of that. 

Let's get them on the Internet for a live show of the whole disaster . 

?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, greenchair said:

The threat of monsoon rains is imminent and the whole cave might fill with water at any moment. 

Not to mention that almost none of them can swim so if either of above happened they could be gone in moments. 

?

I understand what you're saying and agree.

That was the point of my placing the website's quote in single inverted commas, - 'can get on the internet'  - do we even know if that is correct?

It perhaps might only be for the boys to speak to their parents - which I see as more understandable.

He's talking on twitter very recently about using an inflatible nylon fabric type 'tube', says it will displace the water and keep it dry and full of air like a bouncy castle with pumps keeping it inflated.

Great idea but it’s needed like yesterday!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, ukrules said:

He's talking on twitter very recently about using an inflatible nylon fabric type 'tube', says it will displace the water and keep it dry and full of air like a bouncy castle with pumps keeping it inflated.

Exactly what I was thinking of at https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1046589-billionaire-elon-musk-offers-help-for-cave-13/?do=findComment&comment=13145580 I should ping him for a job ?

It does make total sense, protects from rising water and guarantees an air supply. The difficult bit I suspect would be hooking up the pumps, but if they can get fibre optic lines through then they should also be able to get an air supply through.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd
  • Like 1

Elon Musk Sends Team to Thailand to Help in Cave Rescue : Bloomberg

n1.jpeg

Elon Musk is sending a team of engineers to Thailand to explore ways to help rescue 12 young footballers and their coach having been trapped in a cave in Chiang Rai’s Mae Sai district.

In his twitter; Musk wrote : Elon Musk is sending a team of engineers to Thailand to explore ways to help rescue 12 young footballers and their coach having been trapped in a cave in Chiang Rai’s Mae Sai district.

Bloomberg said the billionaire’s firms could assist by trying to pinpoint the boys’ precise location using Space Exploration Technologies Corp or Boring Co technology, pumping water or providing heavy-duty battery packs known as Tesla Inc Powerwalls, Musk’s spokesman for Musk said earlier. The missing team members who had been missing since last month were found by a pair of British cave divers late Monday. Efforts to rescue them are hampered by narrow passageways and rising waters in the cave system. Most of the boys cannot swim.

The paper reported that last year, after a devastating hurricane hit Puerto Rico, the government there asked Musk for help. Tesla sent Powerwalls and provided advice on rebuilding the Caribbean island’s infrastructure.

Over the past couple days, Musk posited possible ways his companies could help in Thailand. “I suspect that the Thai govt has this under control, but am happy to help if there is a way to do so,” he wrote on Twitter.

Musk’s tunneling startup Boring Co. could potentially make available its massive drills or excavation expertise, but such an approach could be too dangerous for this mission.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30349483

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-07-06
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, greenchair said:

?

I would have thought getting oxygen line to them was more important than Internet but communication may keep their spirits up... Facebook too

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, greenchair said:

?

• The oxygen supply in the cave has dropped to 15%. Normal oxygen levels in the air are about 21%. The presence of hundreds of rescue workers inside the cave has been depleting the air supply the boys have been relying on.
  • Officials are desperately trying to lay down a pipe that can carry air into the cave where the boys are in case they become trapped by raising water during the monsoon season.

Its not like they are not working on the airline and there are hundreds of people there helping, I expect they can also lay a fibre optic, which would not be about making a live show but about getting them in communication with their families to lift their spirits, something that could make all the difference at this stage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, greenchair said:

Oh sorry, my mistake. 

Well said then. 

The billionaire offer to me seems a bit pointless. We know where they are. 

We don't need power packs to power a whole city. And the machinery he's talking about would take months to organise and transport. 

We don't know exactly where they are from the top

The ground xray machine would be useful to pinpoint their exact location in case airhole needs to be drilled

• Like 2