Epitome of an Ugly American....

I went to see a movie yesterday at Siam Paragon.  There was an American fellow that sat a few seats away from me.  He was obnoxious and rude.  When the movie started he put his feet up (with his shoes on) on the chairs directly in front of him.  Then he would laugh annoying loud or blurt out some stupid comment all throughout the movie.  Fortunately the movie was relatively empty however it was pretty obvious that the other customers (mostly Thai) were annoyed by his behavior and antics.  I don't have a problem with someone enjoying a movie but this guy went out of his way to be heard and to be obnoxious.  Furthermore, during the movie he got up, stepped onto to his chair to jump over to the back row and helped himself to the sofa chairs that are more expensive.  This is exactly the kind of behavior that gives foreigners in Thailand a very bad reputation......

Image result for ugly american

How do you know 100% he was American.

We can generalize all we want but when people start saying, "Americans are this or that, Thai,Nigerian,Canadian,English and on and on are all like this," it just sounds like stupid stereotyping.

You met an ass. Who cares where he was from?

He may have been irritating, but hardly the epitome of anything. 

Had he puked red wine all over the theater, groped half a dozen women and fought with their boyfriends, then crapped in a urinal (and missed), he'd barely make it onto the ugly list.

Good rant, though.  Feel better?

59 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

How do you know 100% he was American.

We can generalize all we want but when people start saying, "Americans are this or that, Thai,Nigerian,Canadian,English and on and on are all like this," it just sounds like stupid stereotyping.

You met an ass. Who cares where he was from?

Agree to a certain extent with the exception of Nigerians.

1 hour ago, flyingtlger said:

This is exactly the kind of behavior that gives foreigners in Thailand a very bad reputation......

I hope you explained to all the Thais in the movie theatre that he was American and that you were not.

Sounds like a real winner.  Maybe drunk/stoned or something?  Who knows.

Kind of reminds me of the outrage Thais raised on Facebook a few months ago (posted on TVF) about the Euro back packers on long haul bus trips in Thailand. 

1 hour ago, grollies said:

I had a roommate from Nigeria in college.  He had several Masters degrees and was working on his second Ph.D in computer science.  He was an amazing guy, and his Nigerian friends that he'd bring to the house were truly wonderful people.   That said, I still don't trust e-mails from Nigerians...

15 hours ago, grollies said:

Rumor has it the OP insisted on seeing the rude Americans passport so as to validate nationality.   He wanted confirmation before he made accusations.

Native-Americans, African-Americans, Mexican-Americans, Canadian-Americans, Vietnamese-Americans, Indian-Americans, British-Americans, Australian-Americans, German-Americans, Italian-Americans, Russian-Americans, Chinese-Americans, Japanese-Americans, Thai-Americans, etcetera, etcetera.

Good luck trying to paint with the same brush such a diverse group of people who just happen to share the same nationality. I've met foreigners here in Thailand (mostly British, but by no means restricted to just them) who act like you have two strikes against you the second they discover you have American citizenship. I just shake my head in dismay when I encounter such provincial and rather unintelligent attitudes. The smart way to go is to judge people on their individual characteristics, not their nationality.

14 trips to LOS, and London to Bangkok was the smelliest, rudest bunch  ever encountered, quite a few with a tour group...everything but the flag man.  But all Brits aren't simply short, fat, balding, and smelly...the men are worse.

1 hour ago, moontang said:

yeah, the Jews of Asia..Chinese.

I said Hans. And as a proud American of Jewish descent, I would note that calling the Chinese the Jews of Asia is a compliment, don't you think?

13 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

I said Hans. And as a proud American of Jewish descent, I would note that calling the Chinese the Jews of Asia is a compliment, don't you think?

part of being a Jew is liking being a Jew, but I wouldn't call it a compliment.  It basically implies a merchant class of people who don't produce anything, just make profit from others...sound familiar?

9 minutes ago, moontang said:

part of being a Jew is liking being a Jew, but I wouldn't call it a compliment.  It basically implies a merchant class of people who don't produce anything, just make profit from others...sound familiar?

Ah yes an old school anti Semite, like cockroaches, you can't stomp em out. Anyway Adolf, I think that if you follow subjects like science you will note that the Jews and Chinese produce a lot. But on the other hand, I doubt you are clever enough...unlike the Joos and Chinese....

But hey what do I know,I'm just a rootless cosmopolitan. Why are you here sport,don't you know that the Jews control this website as they do all other media?

But, when they say the Japanese are the Germans of Asia, that is generally meant as a compliment, unless you hate sanitation and neatness, good machinery, and efficiency.  Maybe that explains the popularity of the Nazi gear.

22 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

think that if you follow subjects like science you will note that the Jews and Chinese produce a lot

Science is not a subject but rather a process by which subjects are examined.

On 7/8/2018 at 3:55 PM, moontang said:

What a pile daft nonsense.

How old are you - 14?

Archived