Brexit Secretary David Davis has resigned - source close to Davis

webfact

3 hours ago, vogie said:

Brexiteers MPs threaten to topple May and make JRM PM, what is there not to like. All the gloating and flippancy may be a tad premature by the remainers, don't get too comfortable in your EU Shackleton high chairs, this fiasco is far from over. And remember those that laugh last laugh the longest, best news for months nay years, bring it on. ???

With any open civil war in the Tory Party the one laughing at the end of the process is Jeremy Corbyn. Yes, bring it on say the forum Hard Brexiteers... ???

Just now, Laughing Gravy said:

The link doesn't work for me or is it for a select few people only. I still would like to see a reputable source to a quite serious allegation. I wonder what the police would say if it had any substance.  I was sent to the corner once for sending a link that wasn't verified by the loony left, tree huggers and lliberal brigade.?

Apologies - I missed a word in my copying of the link. I agree - very serious. I have a faint hope that, when all this blows over, Farage will go to prison for a long time. Doubtful, but would be well deserved.

The Brexit Short: How Hedge Funds Used Private Polls to Make Millions 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shackleton said:

the way things are going would  have been better off  staying in 

as for what  the British people voted for is slowing being diluted away

only two missing from resigning Boris and Gove both wasters 

Gove hasn't jumped. He might be smarter than either Dicky Davis or the Boris Bus.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

With any open civil war in the Tory Party the one laughing at the end of the process is Jeremy Corbyn. Yes, bring it on say the forum Hard Brexiteers... ???

No they don't !

9 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Apologies - I missed a word in my copying of the link. I agree - very serious. I have a faint hope that, when all this blows over, Farage will go to prison for a long time. Doubtful, but would be well deserved.

The Brexit Short: How Hedge Funds Used Private Polls to Make Millions 

I have read the article. I wouldn't say it was concrete or reputable. a few her says and associations. Every party and leader makes two speeches. one for winning another for losing. Hardly anything new.

I do love how remainers loathe Farage and claim he is an insignificant but then jump on every little bit of gossip, from living separately from his wife to the colour of his socks. Little credence is given to how instrumental Farage was in getting the referendum and how he has championed, for an exit from Brussels.

I will wait for the Police to arrest him before I give my judgement but thanks for the link to a hearsay piece, of gutter journalism.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, vogie said:

Whether the majority of Tory in favour of a soft brexit is immaterial, it doesn't mean that they will back her white paper does it, have they even read it yet. Theres a good chance the  EU won't agree, if they do will Labour agree to it. As far as I am aware it only takes 48 MP letters of no confidence to the 1922 committee to agree to another leadership challange and who in their right mind could possibly have confidence in May.

Hard Brexiteer maths does not add up, either in a vote for the Tory Leadership or in the House of Commons. Most of the Cabinet understand this. Davis, being a bit dim, does not.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

Defending what old racist ?

589f033ab80ed_2racistsenjoyingadrinktogether.png.1ba295982fea5802f9c600292ab15f46.png

Here is Man of the People Nigel Farage clearly enjoying a pint with a supporter and friend. Said supporter and friend, Josh Parsons, was convicted of racist violence in Paris, when he pushed a black Frenchman off a metro carriage whilst chanting, "We're racist, we're racist, and that's the way we like it.". Of course, Farage wasn't there (he was back home stoking that nascent xenophobic sentiment with his myriad lies), but birds of a feather and all that...

13 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

Let me also remind you that a high turnout was meant to favour Remain. The very point that, according to your article, Farage makes very clearly.

If you believe that Farage made millions illegally, then hop off to the cop shop and make an official complaint.

I think this has been exposed more than sufficiently by many investigative journalists; I am not sure that my voice is going to lend much more weight. But when the trail leads all the way to the top, I think we can all assume that nothing will happen.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I have read the article. I wouldn't say it was concrete or reputable. a few her says and associations. Every party and leader makes two speeches. one for winning another for losing. Hardly anything new.

I do love how remainers loathe Farage and claim he is an insignificant but then jump on every little bit of gossip, from living separately from his wife to the colour of his socks. Little credence is given to how instrumental Farage was in getting the referendum and how he has championed, for an exit from Brussels.

I will wait for the Police to arrest him before I give my judgement but thanks for the link to a hearsay piece, of gutter journalism.

I am wholly confident that there will be no police investigation any time soon - the trail leads all the way to the top, and as the reporters themselves, point out, it is too sensitive.

I don't think anyone has ever doubted just how fundamental he was to Brexit - no doubt in my mind that he was a key element to its success. That doesn't mean that I must like or even respect the man. For that he has to demonstrate that he deserves it, but I believe that he has proven, time and time again, that he deserves no respect whatsover.

So with murmurings of no-confidence votes, what is the process in the event of a leadership contest?

First, 15% of Conservative MPs must write to Sir Graham Brady, the chairman of the 1922 committee. In this parliament that means 48 MPs.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2018/jul/09/david-davis-resigns-as-brexit-secretary-live-updates

Every single Conservative MP that sits in a Constituency that voted leave should be writing to Sir Graham Brady.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Basil B said:

I am sure he will benefit from after dinner speaking, "how we got it so wrong"...

He didn't resign to spend more time with his family. He will be betting either that the Government cannot deliver (some hubris here) or that he will lead a revolt against May after an agreement has been signed between the UK and the EU. None of the ink on his hands to lead a charge of betrayal. However, he's not as smart as Gove who will likely skewer him as Gove previously did Johnson if and when the opportunity arises.

2 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I am wholly confident that there will be no police investigation any time soon - the trail leads all the way to the top, and as the reporters themselves, point out, it is too sensitive.

I have a Tinfoil Hat Factory for sale.

It would be right up your street, going cheap ??

• Haha 2

Just now, The Renegade said:

Every single Conservative MP that sits in a Constituency that voted leave should be writing to Sir Graham Brady.

Some of them are not that stupid. They would be taking soundings through their constituency agents as to what constituents are leaning towards now, not 2+ years ago.

The most shocking thing is that David Davis managed to somehow competently resign. It'll probably turn out he did it accidentally while trying to negotiate a raise or order a big mac or something.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I would have thought that a man who is despised by the right and left of centre politics would have been a great 'scapegoat' for so called insider trading, if the article has any substance at all.

I would disagree with you that people, especially many remainers feel he is insignificant to the Brexit referendum. I am happy you acknowledge his contribution.

I think he is undervalued and has campaigned against the EU and its totalitarian tactics, highlighting them to the British public. If he came to Bangkok as an after dinner speaker I would be there. Like him or not, he is a great speaker and he has continually made the Brussels elite look passive with some great speeches in the Brussels Parliament.

"If he came to Bangkok as an after dinner speaker I would be there."

You could ask to take a selfie with him and put it on your mantelpiece.

Edited by SheungWan

17 minutes ago, tebee said:

The most shocking thing is that David Davis managed to somehow competently resign. It'll probably turn out he did it accidentally while trying to negotiate a raise or order a big mac or something.

Will you be laughing tebee, when his resignation sparks the ousting of May and someone like Mogg takes over ?

From the Remainers Bible

I think (with) the now-discredited Chequers agreement the prime minister is going to have to have a complete re-think on this. There’s no way she’s going to get that proposal through Parliament. Not even through the government benches.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2018/jul/09/david-davis-resigns-as-brexit-secretary-live-updates

Her white paper is not going to make it through Parliament never mind get to Brussels.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Snow Leopard said:

I am sick of the whole thing to be honest. To make any kind of deal in life no matter what that deal is both sides have to want to make the deal in the first place. Quite clearly one side in this process does not want to make a deal because it will hurt them. So there will never be anything what can be deemed to be a reasonable deal for the UK in this process.

So lets cut the cr*p and just get on with it. Work it out later. I feel that withholding the divorce payments and creating a massive hole in their budget might speed things up on their side after we leave. 

The only way that hole is massive is in relation to the EU budget. In relation to the budgets of France and Germany, it doesn't amount to much at all.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1