Phuket boat tragedy ‘unlikely to hamper tourism’

webfact

The Chinese are crazy about Thailand , now that everyone can afford to travel out of China on the cheap package tours , expect more queues everywhere.

And no respect for safety , money comes first. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ratcatcher said:

A spot-on comment. The tragic drownings of a boatload of tourists is merely an inconvenient fact with the Tourism Ministry and TAT.

The current population of China is 1,415,140,963 as of Sunday, July 8, 2018, based on the latest United Nations estimates.

So, still plenty in reserve then.

Especially when the other 85 percent get passports!

9 minutes ago, balo said:

The Chinese are crazy about Thailand , now that everyone can afford to travel out of China on the cheap package tours , expect more queues everywhere.

And no respect for safety , money comes first. 

This boatdrama is world news for last days, and so is the cave full of foreign rescueworkers.

I don't think many Europeans will come for a boattrip this year, but the chinese don't seem to care.

So the Chinese tourists can have the boats, and their crappy lifevests which even don't work

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

Yes,

that is what matters,

that is the thing to be concerned about,

that is what everyone should be thinking about after such an appalling tragedy...

the great god...

tourist numbers. 

Considering that there were people sunbathing in Phuket the day after the tsunami, they are probably correct.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, balo said:

The real issue, and it will become even more acute, is local businesses adapting to Chinese lower safety expectations, and the everyday Chinese person's ingrained kowtowing to authorities. 

They'll fight to the death over a nickle, period.  Thai's (or Chinese in Thailand) will find ways to cut corners, cheat and profit.  Thing's won't (can't) get safer or better, with 10+ million (and growing) cheap charlie communists en route.

Wealthy well connected Chinese aren't taking cheapo tours with the serfs...

Edited by CanuckThai
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Darcula said:

The Thainess is strong in this one.

The government must also rebuild confidence among tourists, demonstrating that lessons were learned from this tragedy and steps taken to prevent a recurrence, he suggested.

Next Level "Thainess" suggesting that ANYTHING will EVER be learned :cheesy::coffee1:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

And if it did affect numbers going to Phuket, no problem the rescue cave will be a winner and the kids aren't even out of that yet.

I really would like to see these greedy Hisos's go without income for one day, I think the result would be like in the movies when a Vampire is killed you know they shriek, squeal and squirm as their bodies convulse and then break down into dust.

Well that's a little abstract I admit, the reality would be more like getting the RTP to arrest someone, probably a foreigner. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Boat tragedy ‘unlikely to hamper tourism’

Okay, I get it,.... put some sacrificial Boat Tour operators under temporary suspensions, accept a Wai, a little tea money under the table, case closed and forgotten after 2-3 months, business as usual.......

Corpses still warm and they are worrying themselves about tourist numbers. What next in this mad money fixated country?

Oh maybe need to say that shark numbers will be up but since they are well fed now,  please reassure tourists that they are unlikely to be eaten by them.

Why is the pathetic Thaivisa quoting a middle manager at the fourth largest bank about a boat tragedy. The man clearly has no clue about tourism or the impact of his callous comments. People are greaving and this does not help. His comments will surely dampen tourism as people become sick of the Thai lack of care. Officials in Chiang Rai are rubbing their hands at increased cave tourism on the same day the navy seal died...

• Like 2

It took me far longer than it should to realise that in their eyes we are lesser beings. The unworthy that must be tolerated in order to feed their pittilless, greed, racism and ingratitude. A tragedy is unexpected this was always going to happen. It's mind over matter. They don't mind we don't matter. They have not learnt that they drove away the Europeans and are now left with the ones they despise most. Loose now the Chinese and it's going to get a lot lot worse. 

The chief economist may have prefaced his comments with messages of Condolences and calls for punishment of those responsible and concrete plans for vessel survey standards and training standards for operators, but I doubt it. Numpty 

Such audacious comments but he is right and that is why nothing will ever be fixed and there is little will to improve safety standards. The carnage, be it in overloaded boats or amphetamine fueled van drivers, is simply an "acceptable loss" as long as the numbers continue to roll.

Phew, thank Buddha for that. For a minute there I thought the Thai authorities were actually going to do some self-reflection and clean up the mess that is maritime travel. I mean really, there are over 1.6 billion Chinese. Thailand couldn't possibly kill them all, could they?