Bangkok Apartment

Jimbo

A friend of mine got a job offered in BKK and as part of his package he is getting a 25,000 housing allowance. He will be working in the Pathumwan area and would like to find something near to his work. What can he expect to get for 25 k a month?

A friend?-never mind. Is he single or moving with family?

I don't know Pathumwan very well, but it is not a prime residential area.

For 25 k you can expect to get a decent, furnished 2-3 bedroom apartment with swimmingpool, security, the works, in a central location, price varies from area to area, of course. If willing to commute, a family house with (small)gardens is within the budget. For areas see "living in Bangkok", will your friend work near a skytrain station?

The office is on longsuan road in Lumpini, Pathumwan? I am not sure which station that would be. What area nearby would you recommend to live in.

And yes a friend, why is that strange?

There is one serviced apartment right next to Asia Hotel (Rajthewi station). The ex file has been using it every time in town. It costs him 22k/month. One bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, living room, swimming pool, sauna, etc. Good security too.

PM me if you want to have a look at their website.

I believe that area is one of the most expensive in BKK :o . As it is fairly near the skytrain I would look for a nice apartment either out toward On Nut or Mo Chit. I live not far from Victory Monument and pay about 6,500 to 8,500 per month (including utilities) for a studio apartment. There are some one bedroom apartments nearby that run about 12,000 for everything. For 25K a month you can get a very nice place if you are willing to leave the Sukhmvit/Silom areas.

What type of building would it be in? That is the 12 k a month. Would you have a pool or something and is there a mix of Thai's and Farang's living there? How far from the sky train would it be?

What type of building would it be in?

High rise building - I live in the old seven story building, the 20 story high rise is next door.

That is the 12 k a month. Would you have a pool or something and is there a mix of Thai's and Farang's living there?

Yes, there's a pool, a fairly mediocre restaurant and a convenience store downstairs. There are a few Thais here, but mostly Farangs, Japanese and Koreans.

How far from the sky train would it be?

That's the downside - about 1 Km from the skytrain.

There are lots of similar places in this neighborhood and in others.

• 2 years later...
There is one serviced apartment right next to Asia Hotel (Rajthewi station). The ex file has been using it every time in town. It costs him 22k/month. One bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, living room, swimming pool, sauna, etc. Good security too.

PM me if you want to have a look at their website.

Hi LovelyCutie,

My wife and I have been always staying at Asia Hotel for a few weeks during our vacation every year. We love it since it so convenient to get into a sky train. Now, we are about to retire and would like to live in Bangkok for 3-4 months per year. Would you kindly provide further contact information or website of this 22k/month apartment please. Thank you very much for your help.

Snowbirds

Ari is nearby.

It is becoming uite trendy and 25K a month would buy a something great there.

If he went to the other end of the BTS like On-Nut, he could get a 3 story 6 bedroom townhouse with everything and about 10 minute walk to the skytrain for 25k a month.

You do have to look.

I have same thing on my mind with my family (includes 1yo daughter). We are looking for an appartment from downtown for about 25-35k/month (can be cheaper also :o). Unfortunately we can stay only one month :D

I've got plenty of options from this forum but I'd like to share my criteria here:

Swimming-pool (a must!)

Balcony/terrace (nice to have)

Some grocery nearby, BigC, Tesco etc to have baby diapers and so on.

Close to BTS/MRTG

Easy to get local thai cuisine from the street vendors nearby.

Location: maybe near to some park etc, for example Lumpini to go for a picnic?

Very nice but expensive:

Centre Point Petchaburi

Lots of students here, maybe expensive too?

Bosstower

Tower Inn Bangkok

Admiral Suites

This seems pretty good:

Waterford Rama IV

Any experience of any above?

Edited by huppe

I imagine that the apartment building referred to as being next to the Asia Hotel is the Evergreen Apartment. It is a nice property. The only downside is that it is a serviced apartment and you pay hiked prices for electricity, water and telephone.

A few other properties in the Patumwan area looking at are:

Patumwan House in Soi Kasemsan 1 where two bedroom units go for around 25,000 baht. It is nice, but some units can be dark.

Next door is The Kasemsan which is a Thai dominated condo building. I have never seen the two bedroom units, but the one bedroom units went for 15,000 or thereabouts, so two bedroom units should be around 25k baht.

A bit further up Phyathai Road, between Petchaburi Road and Sri Ayuthaya Road are Phyathai Resort, that huge condo building where 2 bedroom units go for a little over 25,000 baht per month and Barn Patumwan where 2 bedrooms are around the same price.

There’s lots of choice in that area of Patumwan. Go a bit further up the road to Soi Rangnam which is just south of Victory Monument and prices tend to be a bit cheaper.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for pointing that out Stick, and how true it is. Those utility surcharges can be outrageous. I rememer moving into a Pattaya studio for 8500 and thinking what a great deal I got till I got the 6000 baht electric bill. These low rents are usually a scam as they get you one way or another

I'm renting in Pattaya and it's my first ever rental in Thailand. It's the first time in my life I've seen landlords take a surcharge on my electric bill. Upon quering this unusual (for me) practice, the answer was (from a farang would you believe) that the more electricity I use, the more I'm using the electric appliances so it covers wear and tear.

Yeah, right!

BTW, I'm paying 6.05 per kilowatt hour. Does anyone know what surcharge I'm actually being levied? My bills are not really high ie 3,500 per month.

• 1 year later...
Is there any wireless or ADSL connection available at Patumwan House?

I have recently moved to Bangkok after living for 4 years in south Thailand. I was looking for a convenient apartment to stay long term. I looked at a 1-bedroom at Patumwan House and decided I would like to rent there. After they showed me the room, I told the girl I would like to go to my hotel and get my laptop to bring back to test the wi-fi signal in the room I wanted to rent. I work on the internet and wanted to be sure I had reliable access before I put a deposit down. So I made the 3 hour round trip and came back with my laptop and my Thai friend. The girls at the desk treated me so unbelievably rudely! They refused to let me test the wi-fi signal like we had discussed. They said if I was not their customer they could not let me test. I had 37000 baht in my hand that I was going to put down as a deposit for a room! I just wanted to make sure the signal worked first! They did not care, and were so unfriendly to my friend and I that we just walked out. I have never been treated so stupidly in my life. I do not recommend this place- it's a good location but that is about all it has going for it. Rooms are rather old dark and musty and overpriced.

Edited by girlx