Carrying a passport around

On 7/9/2018 at 3:43 AM, johng said:

I used to carry my passport around in my pocket...all the printing on the outside covers was rubbed away...they almost didn't let me on a flight back home because of the blank front cover..after that I dont carry it around...just a primted copy in my wallet and a scaned .JPG on my phone.

Are you Canadian? I have a blank cover too from carrying it - very cheaply made 10 year passport. I've traveled all over with it and have only been questioned once (in Thailand) and only because the guy had trouble finding the first page.

Did anyone got into real trouble for not being able to show their real passport?

My guess is that the answer is no, so we can stop this discussion. 

I've been living here for more than 13 years and never asked to show any form of id, unless checking into hotels or phone subscriptions etc.

A Thai DL will suffer in most if not all cases. Better yet, last time at the phone shop they asked id for new subscription and I gave them my passport, but they asked if I had a Thai DL, since they are familiar with that format.

I’ve shown the Tha DL when stopped no questions asked. US now has a Passport that’s like a DL. Only for use in North America but easy to keep in wallet if asked for passport.....

May need to research about having passport with you. China is the same if the officers has a case of the ass they ask for passport which is

by China law required to be with you. 

But it never really got a hassle ..... just told them at home. 

Well, here's a new one too. I always use registered post when post abroad and never had a problem (Udornthani main post office). Tuesday, this week I went to do the usual posting a letter to my friend in England. I was told that my telephone number now had to accompany my (senders) address and that I had to show my passport for the transaction. I told the lady that I hadn't had to that before and she said it was a new rule because of recent problems returning mail. Why does this new rule need passport (seems over the top to me) and she replied she didn't know. If this happens again next week I'm going to ask for a copy of this rule or least speak to a supervisor. Anyone else experience this?

1 hour ago, verticalift said:

My Passport stays at home locked up in my Safe. Period.

A copy of my Passport is saved to my iPhone, as well as in a separate Gmail Folder, along with all the following: Scanned signed copies of my Passport, Thai Drivers License, Thai pink ID Card and Tambian Baan (Yellow House Papers) Signed hard copies of all docs are also kept in the glove box of my car with the insurance docs. 

yep.  I made copies of every thing:  DD-214, College Diplomas, College Transcripts, Resumes, Social Security Card, Birth Certificates, USA Driver License, etc, and saved them to pdf files and emailed them to myself. I also put a simple password on the documents to keep them a little bit safer, although at this point in my life, some identity theft is not a big issue, as I have records and copies in other places in the USA I could always resurrect them, thumb drive, personal hard drive on computer, etc.

When walking around Thailand I keep a color photocopy of my passport ID photo page and the current visa stamp in a small plastic sealed sandwich bag.  Never been stopped in a dozen visits since 2004.  If I ever was, well, as others have posted, happy to take officials back to Hotel and produce the original.  It can be a bit of a hassle to replace a passport while abroad, although my friend that had his stolen while in Italy had an easy time, and after getting a ride to the embassy/consulate got an emergency replacement in like one hour and that was good for one year and he was able to continue his pre planned and paid for club med type of trip and did not have to immediately fly back to the USA.  No idea if Thailand is that accommodating with a stolen passport.

I have a Thai ID card, as well as both Thai car and motorcycle driver license.  I never carry my passport, and for 8 out of the past 10 years, these have been sufficient.  Only time I need passport is going to Immigration, or for a new bank book.  

Edited by Just1Voice

12 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

Well, here's a new one too. I always use registered post when post abroad and never had a problem (Udornthani main post office). Tuesday, this week I went to do the usual posting a letter to my friend in England. I was told that my telephone number now had to accompany my (senders) address and that I had to show my passport for the transaction. I told the lady that I hadn't had to that before and she said it was a new rule because of recent problems returning mail. Why does this new rule need passport (seems over the top to me) and she replied she didn't know. If this happens again next week I'm going to ask for a copy of this rule or least speak to a supervisor. Anyone else experience this?

It is not really a new rule. They are just enforcing it now (for at least a year). Thai's have to show their ID card.

It is so they have proof of who sent the package or letter incase it turns out to contain prohibited items.

• Thanks 2

On 7/9/2018 at 2:48 PM, Pilotman said:

Bit off topic, but the good thing about having a current IDP, is that when you go to apply for your Thai DL, you dont have to sit through that God awful video for 40 minutes. 

Had to sit through a one hour video in Thai, with the IDP......otherwise would have had to sit through the 4 hour video....

Lampang DLT.

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is not really a new rule. They are just enforcing it now (for at least a year). Thai's have to show their ID card.

It is so they have proof of who sent the package or letter incase it turns out to contain prohibited items.

Ran into same problem in my village post office, although they were satisfied with my Thai driver's license.  Most times a copy of passport has been enough, except for hotel registrations.  

I keep a photo of passport on my phone of the relevant pages.  Carry a small laminated copy of the pages in my car also. If we drive outside of our city area or overnight anywhere I carry the original passport. Only ever had to show my Thai DL when stopped by police though, so maybe I’ve been lucky. 

A question if you don’t mind. 

My 5 year Thai DL expires in September but I’ll be travelling outside Thailand at the time. How soon before expiry date can I apply for a new one? 

i had a international driving license i was stopped many times.once i showed the IDL to the usual police stop for tea money.they look and say ok move on.the only ones getting a ticket are the ones without a thai license or IDL.they look for the farang and they know it is a easy target

On 7/11/2018 at 5:38 AM, Maestro said:

Thank you, OJAS, for posting the link to the English translation of the Alien  Registration Act B.E, 2493 (1950). For the legal eagles among the Thaivisa members I am adding the link to the original Thai text:

http://web.krisdika.go.th/data/law/law2/%a118/%a118-20-9999-update.pdf

This is interesting, but this law requires foreigners to carry a document that does not exist anymore.  Is there any law that refers to tourists (with no alien certificate) having to carry their passports all of the time?

I've heard officials emphatically insist that foreigners must carry their passports on their person and I have seen past debates on many forums on this exact same subject, but I have never seen a link (in Thai or translation) that actually states that foreigners must have passports with them at all times. 

Put this in context: we can find readily find the law requiring foreigners to carry a certificate that has ceased to exist. I have seen the same link to the "alien certificate" before when this issue has been discussed.  If this out-dated law requiring foreigners to carry a certificate that no longer can be readily located, why can't anyone find a link to the purported law that requires foreigners to carry passports?  If you can easily find the former, why can't anyone find the latter? 

You'd think it be much easier to find (1) a law actually that specially says foreigners must carry passports than (2) a 68 year old law that requires foreigners to carry a certificate that no longer exists. Very curious.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tongjaw said:

I keep a photo of passport on my phone of the relevant pages.  Carry a small laminated copy of the pages in my car also. If we drive outside of our city area or overnight anywhere I carry the original passport. Only ever had to show my Thai DL when stopped by police though, so maybe I’ve been lucky. 

A question if you don’t mind. 

My 5 year Thai DL expires in September but I’ll be travelling outside Thailand at the time. How soon before expiry date can I apply for a new one? 

I believe it is 60 days.

On 7/9/2018 at 2:28 PM, bkk6060 said:

I carry nothing but my Thai DL been stopped numerous times never a problem.

But, seeing all the people at the Embassy getting a new passport because they "lost" it seems rather a stupid thing to lose.

There are other ways to "lose" a passport. Stupid is the wrong word to use though. Careless maybe. Have you never done anything careless in your whole life?

I'm a fairly careful person in general, but years back I machine washed my wife's new passport. I had it in my side pocket on a visit to the Immigration office and didn't take it out before throwing my pants into the laundry basket. As I only carry passports around on rare occasions, it's an easy mistake to make.

On another occasion, further back, I was getting off a boat and fell into the water with my passport in pocket. It didn't destroy it, but it didn't look so good after that. The point is accidents do happen and a momentary lapse of concentration is all it takes. Also, a passport is usually valid for 5 to 10 years. It could look pretty rough if you're carrying it around every day.

I would recommend everyone leave their passports at home, locked away.  

• Like 1

On 7/9/2018 at 3:00 PM, joe china said:

I watched the video. It was an hour. Some pretty horrific CCTV's.

After leaving, I was then able to easily identify other road users who had not seen the video or had forgotten.

Sent from my SM-N9500 using Tapatalk

For me, watching the video certainly made me more self aware and cautious on the roads. 

It was a bit depressing to see all the accidents which take place on the roads here, 

and at time the innocent casualties. 

I have a Thai drivers license and have been stopped at road blocks never a problem. I am lucky to know several expats that have lived here on extensions of stay retirement or married for many years. One for over 30 years in Phuket area. Some in BKK, Pattaya and Khon Kaen. 

They have never had anyone ask for their passport but all have drivers license. They have never had extension of stay problems at their immigration offices or TM. 30 issues or any of that type of stuff.  They also don’t read thai Visa forum. I have to believe a lot of stuff written in this TFV is biased stretching of the truth. Having said that there are some guys on this TVF that have really good advice so that is why I keep reading it. Posts like this one are just for entertainment and to be thankful I am not full of anxiety and anal retentive. Peace. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, tropo said:

There are other ways to "lose" a passport. Stupid is the wrong word to use though. Careless maybe. Have you never done anything careless in your whole life?

I'm a fairly careful person in general, but years back I machine washed my wife's new passport. I had it in my side pocket on a visit to the Immigration office and didn't take it out before throwing my pants into the laundry basket. As I only carry passports around on rare occasions, it's an easy mistake to make.

On another occasion, further back, I was getting off a boat and fell into the water with my passport in pocket. It didn't destroy it, but it didn't look so good after that. The point is accidents do happen and a momentary lapse of concentration is all it takes. Also, a passport is usually valid for 5 to 10 years. It could look pretty rough if you're carrying it around every day.

I would recommend everyone leave their passports at home, locked away.  

Sure, accidents happen we are all human beings.

Just from my observation the last 2 times at the US embassy their just seems to be a lot of lost passport claims.  And that is only one embassy for maybe an hour.

My passport is as important to me as my testicles always aware where they are.

Have never ever carried ID or passport and never would except when driving cars when you are frequently stopped when driving in rural road blocks

Never once have I been asked for it outside of a car

I do carry a business card with insurance details on reverse and cash nothing else

20 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Just from my observation the last 2 times at the US embassy their just seems to be a lot of lost passport claims.  And that is only one embassy for maybe an hour.

I find it easy to forget my passport is in my pocket when I return from the Immigration Office, because that's at the most 4 times a year.

At the Australian Embassy in Bangkok, they have a price list for passport replacement. The price goes up the more often you require replacement... and it gets pretty high for repeated "loss".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Maybe good to staple your pp to your tt, so you need to keep track of only 1 item 555 :sorry:

• Haha 1

On 7/9/2018 at 10:56 AM, Mattd said:

This has been done to death over the years on TV and no one can find a law that states that you must carry your original passport with you at all times.

The requirement is that you can prove your legal status in Thailand and photo ID, so a copy of your passport along with a Thai or Foreign DL (with photo) would be fine, you could be asked to produce the actual passport at a later time.

Personally I have the passport stuff recorded in my phone, if ever asked for it.

Carrying the original poses far too many risks, so only do this if doing something official that may need it.

Always a good idea to include photos of current visa or stamps

39 minutes ago, Lazinonthebeach said:

Always a good idea to include photos of current visa or stamps

Yes, of course, as you need to show your legal status and can only do this by the current stamps etc.

7 hours ago, Horace said:

This is interesting, but this law requires foreigners to carry a document that does not exist anymore.  Is there any law that refers to tourists (with no alien certificate) having to carry their passports all of the time?...

Is the alien identity certificate mentioned in the Alien Registration Act, which is compulsory only for immigrants, ie foreigners who are permanent residents, perhaps the so-called red book issued by the police station? The only image I could find for it is not sufficiently clear for me to decipher its title.

48ziecvMFBkVvn2L6VbCk4ckcyp4ltuxuwfrwAnh