Deputy PM Somkid calls for high-speed rail action

webfact

Deputy PM Somkid calls for high-speed rail action

som.jpg

FILE photo

BANGKOK, 13 July 2018 (NNT) - The Deputy Prime Minister, Dr. Somkid Jatusripitak, on Wednesday (July 11th) urged state-owned transport agencies to quickly get major projects into the bidding process, particularly the double-track rail and high-speed train development schemes. 

Dr. Somkid said the State Railways of Thailand (SRT) is the key driving engine to drive several projects this year, and its main projects should not be delayed. 

He also urged the SRT to hasten calls for bids in nine double-track routes. The state-owned rail operator is expected to finish the term of reference of the Bangkok - Hua Hin high-speed train project soon. 

The Deputy Prime Minister instructed the SRT to conduct a study to extend this route to the southern province of Surat Thani and present the route extension plan to the cabinet for consideration next year.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-07-13

14 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

What's he talking about, that project started in September 2016 didn't it? ?

Evidently he doesn't think so, or he doesn't think it *really* started. Along with the associated big-fanfare projects mainly designed to enrich Prayuth's ego and electoral chances.

Which sort of brings to mind some people saying at the time that it'll never happen. Not because Thais lack the ability or anything like that, but perhaps because they're a bit prone to bad luck.

Somkid really needs to get down the wat and have a nice pray. A few good 'Pacowato's' ought to do the trick.

Edited by KiwiKiwi
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, KiwiKiwi said:

Evidently he doesn't think so, or he doesn't think it *really* started. Along with the associated big-fanfare projects mainly designed to enrich Prayuth's ego and electoral chances.

Which sort of brings to mind some people saying at the time that it'll never happen. Not because Thais lack the ability or anything like that, but perhaps because they're a bit prone to bad luck.

Somkid really needs to get down the wat and have a nice pray. A few good 'Pacowato's' ought to do the trick.

Perhaps the foreign cave rescue team might know some foreign volunteers who could build a model railway.

That is is the correct phrase isn't it? A model railway - one that is perfect in every detail.

13 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Perhaps the foreign cave rescue team might know some foreign volunteers who could build a model railway.

That is is the correct phrase isn't it? A model railway - one that is perfect in every detail.

In exchange for Thai Elite CARD surely?

Edited by theguyfromanotherforum
  • Haha 1

Just now, NCC1701A said:

construction has begun in Hua Hin.

Not trying to argue with what you say, but how can construction have started, when below it says, "get major projects into the bidding process", giving the impression no one has yet even tendered.

Or are there some other details I've missed?

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The Deputy Prime Minister, Dr. Somkid Jatusripitak, on Wednesday (July 11th) urged state-owned transport agencies to quickly get major projects into the bidding process, particularly the double-track rail and high-speed train development schemes. 

13 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Not trying to argue with what you say, but how can construction have started, when below it says, "get major projects into the bidding process", giving the impression no one has yet even tendered.

Or are there some other details I've missed?

I don't know. all I know is about 4 months ago large signs went up at every rail crossing in Hua Hin with artwork showing the elevated rail and train and a new terminal. 

about two months ago they started clearing the area next to the existing rail.

and now there are heavy cranes next to the existing rail in "downtown" Hua Hin.

there are other forum members here reporting huge concrete supports are being built now south of Hua Hin. 

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

quickly get major projects into the bidding process, particularly the double-track rail and high-speed train development schemes. 

TRANSLATION:

It's time for Prayut's high speed Article 44 to be invoked before an elected government comes to power and grabs such lucrative projects for itself.

8 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I don't think it will be any kind of railway. The kudos in the eyes of the Thai electorate came from the announcement. nothing else was needed or expected. After the usual 9 days, it all died down and went horribly quiet. Prayuth doesn't need to do anything now except plot the next 9-day wonder. This one already served it's purpose without a kilometer of rail track even being laid.

Gesture/rhetoric politics at it's very finest. No need to actually do anything so long as you can talk a good game.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I don't know. all I know is about 4 months ago large signs went up at every rail crossing in Hua Hin with artwork showing the elevated rail and train and a new terminal. 

about two months ago they started clearing the area next to the existing rail.

and now there are heavy cranes next to the existing rail in "downtown" Hua Hin.

there are other forum members here reporting huge concrete supports are being built now south of Hua Hin. 

Road BRIDGES already done south of Hua  Hin and they are HUGE things, there will be no level crossings anywhere  from now on.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

The Deputy Prime Minister, Dr. Somkid

Eh .! Have we missed something .. we thought Patek Prawit was deputy dawg but then we have been away .. Or is Doc Somkid a stand in , a sort of agency deputy ..

On 7/13/2018 at 9:47 AM, bluesofa said:

Some years ago in Australia, there was a huge and long-running ad campaign for an imitation beer called Claytons ' - the beer you have when you're not having a beer'. Non-alcoholic as I recall.

Reminds me a lot of many things in Thailand. In this case, it's the railway you build when you're not building a railway.

Another member posted that 'There's a lot of biiiiig concrete thingies going up' (or words to that effect). In Hua Hin I recall - well placed to impress perhaps. Right. I'm reminded of the concrete thingies on the way to Don Mueang (Viphawadee-Rangsit I think), that were a part of a huge Thai scam of a German construction company that eventually got someone's plane impounded at a German airport. Moral of the story? Great big concrete thingies don't necessarily mean anything useful, and they certainly don't mean progress of any kind at all - not in Thailand anyway, they might well be just a part of a grand gesture, and a grand scam. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KiwiKiwi said:

Some years ago in Australia, there was a huge and long-running ad campaign for an imitation beer called Claytons ' - the beer you have when you're not having a beer'. Non-alcoholic as I recall.

Reminds me a lot of many things in Thailand. In this case, it's the railway you build when you're not building a railway.

Another member posted that 'There's a lot of biiiiig concrete thingies going up' (or words to that effect). In Hua Hin I recall - well placed to impress perhaps. Right. I'm reminded of the concrete thingies on the way to Don Mueang (Viphawadee-Rangsit I think), that were a part of a huge Thai scam of a German construction company that eventually got someone's plane impounded at a German airport. Moral of the story? Great big concrete thingies don't necessarily mean anything useful, and they certainly don't mean progress of any kind at all - not in Thailand anyway, they might well be just a part of a grand gesture, and a grand scam. 

Yeah, being cynical myself, that same thought about the Hopewell project on the way to Don Muang had occurred to me too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Eh .! Have we missed something .. we thought Patek Prawit was deputy dawg but then we have been away .. Or is Doc Somkid a stand in , a sort of agency deputy ..

Hmmm. Somkid making his run for a position of Panjandrum of a political party to get his boss elected to something. Patek Prawit can't afford to have his fingerprints on anything like that of course, since he's likely to be a joint beneficiary (deputy PM one assumes).

Somkid is known for being a bit of a changeable wind, he was a trusted confidant of Thaksin as I recall, but switched to Prayuth once the right inducements were offered. One to watch , this guy, and not in a good way.

Once a quisling, always a quisling. I'm reminded of the story about the frog and the scorpion. It's in his nature.

Edited by KiwiKiwi

On 7/13/2018 at 10:07 AM, webfact said:

Dr. Somkid said the State Railways of Thailand (SRT) is the key driving engine to drive several projects this year, and its main projects should not be delayed

Hes a funny guy.

SRT is never delayed ?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, coulson said:
On 7/13/2018 at 9:07 AM, webfact said:

Dr. Somkid said the State Railways of Thailand (SRT) is the key driving engine to drive several projects this year, and its main projects should not be delayed

Hes a funny guy.

SRT is never delayed ?

Yeah, he may be a comedian, but he delivers the lines deadpan.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:33 AM, bluesofa said:

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy: Oh my aching sides!

Surely the High-Speed Bullshit Express must be nearly complete by now.

They just need the tracks, trains and stations and it's done. No problemo.

Edited by berybert
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1