Cathay Pacific lands first Airbus A350-1000 at Suvarnabhumi

webfact

14 hours ago, ncc1701d said:

What’s wrong with “Angle-flat”? They are still flat bed. I believe a lot of business class are the herringbone design or some variant of that.

19 hours ago, tso310 said:

Standard business class these days, wish I could afford it. Of more interest is that both the Cathay 900 and 100 series have Premium Economy.

I think you might not understand what "angle flat" seats are?  It does not refer to flat seats, parallel to the floor, that are askew from the aisle (i.e. not parallel to the aisle.)  Rather they are flat, but angled from a higher head height to a lower foot height, in some cases the feet being basically on the floor.

Consider it like lying in bed with the head of the bed about three or four feet higher than the foot of the bed.

Edited by wpcoe
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

I think you might not understand what "angle flat" seats are?  It does not refer to flat seats, parallel to the floor, that are askew from the aisle (i.e. not parallel to the aisle.)  Rather they are flat, but angled from a higher head height to a lower foot height, in some cases the feet being basically on the floor.

Consider it like lying in bed with the head of the bed about three or four feet higher than the foot of the bed.

And impossible to sleep on if you normally sleep on your side or tummy. I prefer two economy seats over these angled lie flat business seats. 

• Like 1

I flew from ICN to JFK on the KAL 350. It was a better experience than what I'd imagined. The seats were ok although nothing more than I recall on 777. I seem to remember paradoxically tussling for restrooms. De/planning wasn't the drama I'd expected but it did take longer. The ticket wasn't markedly cheaper.

I do like Cathay, used to fly alot. Korean air is a pretty numbing experience.

A check on seatguru will confirm that all BC seats on the A350 are 180 degree lie-flat. Confusingly it says 180 degree angle-flat. As far as short haul is concerned, (eg on HKG-BKK route) there is a mix of planes and old-school recliners (not flats) are used on some of the flights.

Edited by SheungWan

1 hour ago, wpcoe said:

I don't think this is coming from someone who has used these seats.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

I don't think this is coming from someone who has used these seats.

Ohhhh, yes it is.  I have also "enjoyed" cradle seats.

42 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

Personal preference. 

IMG_7436.PNG

And the young sexy flight attendants are back in economy, and love to serve drinks....grandma with forty years experience is in business counting your drinks.

22 hours ago, JLCrab said:

With engines. BTW I flew several times the ThaiAir BKK to JFK non-stop 18 hours on an Airbus 340. That was fun.

Image result for airbus a350-1000

How can sitting down for 18 hours be classed as FUN. Pain in the ass if you ask me.....so don't ask!

On 7/13/2018 at 2:09 PM, trawler said:

Sorry but Cathay is now 10 abreast in cattle class on the new aircraft and retrofitting that in the rest of the fleet.

So nice nd shiny jet but gonna be crowded on a 17 hour hop to Washington DC?

Maybe you read the same article I did a while ago about CX smashing a 10th row into the back of their 777 fleet. 

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/economy/article/2141142/cathay-pacific-passengers-be-squeezed-smaller-seats-least

15 hours ago, wgdanson said:

How can sitting down for 18 hours be classed as FUN. Pain in the ass if you ask me.....so don't ask!

You get  up and walk around -- stand in the back  of the cabin -- flirt with the Thai Flight attendants. Marvel that you are about 8 miles up in the air traveling at 600 miles per hour. Contemplate what you will be doing when you arrive US or back in Thailand.

The secret to long distance air travel is that you have to be very good at doing absolutely nothing.

Edited by JLCrab

On 7/14/2018 at 1:55 AM, JerseytoBKK said:

NYC-HKG is almost 15 hours. No way I would accept an angle-flat seat in business. Those seats are generally used in shorter regional flights. Almost everyone uses a lie-flat seat for trans-Pacific flights.

Not sure why you added the comment about herringbone layout since it doesn't have anything to do with lie-flat and angle-flat seats.

No long haul Cathay flight uses business class angle flat. All long haul (And medium haul for that matter), will be a flat bed (parallel when in cruise) in business class.

depending on the aircraft type, you may get a regional business class seat around Asia, what you get on the day may vary, but you can see in advance which aircraft type they have at least scheduled for a particular sector for hkg to BKK.

4 hours ago, ncc1701d said:

No long haul Cathay flight uses business class angle flat.

And you have flown the new model A350-1000, first flight on 1 July 2018?

That's how the seat looks:

cathay-a350-1000-business-03.jpg

I've flown the better part of 1m miles although really slowed on the trans Pacific in last decade+.

Flying is now dire, but it's mainly the security on the ground that's a drag.

It's tedious but there's books, music, movies, alcohol and if I'm really bored I'll wake up my wife and talk to her.

I'll be damned if I'm gonna pay for bc before I'm 70 that's just ridiculous.

But in fact, I figure I've got about a dozen long haul flights left in my life and I'm done with it.

Earned my plastic pilots wings at 7yo. I've grown to loathe the experience and bc for me at least doesn't make the least bit of difference.

CX was always a favorite out of LAX connecting flight to PNH oh those were the days.

5 hours ago, Number 6 said:

I'll be damned if I'm gonna pay for bc before I'm 70 that's just ridiculous.

Earlier this month I blew 40,000 points on BC return Cathay Pacific BKK-HKG-BKK. Did it just before they put the rate up. It has gone up to 50k since June 23, but economy maybe 20k.

3 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Earlier this month I blew 40,000 points on BC return Cathay Pacific BKK-HKG-BKK. Did it just before they put the rate up. It has gone up to 50k since June 23, but economy maybe 20k. 

Were those Cathay points/miles? I use American miles and have taken around 8 BC trips in the last 3 years, EWR/JFK-HKG-BKK. Used to be 110,000 points but 2 years ago they changed to to 140,000. Wondering if they'll increase the cost again. FC used to be 135,000 but is now 210,000. I'm glad I splurged on 2 FC trips (Cathay and JAL) before the price jumped 2 years ago because those were unforgettable trips.

A couple of years ago I was at DFW awaiting an American Airlines flight to Tokyo and standing near the gate desk. There was a small older Japanese woman with a brimmed hat speaking with the AA gate manager and I overheard that she was flying on a 1st Class ticket. I said to myself: That looks like Yoko Ono. But she is all by herself with no entourage etc. so that can't be Yoko Ono.

But later I looked at some pictures and other references: That was Yoko Ono.

Edited by JLCrab

2 hours ago, JLCrab said:

A couple of years ago I was at DFW awaiting an American Airlines flight to Tokyo and standing near the gate desk. There was a small older Japanese woman with a brimmed hat speaking with the AA gate manager and I overheard that she was flying on a 1st Class ticket. I said to myself: That looks like Yoko Ono. But she is all by herself with no entourage etc. so that can't be Yoko Ono.

But later I looked at some pictures and other references: That was Yoko Ono.

If you can accumulate 210,000 points on American Airlines, it's definitely a once in a lifetime experience to fly 1st class on either Cathay or JAL. Even after they cut down on the outrageous points giveaways from 4 years ago, it can still be done with credit cards in less than 12 months for US based addresses.

On Cathay, 1st class has 6 seats and 2 flight attendants. 2 bathrooms, with one being like 8x8 feet - huge. Meal starts off with caviar. $200 bottles of champagne. Of course I had at least 2 bottles. Pajamas and they put a Sealy mattress on your "bed" when you go to change into the PJs.They make you feel like a rock star or someone who owns a small country.

The Cathay roundtrip flight cost me 135,000 points but sold for $24,000. Not worth anywhere near $24,000 for someone like me but it was definitely worth 135,000 points.

I no longer accumulate anywhere near that level of mileage and I don't drink so the DomP is wasted on me.

These days I fly to Atlanta on Korean. I once flew 1st class from Hong Kong but in the 1990's that was just a bigger seat no bed or compartment.

From the late 1980's through mid-1990's I used to travel back & forth often enough so that I once walked into the United Airlines HKG-Kowloon side office and the agent said "Nice to see you again, Mr. Crab."

Edited by JLCrab

8 hours ago, SheungWan said:

5 hours ago, JerseytoBKK said:

Were those Cathay points/miles?

Yes. Asia Miles. https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-awards/flight-awards.html