Koncept vs. Ikea..is it same/same?

moontang

Finally visited Westgate and Ikea..actually bought something..at the BigC next door.  Was just underwhelmed at IKEA.  Seen a lot of people bash Koncept over the years..but what are the diffetences.  OTOH, I looked at real wood furniture yesterday, and the prices they are asking are outrageous.  Do they bargain much on those...not Ethan Allen, but a whole street of mom pops.  So, now I am ready for some cardboard stuff...should I just go to Koncept , would OfficeMate be better for chair and desk?

I got my desk chairs from ikea and I use them every day and they are great. I did not buy cheap quality but one a bit more expensive 8000-10000 one.. the cheaper ones dont last a year as i sit on it every day. But the more expensive ones last 2-3 years. The ones i bought in other places died quite fast.

12 hours ago, moontang said:

how about a standard round table and those comfortable but hard wooden chairs..teak or monkey..about 6500 for a five piece set.  Anyone seen them in BKK?

I'm also looking for more teak furniture and have visited hundreds of teakshops...it's very expensive now and they sell laminated teak for the price of real massive teak..Very happy that i already bought so much teak.

But a round table with 4 chairs, all teak will cost you 30-35k baht i assume. And test all the chairs well if they are not wobbly, they will blame the floor for that but test it on a real flat floor yourself!

Teak will last forever, Ikea maybe 10 years or so..still don't know if the termites eat Ikea woodchips.

On 7/15/2018 at 2:35 AM, Thian said:

I'm also looking for more teak furniture and have visited hundreds of teakshops...it's very expensive now and they sell laminated teak for the price of real massive teak..Very happy that i already bought so much teak.

But a round table with 4 chairs, all teak will cost you 30-35k baht i assume. And test all the chairs well if they are not wobbly, they will blame the floor for that but test it on a real flat floor yourself!

Teak will last forever, Ikea maybe 10 years or so..still don't know if the termites eat Ikea woodchips.

The price of teak furniture will vary depending upon where you buy it. We bought quite a bit of teak and monkeypod furniture last year in Phuket, and prices seemed reasonable. In particular, very sturdy, heavy solid teak dining chairs for about 5K each and a 150cm wide custom made teak china cabinet for about 40k. Most of the teak furniture sold in the shops in BKK and elsewhere comes from the area around ChiangMai.

When we were up in Phrae last year, I saw a lot of solid teak furniture at bargain prices. Round tables were well under 10k, and chairs similar to the ones we bought were around 2,500. Some beautiful, large teak desks were under 20k. There's a main road just outside of town that's lined with teak furniture shops on both sides. Some good quality, some not so good - you need to spend the time to look and compare.

• Like 1

Bought a lot of furniture in koncept and Winner but every thing Thai seems to be chip board without even a waterproof glue .Wash the tiled floor, the furniture chip board swells then you find out the finish is not melamine but paper........... Crap. ........Don't know about Ikea its over 200 kilometres away

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrDave said:

The price of teak furniture will vary depending upon where you buy it. We bought quite a bit of teak and monkeypod furniture last year in Phuket, and prices seemed reasonable. In particular, very sturdy, heavy solid teak dining chairs for about 5K each and a 150cm wide custom made teak china cabinet for about 40k. Most of the teak furniture sold in the shops in BKK and elsewhere comes from the area around ChiangMai.

When we were up in Phrae last year, I saw a lot of solid teak furniture at bargain prices. Round tables were well under 10k, and chairs similar to the ones we bought were around 2,500. Some beautiful, large teak desks were under 20k. There's a main road just outside of town that's lined with teak furniture shops on both sides. Some good quality, some not so good - you need to spend the time to look and compare.

that is Baan Tawaan...in Hang Dong, yes order good, but it is still fairly tough to dea! with them..much not marked and the price changes by the hour.  An insulting offer, might be the magic number...And there is a huge problem with any holes in that village.  I paid 4500 for two large sturdy chairs and a small table..kind of indoor/outdoor.

Apparently the Europeans will pay stupid prices...And that is never good for the locals.

Most cheap furniture are made of mdf boards. I think ikea has better covering around the edges so  its a bit more waterproof. I would go with Ikea over Koncept, Koncept is SB furnitures low end line. They are not build to last if you are picking their cheapest stuff, Koncepts closets that are gloss coated are decent. I have a set that was in used for over 20 years! My family we take good care of our things, perhaps thats why it lasted so long too.

A well made rubber wood funiture set is a good balance between quality and price.

I've not been that impressed with Koncept.  For local stores, my partner and I do more furniture shopping at Chic Republic, Lifestyle at Boonthavorn, and Index.  In furnishing our new condo, we got a good quality leather sofa at Chic, bedside tables at Lifestyle, and Sealy bed and bed frame at Index.  We bought everything at a discount--you can bargain at name brand stores.

IKEA is great for things that are hard to find elsewhere.  They have a very good selection of rugs in larger sizes, which we struggle to find anywhere else.  We wanted a large ottoman with storage to serve as a coffee table (with tray) in our living room.  IKEA had by far the best selection of sizes, styles, and fabric choices. If someone spills a glass of red wine on it, no problem--we can get a replacement slipcover for it.  IKEA also has a good selection of outdoor furniture, mirrors, lighting, and bookcases, and storage furniture.   

IKEA carries some clever furniture.  In one of our condos with a small bedroom we used a daybed from IKEA that opens up into a full-size bed. And, it managed to have two big storage drawers, to boot.  

For wood furniture, you can get good pieces at good prices if you shop around local stores.  We found a beautiful Chinese style dining set on a street in Bangkok that was all furniture makers.  Just takes some shopping around.

On 7/14/2018 at 4:21 AM, Bang Bang said:

I bought a swivel chair from Office Mate twice. Crap, didn't last 3 months. I should have learned a lesson the first time.

Yes, was about to chip in after I heard office mate.

Useless and over priced.

i bought a chair for 2500B that was in discount from a much higher price, same story within a month or two it was torn and uncomfortable, when I discovered Lazada I found the same chair for way less than half the price.

if you look at youtube you will see a lot of office your videos praising the IKEA MARKUS chair.

Im still searching for a halfway decent office chair.

I bought lots of stuff from Ikea in my home country, and planned to do the same this year in LOS. But Ikea did not do online ordering, so I would have had to go to Bangkok and arrange. So we checked out the local stores and bought from Index. Free delivery for the large order, assembled by them, and excellent quality, Thai-made, and significantly cheaper. And I prefer most of it to the Ikea offerings. The only thing is to find a helpful salesperson - the first one we had was a bit useless.

31 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Im still searching for a halfway decent office chair.

Have you checked out Rockworth? After the latest Office Mate calamity I went to the Rockworth showroom and somewhat hesitantly picked up their cheapest swivel office chair offering, about 8000b.

Worth every danged satang. Still sit and work on it 4 years on. As comfortable as the day I brought it home.

Edited by Bang Bang

Have you checked out Rockworth? After the latest Office Mate calamity I went to the Rockworth showroom and somewhat hesitantly picked up their cheapest swivel office chair offering, about 8000b.

Worth every danged satang. Still sit and work on it 4 years on. As comfortable as the day I brought it home.

Thanks, I will enquirer. I’m not in BKK so it’s a bit difficult.

I was happy to pay 5-10k but you can never tell what you are buying here, price doesn’t seem to be an indication of quality when it comes to office chairs.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, moontang said:

that is Baan Tawaan...in Hang Dong, yes order good, but it is still fairly tough to dea! with them..much not marked and the price changes by the hour.  An insulting offer, might be the magic number...And there is a huge problem with any holes in that village.  I paid 4500 for two large sturdy chairs and a small table..kind of indoor/outdoor.

Apparently the Europeans will pay stupid prices...And that is never good for the locals.

No, not Baan Tawaan. That's in Hang Dong (ChiangMai), and is oriented toward tourists and other foreigners.

I was speaking of a specific furniture zone in changwat Phrae, just outside of muang Phrae. Phrae has some sort of government sponsored teak industry, which includes managing local teak plantations.

7 hours ago, recom273 said:

Thanks, I will enquirer. I’m not in BKK so it’s a bit difficult.

I was happy to pay 5-10k but you can never tell what you are buying here, price doesn’t seem to be an indication of quality when it comes to office chairs.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Rockworth came highly recommended as the canonical source for quality office furniture and it's certainly lived up to its reputation in my case. Check out their online catalog. They might deliver. 

I can't believe I'm the 20th poster and no one has suggested Index. Much, much better quality than Koncept. Check out Index Living Mall.

Another vote for Index !

Furniture came with the house but we needed some more , dining table and 6 chairs, wardrobe for spare bedroom , etc.

Furniture we had is Winner brand and ( IMO ) is good so went to Index Living Mall , Rangsit.
Huge selection and very easy to find something that matches our existing furniture.

IKEA is okay for the odd thing, many off the wall ideas and modern designs.

Koncept ?, wasn’t very impressed but to be honest was only looking for one particular type/colour of table which they didn’t have so didn’t browse too much.