Thai Gov’t monitoring online information

rooster59

6 hours ago, RocketDog said:

One word of advice covers a lot of issues here: VPN.

don't cruise the web without it.

A good one like ExpressVPN cannot ever reveal your true identity or location . Even if forced by governments, the technology simply makes it impossible. Data is encrypted from your computer, thru your ISP, and into the VPN sever owned by your VPN company in the location you choose from many across the world. Then that server connects to the web.. All that can be determined is that somebody with anonymous IP  address connected to the web in that country. If you want you can even change that country every week or every hour to further muddy your trail.

However, once you start posting on websites you are exposing yourself with whatever information you give that site. Such as the ignoble Fakebook.

I must say that using that service is akin to walking into a burning barn just to see the pretty lights dance. That said, much of the world had become incomprehensible to me lately. Your mileage may vary.

I got one years ago to defeat the intense level of snooping that my own ISP and dear government (that Shining Land across the sea with the Yellow Baboon) has chosen to plague its citizens with.

It has served me well in travels around the world and hardly a day goes by that I don't thank myself for the protection I have gotten for $110/year.

Oh,and add a Tracking blocker such as Ghostery to your browser. You will likewise thank yourself for that.

If you value your privacy in the least, Gear Up people. It's a war out there and it's dangerous to your well-being to be naive about the forces arrayed against you. They seek every scrap of information they can obtain on you and will use it against you in every way possible. Crazy? Absolutely. True? Absolutely.

I have made an avocation of protecting my identity on the web and safeguarding my data for several years now, and stay abreast of the threat and possible countermeasures.

And before your ask, no, I don't have a tinfoil hat. I have fashioned a custom one for myself using multiple layers of copper sheet and Graphite fiber. A bit heavy but well worth the effort!

Fully support this. Very sensible. VPN, don't leave home without one. A fine way of waving the middle finger in their direction.

What was the minimum guage of copper you needed to establish a Faraday Cage around your noggin?

Edited by KiwiKiwi
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, robblok said:

That is faking the other way around, using fake news to placate people. Anyway you know that that case would never be handled here. That is the problem with fake news.. who decides what is fake especially in Thailand.

I was just saying that I understand the problems with fake news, I wonder actually why in Thailand they need this extra law given that defamation laws are extreme here (over the top real something that should be abolished from the criminal code and moved to private law). Right now I would say the defamation laws would do exactly what this law is intended to do. 

It is quite astonishing how much Little P. and Tiny Don have in common. Both possess very average intelligence. Both have very low self esteem (you would never know it with Don, with the level of bragadacchio he engages in, but we all know that is just covering up his self loathing), both are very thin skinned, therefore not well developed "men". Both are in love with the idea of using the fake news narrative as a way of deflecting from their constant mistakes, and lack of judgment. The media despises both of them, for good reasons. Both despise the common man, and non millionaires, both want to be dictators, both despise democracy, both are completely lacking in vision, any sort of integrity, concern for the safety or well being of their people, and both are terribly unimpressive people, with no relationship whatsoever to the concept of truth. And lastly, both are doing a poor job with the economy (despite protestations to the contrary with regard to Tiny Don). The average American is a hurting puppy. Only 10% are benefitting from the charlatans policies. However, Little P. is far better looking than the orange man. LOL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, KiwiKiwi said:

A fine post to my mind, though I suspect you have too much faith in the ability or willingness of the feudal barons to change. Every single instance I know of has seen them resisting change, even to the point of killing people to make their point. I see no signs of a change in this, if there were, Prayuth would surely be on his bike and pedalling off by now. No, They will stonewall, obfuscate and ignore, simply because it's always worked in the past.

I believe that for things to change requires a blood sacrifice, or, as you more succinctly put it, blood and snot on the walls. This is always required when the fat cats aren't bright enough to see the writing on the wall, and that does seem to be the case in Thailand.

The determining factor is whether Thais, often idle beyond fathoming and none too bright, can be bothered to make a stand on principle. I'm betting they won't be able to. It's easier to count on the old ways of patronage and face.

Thank you.

I wouldn't be so sure that "patronage and face" will keep the wheels on much longer. The ultimate patron has gone, and with him the unspoken deal which held the social system together.

Couple that with the "authorities" inability to control what is now probably the most influential form of media, and the snowball is poised to staet rolling.

You are right in your assessment of those "in power' They won't change. That will finish them.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JAG said:

Thank you.

I wouldn't be so sure that "patronage and face" will keep the wheels on much longer. The ultimate patron has gone, and with him the unspoken deal which held the social system together.

Couple that with the "authorities" inability to control what is now probably the most influential form of media, and the snowball is poised to staet rolling.

You are right in your assessment of those "in power' They won't change. That will finish them.

I am not so sure...not so confident about your predictions.

I think that Thailand has built into it vast reserves of inertia.I would almost say that the inertia is part of the deal.For there is a "social contract" here-but it isn't one that we are used to seeing in the West.

48 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

It is quite astonishing how much Little P. and Tiny Don have in common. Both possess very average intelligence. Both have very low self esteem (you would never know it with Don, with the level of bragadacchio he engages in, but we all know that is just covering up his self loathing), both are very thin skinned, therefore not well developed "men". Both are in love with the idea of using the fake news narrative as a way of deflecting from their constant mistakes, and lack of judgment. The media despises both of them, for good reasons. Both despise the common man, and non millionaires, both want to be dictators, both despise democracy, both are completely lacking in vision, any sort of integrity, concern for the safety or well being of their people, and both are terribly unimpressive people, with no relationship whatsoever to the concept of truth. And lastly, both are doing a poor job with the economy (despite protestations to the contrary with regard to Tiny Don). The average American is a hurting puppy. Only 10% are benefitting from the charlatans policies. However, Little P. is far better looking than the orange man. LOL.

Well spotted on the self-loathing, I hadn't seen that, but you're right. Also right about the very average intelligence and much else that you write.

Orange man. LOL! I love the way he curls the corners of his mouth down when he thinks solemnity or gravitas are called for. Terribly impressed by the orange man, is the orange man. Still, some Americans seem to like him, which all goes to show...

Edited by KiwiKiwi

43 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Amazing that Donald Trum has been worked into a thread aboutThai gov't surveillance

45 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Amazing to see that Donald Trump has been worked into a thread (any thread really) about Thai Gov't surveillance.

Still..not a surprise here..anything from somtam to shonkey cars seems to fit the bill...

12 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

I think that Thailand has built into it vast reserves of inertia.I would almost say that the inertia is part of the deal.For there is a "social contract" here-but it isn't one that we are used to seeing in the West.

Indeed it isn't. In Thailand, the 'social contract' is more along the lines of 'you give me your money and I'll kick you in the goolies' - that kind of thing.

7 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Amazing that Donald Trum has been worked into a thread aboutThai gov't surveillance

Amazing to see that Donald Trump has been worked into a thread (any thread really) about Thai Gov't surveillance.

Still..not a surprise here..anything from somtam to shonkey cars seems to fit the bill...

Always 'open season' on Trump. Or should be. I loved watching him perform in EU and UK, bound to be the stuff of legends. Ah well, back on topic...

1 minute ago, KiwiKiwi said:

Indeed it isn't. In Thailand, the 'social contract' is more along the lines of 'you give me your money and I'll kick you in the goolies' - that kind of thing.

I don't think so...there are many rewards built into such a system-including completely anarchic driving,low (if any) taxation,lack of a genuine work ethic..over employment...etc..

The system would be perfectly familiar to Romans,Greeks,Han Chinese,Ottoman Turks-or 15th century Europeans,for that matter.

17 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

The "social contract" was epitomised by the concluding act to the events of May 1992.

It no longer exists. It is replaced by the threat of force, through "law" or actual force.

I am reading a very good novel of life in Bombay (Mumbai) in the 80's 

'Shantaram'

As I was there at about the same time I can assure you that he is describing exactly the same phenomena as we see in Thailand.

The ancient patron/client/clan system is alive and well throughout the East.

1 minute ago, JAG said:

The "social contract" was epitomised by the concluding act to the events of May 1992.

It no longer exists. It is replaced by the threat of force, through "law" or actual force.

Possibly..but I don't think so'

I have never stated that it was a "democratic" social contract-and ,of course,it still exists..otherwise you would have complete anarchy and Thomas Hobbes would be saying "I told you so.."

Leviathan still exists and is going strong.

Whether that is "right" or not is a completely different matter.

24 minutes ago, KiwiKiwi said:

Always 'open season' on Trump. Or should be. I loved watching him perform in EU and UK, bound to be the stuff of legends. Ah well, back on topic...

Nope,any gratuitous mentioning of the chap should be sent straight back to the US with a demand for a 5 cent refund.Keep him where he belongs.?

Which is not on this thread.

On 7/14/2018 at 6:24 PM, Spidey said:

Fair warning to all those TVF Thai bashers.

I would love to see some of the moronic, obnoxious, racist, posters who contribute nothing get hit with sanctions.

You can see them in every topic, in every Forum, spouting their drivel.

Some time in Big Tiger would no doubt help with this.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

I would love to see some of the moronic, obnoxious, racist, posters who contribute nothing get hit with sanctions.

You can see them in every topic, in every Forum, spouting their drivel.

Some time in Big Tiger would no doubt help with this.

Ah. You must be the token Thai-lover. Welcome.

But do try not to be offensive to those who have different opinions - and other loves. Agin da roolz ya see.

1 hour ago, Odysseus123 said:

I don't think so...there are many rewards built into such a system-including completely anarchic driving,low (if any) taxation,lack of a genuine work ethic..over employment...etc..

The system would be perfectly familiar to Romans,Greeks,Han Chinese,Ottoman Turks-or 15th century Europeans,for that matter.

Indeed. Ideally suited for pretty much anywhere 600 years ago.

The problem is...

20 hours ago, Eligius said:

I think most Thais see the truth about the junta. That is not the problem.

The problem is that THEY DON'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT!

That's always the problem, friend. It's generally the smarter among us who give sufficient of a damn to do something, and in this case, they can't do anything because they don't have a vote. Fortunately, populations are easy to propagandize using fair means or foul. More ways to skin a cat.

Edited by KiwiKiwi
  • Like 1

On 7/15/2018 at 8:24 AM, Spidey said:

Fair warning to all those TVF Thai bashers.

Big Joke's comin' at ya!

Yeah well, "Thai bashers" aside, all depends on who's version of the truth you agree with ... doesn't it :closedeyes:

• Like 1

On 7/14/2018 at 9:33 PM, Eligius said:

The monitoring and ruthless attack upon dissidents will get more intense as we approach the 'election' (which will be a long time in coming).

Worrying times ...

Exactly right. Along with monitoring any "fake news" they will be looking for any accurate news that may portray them in a negative light.Honesty may come with a price! 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, balo said:

My internet speed is very slow these days compared to only a few months ago , I wonder if Prayut got someting to do with it? 

Big P has tasked Little P with reading your emails and he is very "slow" so yes, Prayut has a lot to do with the slow speed of your internet service, Should speed up after the election though! 

On 7/15/2018 at 7:37 PM, canthai55 said:

racist, posters

On 7/15/2018 at 8:15 PM, KiwiKiwi said:

But do try not to be offensive to those who have different opinions - and other loves. Agin da roolz ya see.

Racism is not an opinion -

Racism

noun

prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

• Like 1