VIDEO: British cave explorer Vern Unsworth considers legal action against Elon Musk

webfact

3 minutes ago, canopy said:

The problem with your statement is I am not forgiving Elon and have criticized him here for what he said. Unlike others, I am capable of seeing when someone does something right, and when they do something wrong. 

then you need glasses

21 minutes ago, canopy said:

The "cave 5" reference was a response to show vern was telling porkies on CNN that it couldn't make it 50 meters. Elon could probably make it orbit the earth if he wanted to. 

But "cave 5' was nowhere near the boys. He even said when he was there, a surface swim to cave 5 was possible, because the water was that low. Vern said the ElonPod would not have made it 50 meters from where the boys where located, not from where Musk was brought to.

Edited by AdamBernau
  • Like 1

I just listened to the video again and see I had missed a crucial part of what Vern said: "it wouldn't have made the first 50 meters into the cave...from the dive start point." Does anyone have a map showing cave 5 and the dive start point? That would add a lot of clarity on what these two are on about.

2 minutes ago, canopy said:

I just listened to the video again and see I had missed a crucial part of what Vern said: "it wouldn't have made the first 50 meters into the cave...from the dive start point." Does anyone have a map showing cave 5 and the dive start point? That would add a lot of clarity on what these two are on about.

LOl. trying to second guess the site divers with zero experience, no feel of the layout etc days after the fact on a chat forum full of armchair exspurts! 

• Like 1

LOl. not true. First, seeing the map is not for "trying to second guess" and second you know nothing of my experience nor does it even matter. Making up BS about other people makes you look bad and someone has to say it. A map would be an excellent visual aid 100% relevant to this topic. Just because you may personally not wish to see one is no reason to post nonsense about other people.

Edited by canopy
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, billd766 said:

Do I wonder if I am also a pedo?

Hang on, I will ask my wife of 18 years plus 7 years before that we were friends.

My wife just laughed, so I asked my 14 year old son and my neighbours 13 year old daughter. When I explained what it meant they also laughed.

I find it hilarious that anyone would actually go around asking people if they think you're a pedo, it sets a really strange vibe - they must be thinking "why the hell would he bring up something so dark" ? 

PS I don't live anywhere near Pattaya either.

Would you like to change your mind once again?

Well if you don't live in Pattaya then that post means its not related to you - so why would I change my mind?

3 hours ago, Yeahbutwhytho said:

I find it hilarious that anyone would actually go around asking people if they think you're a pedo, it sets a really strange vibe - they must be thinking "why the hell would he bring up something so dark" ? 

Well if you don't live in Pattaya then that post means its not related to you - so why would I change my mind?

It was you however that brought the subject up. I merely responded and gave you an answer.

Something that you seem to change your mind on between posts.

Firstly it was only Thailand and then you changed it to Pattaya in your next post.

Would you like to change the location again?

10 hours ago, canopy said:

LOl. not true. First, seeing the map is not for "trying to second guess" and second you know nothing of my experience nor does it even matter. Making up BS about other people makes you look bad and someone has to say it. A map would be an excellent visual aid 100% relevant to this topic. Just because you may personally not wish to see one is no reason to post nonsense about other people.

lol. a map is far from detailed enough to analyze the safe passage of a submersible. lemme know when you have detailed dimensioned cross sections every 6 inches at every  choke point. as the divers said, it wouldnt have worked in the time they had. period

• Like 1

On 7/16/2018 at 3:14 PM, darksidedog said:

Very sad that this story that was so full of joy has degenerated like this. Musk should apologise immediately and hope Mr. Unsworth will let the matter lie. I wonder if he has any idea how nasty the Thai defamation laws are?

Thai defamation laws here don’t matter. In order to get any money he would have to sue in the USA where he would likely lose because you are entitled to have your own opinion there and that would likely be the base of musk’s defense.

in Thailand the person with the most money generally wins so Musk wins again.

in a few weeks this mans fame will be forgotten but imagine Prayuts joy if Elon Musk decided to visit him.

12 minutes ago, Mace648 said:

He should sue him for 14 million (one for each kid in the cave) and then if he doesnt want to keep it he could give a million to each kid.

14 million what?

Aside from whether he would actually win any case or not, Mr. Unsworth does not own a resort hotel in Chiang Rai and has suffered massive cancelled bookings because of being called a 'pedo'. He has suffered no tangible damage from this. These type things are taken into account in assessing damges should he, again, actually win any case.

Edited by JLCrab

12 hours ago, JLCrab said:

14 million what?

Aside from whether he would actually win any case or not, Mr. Unsworth does not own a resort hotel in Chiang Rai and has suffered massive cancelled bookings because of being called a 'pedo'. He has suffered no tangible damage from this. These type things are taken into account in assessing damges should he, again, actually win any case.

His most valuable possession, his reputation and standing in the world has been irrepressibly damaged by this irresponsible accusation. and he MUST be compensated for this travesty. 100 years ago  Musk would have been shot between the eyes for this but today the only recourse available is the legal system. BTW I am referring to 14 million USD . I would think that would be obvious but I guess some people need things explained in detail.

14 hours ago, JLCrab said:

14 million what?

In general this might be right especially if we exclude the USA, but the money involved in compensation claims in the USA is far different and can often be ridiculous both in shape and size:

https://www.gobankingrates.com/making-money/wealth/crazy-lawsuits-settlements/

The lawsuits in that article are not defamation suits and all were based on harm or being cheated. And the case in the USA against Musk would likely require proof of malice which is a very high hurdle not at play in most defamtion cases.

And if Unsworth were to sue, at least in the USA , how do you think a jury would act upon seeing the video of this that was played  on CNN and seen by millions of viewers worldwide?

V_U CNN.png

Edited by JLCrab

6 hours ago, davidst01 said:

its worth it for him to take  him to civil court. big payout

Hmmm. Maybe. If he wins. So far as I'm concerned, he might as well have 'PayPal' tattooed on his forehead. I'm not a fan, so perhaps that's preconditioning me.