VIDEO: British cave explorer Vern Unsworth considers legal action against Elon Musk

webfact

VIDEO: British cave explorer Vern Unsworth considers legal action against Elon Musk

vu.jpg

Vern Unsworth//File photo

British cave explorer Vern Unsworth says he hasn’t ruled out taking legal action against Elon Musk after the tech billionaire called him a pedophile.

On Sunday Musk launched an astonishing attack on the Chiang Rai based British cave explorer who is regarded as a by many hero for his role in the rescue of 12 boys and their football coach from the Tham Luang cave in Chiang Rai.

Musk’s bizarre attack came after Mr Unsworth said that the “kid sized submarine” Musk had built for the rescue of the boys and which he delivered personally to the cave was impractical, “had no chance of working” and was nothing more than a “PR stunt”.

In an interview with CNN which came to light over the weekend, Mr Unsworth told Musk to “stick the submarine where it hurts”.

musk-screenshot.jpg

"It just had absolutely no chance of working," he said.

“He (Elon Musk) had no conception of what the cave passage was like.”

On Sunday, Musk fired back with a series of tweets where he said that Mr Unsworth living in Thailand was “sus”, suggesting that the only reason the British expat would choose to live in Thailand was to be involved in child sex tourism.

He then wrote: "Sorry pedo guy, you really did ask for it."

The tweets were then quickly deleted but not before Twitter users took screenshots and shared the images around the world.

But in an interview with Channel 7 News Sydney, Mr Unsworth confirmed he is considering taking legal action against the tech billionaire.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-07-16
  • Sad 1

I also see this is an unfair attack on all white expats in Thailand. That's what many ignorant Americans think about Thailand. There are often jokes about that in Hollywood movies. You would think someone sophisticated like Musk would know better. 

However, I hate to be cynical about this but if the Thailand connection thing gets too hot for Musk he may withdraw his interest in INVESTING in Thailand, which he has voiced. That wouldn't be good. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 minute ago, pkspeaker said:

The difference is that peodophiles really exist where-as a statement like 'stick it' is rude BUT NOT slanderous.  If your on honest hardworking family man and this jerk who-is a very prominent business man and celebrity says your a child-rapest.. That cannot go un answered and Musk will have to retract it with damages.

Some People think that people in power are from an other species. They are not, they are just like you and me but because of some skills and a lot of luck find themselves where they are.

Did Musk over react ? yes, and he knows it that's why he deleted the tweet.

But tell me if someone questions your character, by asserting mercenary motives to your generosity. and then told you to stick it up your arse. How will you react? will you bend over?  (I am sure you will not)

I know how I will react . 

I have in the past , as I am sure you have also , and in my case it was not always pretty.

As I said both sides have not acted admirable IMO but Vern start it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I have no idea what's going on with this, and am not inclined to take the time to figure it out.

But it seemed to me, in the original thread on this, there was an assertion that "pedo" is some kind of common term/slang used among divers as in torpedo man.

Can anyone with diving experience chime in on whether "pedo" has a different/alternate slang meaning among that particular group?

9 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

And by the way, Musk actually insulted you, and me, since in another tweet (it was a tweetstorm, not only one tweet...see my link above) he wrote that he didn't "see another reason for a white man to live in Thailand"!

I did not see the other Tweet, but I did think the same as you , if you read my PS you will see that I said :

20 minutes ago, sirineou said:

PS:As a family men with long ties to Thailand  I also did not like the "pedo" comment Musk made. In doing so he has insulted every expat in Thailand and Thailand it's self and needs to apologize. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I have no idea what's going on with this, and am not inclined to take the time to figure it out.

But it seemed to me, in the original thread on this, there was an assertion that "pedo" is some kind of common term/slang used among divers as in torpedo man.

Can anyone with diving experience chime in on whether "pedo" has a different/alternate slang meaning among that particular group?

I think - unless I am mistaken - that the poster who made that comment was being sarcastic/ humorous, and was saying that Musk might come up with some such feeble, invented defence ('oh, it's a term used by divers ...'). I think that is what the poster meant. I don't think 'pedo' is normally a word used by divers of themselves or others.

But what do I know? I am no diver!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eligius said:

I think - unless I am mistaken - that the poster who made that comment was being sarcastic/ humorous, and was saying that Musk might come up with some such feeble, invented defence ('oh, it's a term used by divers ...'). I think that is what the poster meant. I don't think 'pedo' is normally a word used by divers of themselves or others.

But what do I know? I am no diver!

Nor am I, hence the question....

Not to mention, Musk is one of the richest and most powerful men in the world, worth something like $20 billion U.S.  His companies build space ships and Tesla electric cars, among other things.

It would seem almost inconceivable that such a person would respond even to a public insult by a Joe public citizen by throwing back the P word in its criminal context --  even if his caves submarine wasn't used by the Thai authorities in the rescue.

And here I was hoping it would all come to a happy ending for all involved... (except for the Thai SEAL, of course).

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

31 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

If you read carefully Musk's tweet, he is in fact accusing ALL the White men living in Thailand to be pedophiles.

Maybe a case for a mass tort lawyer here...

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-07-15/twitter-meltdown-elon-musk-calls-thai-cave-diver-pedophile

I don't see that or are you referring to the comment made by Kumail Nanjiani??