Securing residency

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Why pick on Thai ladies, I've been screwed over by every lady I was daft enough to trust.

Haha, you are right, we men are always the losers in that game..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hellohello123 said:

Weve been throgh this before. On other threads

Would you drive your car without insurance? 

Many people do; however, relationships are not cars.

What in the world would lead you to believe that you would have a viable interest in the property and house because you are buying a few household appliances? Your interest in the property is zero, nothing, nada. Do you actually think a few appliances buys a guarantee of rent free living?  Your thinking is strange at best.

3 hours ago, fxe1200 said:

Even a usufruct may not give you security. I remember a case, when a man working in Singapore for four days a week, came home and was not allowed to enter, because his wife and her new bodybuilder-lover would no let him in. The police told them to hire a lawyer and take the case to court. The case lasted five years, and he learned, that the house meanwhile was sold and no word about a usufruct in the contract, or any other documents. His fault: He left the documentation inside the house and never placed certified copies or the originals at his work place in Singapore.

Can I call out BS on that one, because usufructs are registered at the land office. Property cannot be sold without removing the usufruct.

If your girlfriend is paying for the purchase, why would she give you legal rights over her property just because you bought some electrical appliances? That doesn't make sense.

The OP hasn’t replied to a single question. Funny that.

Clearly a fake topic.

You can own the house she can own the land

she can lease the land and House to tou for 30 years. At least secures the next 30 years

bt don’t tell the land office you are spouses

Unbelievable.....want's part ownership of the girlfriend's house (or at least it's equivalent) for supplying a few things and helping.out with a house ""makeover"?

Edited by dotpoom

7 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Unbelievable.....want's part ownership of the girlfriend's house (or at least it's equivalent) for supplying a few things and helping.out with a house ""makeover"?

Plenty of women in the west got part ownership that way (or for less).

Havent read the rest...

Buying a girlfriend a house or anything/everything  in it  ( with her name on it all )   in any country of the world only empowers her to tell you to leave !

Life is a balance ... tip it one way and its no longer balanced.

I'd like to think I have a nice Thai lady , but increasingly , round about a couple of days out  every 28,  she is starting to just say anything she wants to ... I shudder to think what she'd say if she really owned anything of substance here like the  house !

I rent.

I pay the rent.

On the next 28 day cycle , when shes  glum and lemon faced  and lost any reasonableness again...

Well its only her that can leave.

And so far , despite blaming all her unreasonableness on her 'dengs' ( periods ) she hasnt been unreasonable on herself enough to leave .

Nothing to add...

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

You can't insure against a relationship going sour. Does that explain it clearly enough for you?

youve missed the point yet again, i will explain it in more basic terms so that you might understand it

car insurance minimises the damage an accident does

its called covering your ass,

i suppose you dont have car insurnace or house insruance

8 minutes ago, hellohello123 said:

youve missed the point yet again, i will explain it in more basic terms so that you might understand it

car insurance minimises the damage an accident does

its called covering your ass,

i suppose you dont have car insurnace or house insruance

No, I'm looking at it from a different perspective. Yes, I do have car insurance. I don't have house insurance because I don't own a house.

My insurance consists of leaving 80% of my assets in Australia. I'm prepared to walk away from the other 20% here if it comes to a crunch. If you can explain on this forum how you cover your ass against a failed relationship in Thailand

in terms of protecting property here, I'm sure there would be many interested readers. IMHO it's pissing into the wind.

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

No, I'm looking at it from a different perspective. Yes, I do have car insurance. I don't have house insurance because I don't own a house.

My insurance consists of leaving 80% of my assets in Australia. I'm prepared to walk away from the other 20% here if it comes to a crunch. If you can explain on this forum how you cover your ass against a failed relationship in Thailand

in terms of protecting property here, I'm sure there would be many interested readers. IMHO it's pissing into the wind.

put it this way, the odds of a failed marriage/relationship are anything between 10-50% depending on which report or stat you look at,

if you are happy to lose all your goods, and it means nothing to you, then go for it

yes its unromantic but when the odds are so high, its just sensible, like i said unless it means nothing to you

I dont insure or protect myself against getting abudcted by aliens because the chances are a billion to one

others have mentioned a inbalance of power IF the property is being paid for by the guy in  a foregin country and if its under her name, and as we have seen and read before, this inbalance of power gets abused.

im not saying covering your ass completely against a failed marriage, but if the consequences are devastating to you , its unromantic but smart to minimise the damage, and that includes what name to put the asset that YOU paid for

putting it extremely if you are happy to lose a large chunk of your life assets over something that has 1 0-50% chance of happening, then thats up to you, but just dont come and complain after the event.

The Document you are talking about is called the "Usufruct". This gives you full use of the property for as long as you live but not ownership. You cannot Will or pass on this right to anyone else. 

This Document can be easily and quite cheaply set up by a Lawyer. Your GF will need to bring to him the Land Title Cetificate she gets when she buys this house. You both sign this Usufruct Docment at the Lawyers Office then take it to the Land Title Office to get it Registered. That takes about 3 weeks to do and then you get this New Land Title with this Usufruct attached to the land.

I don't know what type of an agreement you and your GF are trying to set up. If your GF plans to get a mortgage on this property it will be very dificult to do if there is a Usufruct on it. You may not even be able to Register a Usufruct if there already is a mortgage on it. 

But I think the big question is that if things did go South, do you still want to live in that house afterwards. Buying a house and sharing it with someone requires a lot of long term planning, through good times and bad. Not sure why she would want to give you Usufruct rights, if she is the one buyig the property.   

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

The word I was looking for was USUFRUCT....thank-you.

To answer a few questions raised;

In terms of buying a fridge and expecting ownership of a house...not the case. I am investing in the refurbishment of a property.

Have just bought the fridge, 120,000thb discount to 77,000thb. The investment amount is more than a toaster, kettle, and fridge.

I know many people will reply with ...your fridge is 1 yrs rent on my condo, etc, etc, etc. 

Been with the GF for approx 5 yrs, I don't consider my original post suggests that the relationship is on the rocks...simply I am trying to protect an 'investment'. Investment may be the wrong word (my apologies). Perhaps more like trying to secure my future peace of mind and place of lodging, ie, having spent money on a place, I would like to live there.

Not new to Thailand, though fully accept my ignorance of many aspects...hence my post.

Thanks for all the contributions.