Thailand Wins Key Liverpool Stake

george

Thaimee

The attitude displayed by quotations from the Thai principals in the news clip above your post says it all - if Thais are such masters of trade, marketing etc, why is Thailand's economy not as big as America's .... or the UK's? Why are Singapore and Hong Kong the west Pacific's financial and commercial hubs instead of Bangkok?

Dr T and his cronies need to start swallowing some very large reality pills - NOW

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chelsea are offering 30 million for Steven Gerrard.

Birmingham City have paid 6 1/2 million for Emile Heskey.

Thus there is an opportunity to get the money without involving TS.

And if David Moores would think of the club instead of his own personal animosity to Steve Morgan, then LFC would come out of the whole thing smelling of roses.

I blame DM more than TS. The old fart should step down and hand over to a more dynamic leadership.

Getting back to the topic...

How can we understand the meaning of what Thakisn want's from the deal if it isn't supposed to be self monetary gain?

Perhas the idea of establishing a Thai football academy for Thai people sounds to be on paper a welcome meal ticket for Thailand to be shuttled onto the world stage or is it laughing stock of the footballing world, i'm unsure...scratches his head?

Thaimee. :o

Morgan withdraws bid

LIVERPOOL: -- It is Thailand or bust for Liverpool after local businessman Steve Morgan announced yesterday he was withdrawing his bid for the club.

Following a week of discussion after the Anfield board dismissed his first proposal of GBP73 million (S$221 million) as 'not attractive', the British property developer submitted a revised offer but that has also been turned down by the chairman and the board.

He said: 'I am very disappointed with the outcome and feel that I have no option but to withdraw my offer. I am a proud supporter of Liverpool but feel that the uncertainty and constant speculation surrounding their future is undignified for the club and their fans.'

That leaves the GBP 60-million offer for 30 per cent of the club from Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra as the only one left on the table.

Negotiations, however, have stalled over the level of representation on the Liverpool board. The Thais want two seats while the club are offering only one.

'There definitely won't be any signing this Friday, Saturday or Sunday,' Mr Thaksin said yesterday.

'But we are trying to wrap up the deal next week because we don't want to see it drag on.'

Added Deputy Commerce Minister Pongsak Raktapongpisal: 'If further negotiations cannot be concluded, the deal may be off.'

The withdrawal of Morgan put more pressure on the Reds to agree to Mr Thaksin's demands because they need the money to buy new players and attract a big-name manager for next season.

Even though a decision on Gerard Houllier's future would not be revealed until next week, The Liverpool Echo said the club have been bombarded with applications for the manager's post.

Rafael Benitez, despite his statement on Tuesday that he would stay with Valencia for another season, has emerged as an early front-runner to take over should Houllier depart,

Having led the Spaniards to a Primera Liga and Uefa Cup double this season, he is keen to test himself in the Premiership.

Whether Liverpool would recruit a European coach with a proven track record or go for someone with Premiership experience is another matter.

Charlton's Alan Curbishley has emerged as the favourite in the latter category, but there are reservations surrounding his limited experience in European competition, with Liverpool facing a qualifier to reach the Champions League group stages in August.

French striker Djibril Cisse insists his GBP 14-million move to Liverpool from Auxerre will not be derailed if there is a change of manager at Anfield.

He said: 'I still want to go to Liverpool. Gerard Houllier's position makes no difference. I want to wear the shirt of this club.'

-- Reuters 2004-05-22

Morgan withdraws bid

I am a proud supporter of Liverpool but feel that the uncertainty and constant speculation surrounding their future is undignified for the club and their fans.'

-- Reuters 2004-05-22

I feel the same as Morgan! Truly, how embarassed is Thaksin? Thaimee. :o

funny thing isnt it that we come here and cant own anything, but Toxin can go to our country and own shares in one of our great institutions. seems to me like theres something not quite right ?

in my opinion liverpool should have told him to shove it.

toxin should stand by his own country after all Im sure $115 would go a long way to alieveating that small problem of poverty mr toxins currently addressing and assures the nation it will be a thing of the past by 2006.

If the deal finalises, which it looks like it will now, I can only say i'm thankful that the whole episode didn't drag on for weeks and I am thankful that all parties concerned reached a general satisfactory conclusion. Thaksin's Liverpool.. :D

As for Thaksin wanting to buy other premeirship clubs, where will it all stop? :D

Thaimee. [so much for my predictions, sorry!] :o:D

Sales of Liverpool merchandise surge

20% jump reported, acquisition viewed as boon to market

BANGKOK: -- Media frenzy about the Thai government's bid to acquire a 30% stake in Liverpool football club has spurred sales of merchandise bearing the English Premier League club's marque to record the highest growth rate in five years.

Vaksorn Promotion Co, a subsidiary of Siam Sports Syndicate Plc which operates a chain of Star Soccer stores offering imported soccer souvenirs, reported a 20% jump in sales over the last two weeks.

Central Trading, the operator of the Manchester United Shop at Central Lat Phrao, also expected a windfall from the entry of Liverpool merchandise shops and other related soccer businesses.

Somlak Lohtong, Vaksorn Promotion's general manager, said sales of products by the 20-year-old Star Soccer had until the last few weeks increased slowly each year.

Significant growth was seen only when a famous football team played in Thailand, as fans aged ranging from seven to 60 years old would rush to buy souvenirs such as T-shirts or scarves to wear to the match.

The best-selling Liverpool merchandise includes T-shirts, scarves, portrait miniatures, balls, glasses, VCD and DVD highlights of each match.

Ms Somlak expected sales of Liverpool merchandise to continue to increase in the near future if their prices were lower. If the Thai government seals the acquisition deal, merchandise importers here would no longer have to deal with the club's officials in the UK.

The five Star Soccer stores are located at Central Lat Phrao, Siam Discovery Centre, Fashion Island, Seacon Square and Pantip Plaza. They sell about 20 product items from various football clubs such as Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur, Chelsea, Real Madrid and Juventus, in addition to Liverpool. The products are priced from 99 to 3,200 baht.

According to Ms Somlak, Liverpool has a huge number of fans in Thailand.

''We have never intended to make much profit from this business but just wanted to complement our sports product lines,''said Ms Somlak.

The possible entry of a Liverpool store chain, however, was viewed as a boon, rather than a threat, for the local market.

Suchin Chutisiriwatana, senior manager of the Manchester United brand of Central Trading, said the opening of a stand-alone Liverpool merchandise shop or related businesses would stimulate the sports products market.

He said there was still room in Thailand to launch sports goods, particularly those of English soccer teams.

''Our sales growth is growing steadily but we believe the entry of Liverpool stand-alone shop will spur the market,'' he said.

--The Post 2004-05-23

Ms Somlak expected sales of Liverpool merchandise to continue to increase in the near future if their prices were lower.

If the Thai government seals the acquisition deal, merchandise importers here would no longer have to deal with the club's officials in the UK.

Ah Ha

So much for Intellectual Property Rights

Thais visit England for Liverpool bid talks

BANGKOK: -- Thai negotiators have flown to England for talks with premier league side Liverpool and to evaluate other clubs if the talks fail, Thai newspapers have reported.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who emerged as the sole bidder for a 30 percent stake in Liverpool after rival Steve Morgan withdrew on Friday, said on Saturday they would pursue other clubs if Liverpool rejected their offer.

Negotiations over the 4.6 billion baht bid have stalled over the level of Thai representation on the board.

Thaksin ordered Pongsak Ruktapongpisal, the chief Thai negotiator, to fly to England on Saturday to negotiate directly with the club, the Thai-language Daily News reported on Sunday.

"He said this way would be better than communicating by fax. He said he expected to know an outcome in no more than two days," the Daily News quoted the deputy commerce minister as saying.

Thai Rath newspaper reported a similar story on Sunday though officials in Pongsak's office were not available to comment.

Thaksin, a telecoms-tycoon turned politician, said on Saturday he would pursue other clubs if the Liverpool bid collapsed.

"Surely we have many choices in buying other football clubs. We are working. Our team will be going tonight and tomorrow," Thaksin told reporters on Saturday.

British building tycoon Morgan, whose bid was rebuffed by the Liverpool board earlier this month, said on Friday he was withdrawing after a revised offer was also turned down.

The Thais want two seats on the Liverpool board while the club are offering only one, Thai newspapers have reported.

Liverpool are 51 percent owned by chairman David Moores, whose family has had control for half a century, and 9.9 percent owned by television company Granada.

Thaksin has said Moores' holding would drop to around 35 percent if the deal went ahead.

Thaksin has said the Thai offer would inject 45 million pounds into the club, which needs investment to buy players and help fund the construction of a bigger stadium.

The rest will go to buy shares from existing shareholders.

--Reuters 2004-05-22

mai kow jai

his government is in the middle of a censure debate...

martial law has been declared in southern thailand because of increasing attacks on public office...

when will somebody play the " so you think thais are stupid " card...

then you might see the backlash required

:o

An interesting posting on the subject was made on Stickman's site,...

The coverage of Thaksin's intention to buy a 30% stake in Liverpool football club has really had me thinking about Thailand and its people.

I imagine that he has only ever attended matches at Anfield as an anonymous guest in the director's box up to the present time. Watching a game is a heady experience almost akin to a foreigner walking in to a Bangkok a go-go! As any football fan will know, there is tremendous excitement and energy generated by 60,000 fans at such an event. Liverpudlians take their football VERY seriously. Thaksin will never have seen, witnessed or felt anything like that ever before [just like our good selves in Nana?]So what comes next? I think you are with me on this one . . . we want to repeat the experience . . . and then to own it! As many submissions to this site will testify, that's when the problems begin! This time, the boot just might be on the other foot (pun intended!) It'll be a case of that 'Thai / Falang thing' - in reverse!

Liverpool folk expect - and demand - straight talking. Say what you mean then you do what you say. Period. Smiles, deference, Kreng-jai, and lame excuses, etc will not be tolerated. Liverpudlians are renowned for their perceptive and blunt sense of humour and have a sharp ability to see through character flaws or weaknesses. These people are independent thinkers, tough and speak their minds. They are not the kind of people to be intimidated. Anyone who knows Liverpool knows that Thaksin is in for a baptism of fire: and good luck to you, sir!

Thailand has graciously opened its borders to the 'Falang' yet - and we must accept this - it is not going to change its ways for us. They have a culture that works, or at least appears to be accepted, by Thai people. So be it - despite the frustrations it may cause many of us on a daily basis! Similiarly, there is a right way - and wrong way - of going about your business in Liverpool, too. Let's look at a few key principles . . .

Make a promise - delivery expected in full and on time.

Make a mistake, accept full responsibility.

Respect has to be earned on a daily basis.

I could go on but I think you all have the idea. Is this not striking a chord? Are these not the principles you were expected to live by before you came to this country? Are these not the principles we were taught to admire and aspire towards?

Mr Thaksin is an educated man of the world and I trust he will do his country proud (should the deal go through. . . ?) but with the foregoing in mind perhaps this could be a good time for those of us living here to take stock of our own situation?

We often have to bend over backwards in trying to accommodate standards and attitudes that would not be tolerated in our own countries. I have learned over the years that in order to retain a modicum of sanity while being here very often requires compromising principles and / or suspending many of the things we were taught to believe in. That is a high price and I often wonder if it really is worth it. I know the weather is good and our money goes a lot further but maybe we should take more pride in what and who we are - not what this sometimes crazed and (to our way of thinking) often screwed up place expects us to be.

Should the Liverpool deal go through, I welcome the bridge of mutual understanding and respect that the Premier will no doubt build between our cultures

thank you for posting that bluecat, that makes fascinating reading, especially

We often have to bend over backwards in trying to accommodate standards and attitudes that would not be tolerated in our own countries. I have learned over the years that in order to retain a modicum of sanity while being here very often requires compromising principles and / or suspending many of the things we were taught to believe in. That is a high price and I often wonder if it really is worth it. I know the weather is good and our money goes a lot further but maybe we should take more pride in what and who we are - not what this sometimes crazed and (to our way of thinking) often screwed up place expects us to be

Everton closer to hijacking Liverpool's Thai deal

LIVERPOOL: -- Everton are ready to speak with Thailand PM Thaksin Shinawatra about investing in the club.

Thaksin confirmed yesterday that he would switch attentions if talks with Liverpool floundered - and Everton are ready to fill the breach.

A Thai delegation arrived on Merseyside on Sunday night and met Liverpool officials yesterday.

A source close to Thaksin told the Liverpool Echo: "Clubs have come to us with bids. Some clubs have come to us with a full package of proposals."

Thaksin's spokesman, Jakrapob Penkair, added: "The prime minister is aiming for Liverpool but he has high regard for all Premiership teams. He wouldn't mind any Premiership team at all. Ultimately, I have to say that any team will be fine."

--tribalfootball.com - 2004-05-25

Thaksin says will drop Liverpool bid unless key details resolved

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said Tuesday that Thailand will drop its offer to buy a 30 percent stake in Liverpool if his negotiating team currently in Britain fails to win agreement on key details.

"As of now we cannot say that we have agreed to buy Liverpool. If all the details are not agreed then we will not make the purchase," he told reporters.

Thaksin said Thailand had reached a general agreement with Liverpool's directors but that problems emerged when lawyers and financial experts examined the club's balance sheet.

"There is no problem in terms of the board, but rather in the details -- particularly when legal and financial advisors conducted a professional examination," he told reporters, without elaborating.

Thaksin said he was waiting for his negotiators to return to Bangkok on Wednesday after several days of meetings with Liverpool executives.

"There is nothing left to discuss in terms of principle, but on these few details we have to wait for the process to be completed," he said, promising to hold a press conference when a decision was made.

Thaksin said last week that he hoped Thailand's 100-million-dollar bid to buy into Liverpool would go through this week despite the remaining differences which need to be resolved.

Among the sticking points is disagreement over the number of seats Thailand would have on the club's board.

Thaksin has announced a government plan to hold a giant public lottery to raise funds for the purchase.

But the deal has drawn criticism from Thai political commentators who say it is inappropriate and that the government is exploiting Thais' enthusiasm for gambling by launching the lottery.

It has been a turbulent time for Liverpool, which announced Monday that manager Gerard Houllier was leaving the English Premiership club after six years in charge.

The news brings to an end weeks of speculation that the Frenchman's time at Anfield was drawing to a close.

Thaksin became the sole bidder for Liverpool after the board blocked a rival offer from millionaire fan Steve Morgan, who is a fierce critic of Houllier.

--AFP 2004-05-25

Academics warn govt of illegality

`Profit-driven action' flies in face of charter

BANGKOK: -- The government has defied the constitution by spearheading efforts to establish a company and issue a mega lottery to mobilise public funds to buy a 30% stake in Liverpool Football Club, Thammasat University law academics say.

In an open letter, the academics led by law faculty dean Surapol Nitikraipoj, said the constitution does not permit the government to run any enterprise for profit and its bid for a stake in the English football club was in essence profit-driven.

The academics warned the government may be breaking the law by cutting corners to achieve its ends through ``questionable means''.

The letter said the constitutional leeway which allowed government to conduct business was meant to serve national security, preserve public interest, and allocate public utilities. Acquiring a stake in Liverpool Club did not satisfy any of these conditions.

Yet the government was going to great lengths playing host to fund-raising activities to buy club shares, which was illegal. The case in point is its plan to issue a special lottery draw with a grand prize of one billion baht. Each lottery ticket will be converted into shares amounting to 40% of a holding company's value.

The firm would be set up with the lottery funds to invest in Liverpool shares and it would be listed on the Stock Exchange of Thailand.

The academics insisted the Liverpool lottery was not the kind of government undertaking the law permitted. The lottery was profit-oriented and not intended to benefit charities or public well-being.

The cabinet has appointed the Sports and Tourism Ministry to oversee the mobilisation of public funds to buy the Liverpool stake.

The academics dismissed as an excuse the government's claim that buying into the club would promote football skills among Thai youth.

The letter charged the government was twisting the principle in order to justify its own action.

The chorus of public disapproval has grown, as many began asking why Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra did not fork out his own money to secure the shares, which appeared to be his personal endeavour from the start.

The law lecturers said while they agreed with engaging people in sports, the cash the government tried to raise through lottery would be better spent building stadiums or sports colleges.

While demanding the lottery be cancelled, the academics warned that if the government went ahead it must bear the full extent of political and legal responsibility.

Prime Minister Thaksin yesterday said the deal had not been finalised and negotiations with Liverpool would take another five or six weeks.

--The Post 2004-05-26

Thailand secures seats on Liverpool board

BANGKOK: -- Thailand has secured two seats on Liverpool's board as part of its bid for a 30 percent stake in the premier league soccer club, the country's chief negotiator says.

On his return from talks in Liverpool, Deputy Commerce Minister Pongsak Raktapongpisal said Thailand was conducting 'due diligence' financial scrutiny of the club, and a deal would be signed within four to eight weeks if no problems arose.

He also said the two sides had resolved the thorny issue of how much control the Thai company managing the 4.6 million baht (62 million pounds) investment would have over the 112-year-old club.

"I think the company will send two representatives to take the seats there," Pongsak told reporters at Bangkok airport.

"Two seats at least."

The club's website lists 12 people on its board, including chairman David Moores, chief executive Rick Parry, and the team manager, a post held until earlier this week by Frenchman Gerard Houllier.

Pongsak said Thailand's prime minister, Thaksin Shinawatra, for whom the Liverpool bid has provided a boost to political fortunes, would not be taking up either of the places.

The four times champions of Europe is 51 percent owned by Moores, whose family has had control for half a century, and 9.9 percent owned by television company Granada.

According to Thaksin, the deal will dilute Moores' holding to 35 percent.

Thaksin has said his offer, probably to be funded by a controversial one-off national lottery, would inject $81 million into Liverpool, which needs cash to buy new players and pay for a bigger stadium.

Ponsgsak said Thailand would certainly not seek to influence Liverpool's decision in picking a new manager following Houllier's sacking on Monday.

"That is an internal matter for the Liverpool club. We wouldn't intervene," he said.

Although the bid appears to have gone down well with the soccer-mad Thai public, the planned use of public or lottery money rather than Thaksin's vast personal fortune, has raised eyebrows and led to accusations of abuse of power.

A group of leading academics on Wednesday said the bid violated an article of the constitution which forbids the state from competing with the private sector unless in the interests of national security or to set up public utilities.

"To cite sport development is just a pretext to justify what is in fact a distortion in the exercise of state power," they said in a letter quoted on the front page of the Nation newspaper.

--Reuters 2004-05-26

FOOTBALL CLUB BID: 'Thais fooled by Liverpool propaganda'

Thaksin accused of conning public on merits of controversial investment

BANGKOK: -- Academics and social critics yesterday accused Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra of deceiving the public over the worthiness of the Liverpool bid, as opposition to the controversial scheme reached new heights.

Leading social critics, including Prawase Wasi and senators Thongbai Thongpao and Sopon Supapong, joined Thammasat and Chulalongkorn legal experts in denouncing the Bt4.6-billion bid, now near completion after the Liverpool Football Club yielded to the Thai demand for two board seats.

The opponents, who include some members of the independent National Economic and Social Advisory Council (Nesac), are enraged by the government's decision to finance the Liverpool deal through a special one-off lotto.

The lottery's top prize of Bt1 billion has generated much excitement, although the government has never informed the public about Liverpool's financial standing and its business potential.

Signature campaigns have been launched by some Nesac members and Thammasat University academics, who described the Liverpool scheme as unconstitutional and immoral.

Thammasat law lecturers insisted on Monday that the investment plan violated Article 87 of the charter, which allows the government to invest in businesses only to protect national interests and provide key utility services.

Yesterday, the university's economics teachers attacked the scheme over what they deem its poor profit outlook.

An open letter signed by 30 Thammasat economics lecturers said Thaksin was getting badly confused over whether he was a national leader or businessman. It said he was luring the public into the scheme through propaganda.

They said the government, while drumming up its lottery hype, had displayed serious administrative and moral shortcomings by failing to tell the public that Liverpool - though highly popular - was a club at a crossroads.

The club has sacked its coach, is trying to sign a new, expensive deal with star player Michael Owen, and much of its financial future will depend on how well the team does in next season's Champions League competition. It is also planning to build a new stadium and recruit several world-class players.

"I have no idea why Thailand should risk Bt4.6 billion in a club that saw a 61-per-cent decline in net profit last year and shareholders did not get dividends," said Thammasat lecturer Vimut Vanitcharearnthum, himself a Liverpool supporter. "It's much more worthy to invest in the prime minister's [family] business empire."

Thaksin had initially said he and some business associates would buy Liverpool with their own money. Then he said the government would finance the bid, triggering widespread criticism that forced him to take the compromise option of lottery fund-rasing.

Now he is being accused of refusing to make a personal investment because he knows the business prospects of the deal are not that good.

"In a country where a lot of people still lack basic necessities, the government must think again and again before deciding where to put Bt4.6 billion, which can do so many more useful things," said Pokpong Junvith, another Thammasat lecturer.

"To say that this is something other governments dare not do is not quite correct. The truth is it's something other governments won't waste their time on because it's simply ridiculous. This kind of self-promotion will have an adverse effect because the thinking and mentality of the Thai leaders will be on show globally."

Nantawat Boramanand, a public-law veteran at Chulalongkorn University, said Thaksin and his government were getting confused about their roles.

"Government is for looking after its citizens, not for doing business,'' he said. "Our people are in trouble and need a lot of help, but our government wants to raise public funds to buy a foreign football club."

Chulalongkorn legal experts will release an editorial on Monday via its website, stating their opposition to the bid. The views of their Thammsat counterparts will also be published on the website.

Social critic Prawase said Thaksin was crossing the line that divides state power and the pursuit of personal agendas.

Senators Thongbai and Sopon plan to support the Nesac signature campaign, whose key members have accused Thaksin of abuse of power.

Sucheera Pinijparakarn,

Sathien wiriyapanpongsa

The Nation

-------------------------

PM: We should thank Boonklee

Behind every business deal of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, there is Boonklee Plangsiri, chief executive of Shin Corp. Boonklee has even cast his big shadow over the Liverpool deal, although Thaksin called his involvement a sacrifice Thais should thank him for.

Thaksin grew annoyed yesterday when asked by reporters why Boonklee, without any political or government position, had anything to do with the Liverpool deal. It is no secret that Boonklee flew to London to negotiate the terms of the acquisition of a 30-per-cent stake in Liverpool Football Club. Boonklee is recognised as one of Thailand's foremost deal-makers.

Thaksin defended Boonklee's role, saying he was using his expertise to help the country.

"Khun Boonklee is very knowledgeable in his field. We need to use those who are capable. This is a way to protect our interest [in the Liverpool deal], not seeking personal interests. Khun Boonklee travelled abroad and paid from his own pocket to help out the country. We should thank him rather than condemn him. Do you get it?" he said.

"As for the concern of several people that it might be a conflict of interest, I want to ask where the conflict is? The conflict could only hurt the toes of the Democrats."

--The Nation 2004-05-27

Hmm interesting reading :o

Probably the most interesting thing is that toxin is not prepared to invest his cash but everyone elses.

As for the news on interest in Everton that is just to put the needle in Liverpool as it's their main opponent in Merseyside

I say again this is just a publicity stunt in light of current embarrassments. :D

FURORE OVER LIVERPOOL DEAL:

‘Let Thaksin walk alone’

Club facing a flood of Thai complaints; while PM 'ordered adviser to prepare a way out' if opposition grows further

BANGKOK:-- The Liverpool Football Club will face a flood of passionate pleas from Thais opposed to Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's plan to sell a lottery to fund what is alleged to be his personal aspiration to own the popular English Premier League team.

University academics and members of the National Economic and Social Advisory Council are launching separate signature campaigns against the Bt4.6-billion bid.

Resistance to the bid received a big boost yesterday when the Campaign for Popular Democracy vowed to coordinate major political action groups that would seek nationwide signatures to be submitted to the LFC board.

Growing public protests against what legal academics and leading social critics have dubbed a blatantly unconstitutional scheme by Thaksin are so strong that there is speculation the prime minister is contemplating backing out of the bid for a 30-per-cent stake in the club.

It was reported yesterday that he had instructed his chief adviser Pansak Winyaratn to review the pros and cons of the entire plan and "propose a way out" if the share purchase did more harm than good.

Ramkhamhaeng University students and the Students Federation of Thailand will play a major role in collecting signatures. Some Thais have already sent e-mails to the club's official website, liverpoolfc.tv, to voice their opposition to Thaksin's plan.

The prime minister is being accused of using lottery hype - the highlight of which is a Bt1 billion top prize - to lure fortune-seeking Thais into funding what could be at best an uncertain investment.

That he had promised to spend his own money to buy the club, only to change his mind later, has fuelled speculation that Thaksin must know the club's business prospects are not that promising.

The fact that the government has never informed the public about Liverpool's financial situation has prompted charges that it is deceiving people in order to make sure the special one-off lotto will be sold out.

Liverpool's financial prospects have been complicated by its sacking of coach Gerard Houllier, stalled contract-extension talks with top star Michael Owen, an unfinished plan for a new stadium, and aspirations to sign more big-name players during this off-season.

Moreover, the club will suffer a major financial setback if it fails in next season's lucrative Champions League.

On Wednesday, Thaksin announced that the Thai bid had been accepted and that if the Thai side was satisfied with the results of its scrutiny of the club's financial reports, a deal could be signed by July.

Liverpool has been tight-lipped over the ongoing bid saga, which is plagued by constitutional, legal, financial and political landmines. How the club, whose proud value is its strong belief in the power of unity, as underlined in the world-renowned fan anthem "You'll Never Walk Alone", will react to the concerted Thai protests remains to be seen.

"We want to appeal directly to Liverpool," said Suriyasai Katasila, secretary-general of the Campaign for Popular Democracy. "We don't want them to misunderstand. Thai people don't want the club. It's just an agenda of a few businessmen."

The behind-the-scenes role in the Liverpool talks of Boonklee Plangsiri, chief executive of the Thaksin family business empire, has fuelled further criticism against the prime minister. Thaksin reacted angrily to suggestions that Boonklee's involvement made the whole scheme much murkier, saying Thais should instead thank Shin Corp's top man for making a "sacrifice" for the country.

Opposition leader Banyat Bantadtan said Boonklee's involvement had magnified public suspicion over the plan, and that the best way out for Thaksin was to invest in LFC with his own money.

Banyat echoed the calls of academics, social critics and newspaper columnists, who have warned that if Thaksin was "allowed to cross the line'' by ignoring constitutional, legal and moral principles, it would be a major setback to Thailand's democracy.

--The Nation 2004-05-28

Liverpool buy won't drain reserves: PM

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has sought to ease concerns of a possible liquidity squeeze if his bid for a major stake in Liverpool Football Club is successful.

"Capital outflows from the Liverpool purchase would amount only to about Bt4 billion while we have foreign reserves of around Bt2 trillion," Thaksin said yesterday.

He also said it is unnecessary to amend any law to facilitate the purchase.

As of May 14, the Bank of Thailand's foreign reserves stood at US$42.1 billion (Bt1.7 trillion) while its net forward position in foreign exchange markets was at $6.2 billion.

Thailand has offered to buy a 30-per-cent stake in the English Premier League club for $115 million.

Banking authorities will have to consider the capital outflow impact from the Liverpool deal. Any overseas transaction above $10 million has to be approved by the banking authorities.

The central bank earlier said officials are studying past cases of foreign direct investment by Thai companies so that it can judge whether to approve the transaction.

Social critics and academics have questioned the economic benefits of the deal and charge that the government's plan to raise Bt10 billion from the public through a lottery is unconstitutional.

--THE NATION, DOW JONES NEWSWIRES 2004-05-28

PM: 'Don't assume I'm crazy'

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra yesterday lashed out at the growing army of opponents of his Liverpool bid, dismissing them as "people with negative imaginations", and defended his controversial plan to fund the purchase with a lottery, saying Thais needed to be "tempted".

More academics, meanwhile, joined the campaign against the lottery plan in what is evolving into one of the biggest public uproars since Thaksin swept into office in 2001.

But amid numerous angry seminars, panel discussions, e-mails, newspaper columns and signature campaigns, the premier remained absolutely defiant.

"Don't assume that I'm crazy," said Thaksin, referring to criticism that no Third World leader in his right mind would try to raise Bt4.6 billion from his citizens to buy a stake in a foreign football club.

"People with negative imaginations are more likely to get into the news while those with positive imaginations rarely make the news," he said.

"You only have to trust me, because I have been working [as prime minister] for more than three years and our country has improved a lot," he added.

A source said that Thaksin discussed the strong public reaction to the lottery plan with deputy prime ministers yesterday. The prime minister reportedly told them: "Nowadays Thai people still need to be stimulated and tempted. In the future, if the government lottery can't sell tickets I will be a happy man. But as of now society still needs some stimulants."

Thaksin told reporters constitutional or legal problems plaguing the stalled Liverpool deal would eventually be sorted out. He did not elaborate.

"The government will do it the right way," he said, and quipped, "When we first said it was going to be a private investment, people yelled 'conflict of interest'. So what are we supposed to do now? Flip a coin?"

Critics now say they would not object if Thaksin used his own money to buy a 30-per-cent stake in the club. But they warn the lottery plan or using state funds could be unconstitutional and lead to his impeachment.

The Liverpool Football Club is bracing for a flood of passionate pleas from Thais opposed to Thaksin's plan to use a lottery to fund what is alleged to be his personal aspiration to own the popular English Premier League team.

Academics, political activists, student groups, and members of the National Economic and Social Advisory Council have launched a nation-wide signature campaign against the Bt4.6-billion bid.

Opposition from the academics will intensify next week. Thammasat University plans to hold another seminar on Monday with financial experts expected to seriously question the soundness of the investment. The university's law and economics lecturers have already accused Thaksin of using the lure of the special lotto and Liverpool's popularity to deceive Thais about the economic prospects of the bid.

Chulalongkorn University will hold a similar discussion on Tuesday and Rangsit University will hold one on Wednesday.

Staff from several research institutes have launched an e-mail campaign opposing the football lottery, saying the government should not exploit Thais' susceptibility to gambling and create a "state of delusion".

Dr Vicharn Panich, a veteran research administrator and director of the Knowledge Management Institute, was the first of 56 people to endorse the circulating e-mail, received yesterday evening by The Nation.

--The Nation 2004-05-29

The patience of the Thais is absolutely amazing, if not entirely curious. Let's see,

extrajudicial killings, state visits from Burmese despots, 2 years of escalating violence and failed social policy in the south, blundered privatization attempts, serious unanswered allegations of corruption within his administration crowned by incredible arrogance and flippancy toward his public responsibilities and the opinions of his king and countrymen.

And they organize a signature drive when calls for resignation would be justified in light of this latest loony scheme to rip off the public.

How the man can have a shred of credibility left is beyond me. It seems as long as there's easy money, they'll put up with anything. When is enough enough?