Thailand Wins Key Liverpool Stake

george

somehow i have a feeling there won't be any winner on the lottery, lottery have been corrupt and set-up before.

this got to be the most hilarious government i ever seen since the day i came to Thalaind.

(shaking head)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think football sucks,I see this as one way to make closer ties to one of the truly great nations of the world.Which will benefit the youth of thailand,by Englands example alone.If toxin wants more money he can raise the cost of communitcation.You winy english people are funny!!!!!!But boring.Why dont you all get off you <deleted> and help start a football clinics for the youth of thailand?Please put your great british football skills to work in the only place it can do good.Help a chlid there are some who can benefit.What heve you done for thailand youth today? DOGGIE

LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB SHARES

Special lottery to finance purchase of 30% stake

Record billion-baht first-prize planned

The ministry wanted to raise 10 billion baht from ticket sales, one billion baht to be set aside for management costs, four billion baht for lottery prizes and the remaining five billion baht for the purchase of the Liverpool shares.

The tickets will cost 500-1,000 baht each, with a one-billion-baht first-prize. The second-prize will be 500 million baht. There will be 15 third-prize winners, each of 100 million baht, along with smaller prizes of 10, five and one million baht and others over 100,000 baht.

Ticket buyers will also receive Liverpool stock certificates _ shares worth 200 baht for a 1,000-baht lottery ticket and 100 baht for a 500-baht ticket.

The source said the state would own 60% of the Liverpool shares and distribute the remaining 40% to buyers.

A Liverpool share would cost around 5,000 (about 360,000 baht) and the total investment would be about 60 million (4.3 billion baht), Mr Thaksin said. The source, however, said the board unofficially said last Friday that it agreed, and the deal could be signed this Friday.

As I said in an earlier posting - only the rich will be able to afford the tickets, and my calculations of ticket prices last week seriously underestimated the final prices. I also underestimated the value of the prizes..... With prizes at that value, the bars will have no shortage of female staff ordered to make the lottery ticket money by husbands, fathers, boyfriends, and brothers. Drug touting will become rampant again as people desperately try to make enough to buy the tickets, and you'll probably see lots of "second" cars with for sale signs on them.

And ONE BILLION BAHT in admin and management costs for ONE lottery ??????

<deleted> ????? Who's best friends/relatives/company are going to get that job (and split their inflated salary with the person who gave them the job) ??????

AHOOGA AHOOGA AHOOGA - CORRUPTION WARNING PEOPLE !!!!!!

With a first prize of 1B baht who wants to make odds that the winning ticket will be held by a first cousin of the Shinawatra family gardner or maid. Now wouldnt that make a great 419 scam....

Hello, I am a poor Hmong tribeswoman, the daughter of the late gardner for the Shinawatra family. My father received a lottery winnings of 1B baht to hold for the dictator of Thailand. Unfortunately, he was mistaken for a drug pushing muslim at a nightclub in Bangkok after official closing hours and executed by mistake before he could transfer the money back to the Thai Rak Thai party. I need the help of a nice foreigner handsome man such as yourself to move this money safely out of Thailand. I only need enough for my sick buffalo...etc etc

Never a dull moment.

I have supported this man despite his megelamania, corruption, avarice and lies etc.. as he has still been good for thailand in many ways, partuclarly for the economy.

But I fear even he is going too far with this.

I am married to a lovely thai lady and we have a lovely child. We have, or should I say I have been keen to bring up our family in Thailand rather than the UK as I consider that our children (we expect to have more) were more likely to have a better life in Thailand especially regarding happiness and especially for a better 'family' way of life. I have thought that, providing one is comfortable enough to afford decent international schools and good private medecine, then Thailand had so many advantages over the UK.

We have been seriously reviewing this recently.

It may sound strange but this recent crazy proposed purchase of a stake in Liverpool really makes me much more concerned about where Thailand is going.

Perhaps it is the straw that breaks the camels back.

This leader has become an absolute disgrace. What a diabolical example. His megalamania, corruption and stupidity is becoming such a terrible example for the people. We all know the old saying that power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely- but it is so true.

I think he has probably become clinically insane.

If he buys the stake with all of his own money and/or that of his cronies then that would be ok but even if he did that he would no doubt manipulate politics, or things to do with money to line his or his cronies pockets etc..

It seems that every decision this man does is connected to self interest in one way or another.

I HOPE HE WILL READ THIS AND MAYBE ASK HIMSELF ' AM I CAPABLE OF DOPING SOME THINGS FOR MY COUNTRY AND MY FELLOW PEOPLE WITHOUT THERE HAVING TO BE SOMETHING IN IT FOR ME??'

The probable answer is no.

The general situation is becoming very sad indeed.

So has anyone determined whether Farang will be allowed to purchase tickets? Also, is a winnder guaranteed in the lottery? I mean, will they keep pulling numbers daily until someone claims the prize? After all, this is a special issue lottery, so either the money should be guaranteed to be paid out or the unpaid prizes get applied (in equal parts) to each share held by the lottery participants. Wait, that might not be a good idea... then the government can just claim zero winners and say each certificate is worht 103B instead of 100B.

Speaking of certificates, is anyone going to buy tickets? If so, I'll buy your certificate from you. It will help to lower the price on the ticket. heh heh

Now that Thailand is about to become a shareholder in Liverpool FC, will it now be possible for Thai people to go and see their heroes? Or will they still be refused visas?

Probably wrong place for this question but not familiar with site yet :

Is it true that if a Thai books a package tour abroad, the tour company will be able to arrange the visa for him/her?

I think this absolutely GREAT...I am not a soccer fan..never been to Liverpool and don't intend to go....I am only thankful that he isn't contaminating real FOOTBALL...which of course is played in the US. :o

It ain,t over till the fat lady sings. Watching BBC news tonight and Dear Leader has really managed to catapult Thailand into the spotlight....unfortunately for him the focus was on the human rights abuse issues in Thailand. There will be a lot more of this, theres a lot of unhappy liverpool fans, a target for Amnesty to aim at, and a British press with an eye on Dear Leader. Love 'em or hate 'em, some very good investigative journalists are going to be digging deep. For those who will only be too happy to see the end of Thaksin this might prove to be a defining moment.

Senators threaten PM with debate - Thaksin could be impeached

BANGKOK: -- A group of senators yesterday threatened to hold a no-confidence debate against the government if Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra goes ahead with his controversial plan to buy a stake in Liverpool Football Club.

In an open letter to Thaksin, the senators urged him to scrap the plan and to spend the money on more important public causes.

The senators included Klaew Narapati, Karun Sai-ngarm, Marirat Kaewka, Buason Poonlarp, Pinya Chuayplod and Wallop Tangkhananurak.

Klaew said the senators would sponsor a motion to open a debate against the prime minister if he goes ahead with plans to buy into the English Premier League club.

The senators can open a censure debate against the government but they cannot vote to oust the administration.

Klaew said the government's Liverpool-bound funds could be used to benefit several public projects, including plans to reform the country's irrigation systems and an initiative to tackle poverty.

Wallop accused Thakin of masterminding the Liverpool deal to divert public attention from the no-confidence debate scheduled for today.

Bangkok Senator Chirmsak Pinthong said the prime minister could be impeached if he orders a government agency to buy a stake in the four-time European champions.

--The Nation 2004-05-19

LIVERPOOL PURCHASE PROPOSAL: Ministry to hold 60% in venture

Cabinet approves plan, which would see remaining 40% sold to public via lottery

BANGKOK: -- The Finance Ministry will hold 60 per cent in a state enterprise set up to buy shares of Liverpool Football Club if the deal with the English club goes through, the finance permanent secretary said yesterday.

Somchainuk Engtrakul said the ministry might represent the government in the new state enterprise, while the remaining 40 per cent is sold to the public through a special lottery.

The Cabinet yesterday approved Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's Bt4.6-billion bid to buy a 30-per-cent stake in the English Premier League club. It also approved his financing plan.

Somchainuk said the government would assign the Government Lottery Office (GLO), the Government Savings Bank (GSB) and the Sports Authority of Thailand (SAT) to issue Bt10 billion worth of lottery tickets.

He said 10 million tickets would be worth Bt1,000 each. The first prize in the lottery would be worth Bt1 billion and the other prizes would have a combined value of Bt3 billion. Ticket-holders will be automatically entitled to a Bt200 share of the club if they fail to win other prizes.

Somchainuk said the lottery would take about three months to prepare. He said the government would then set up a state enterprise with a registered capital of Bt5 billion. The government will invest Bt3 billion and the public would invest the rest.

The government will invite private investors to buy leftover lottery tickets it cannot sell, Somchainuk said.

Jakrapob Penkair, the government spokesman, said the new state enterprise could buy a stake in another English Premier League club if the deal with Liverpool falls through.

"Liverpool is just one of four teams we are approaching," he said.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said the lottery would not be issued until it becomes clear which club takes the Thai offer.

"We have to make it clear to the public so people can make informed investment decisions," he said.

The GSB and Krung Thai Bank, a state-owned commercial bank, will facilitate the lottery sale.

The government does not have to seek approval from the Parliament, said Somchainuk, but it was not yet known if it had to get a central bank nod before investing abroad.

Sommai Phasee, deputy permanent secretary for finance, said the government could invest abroad in the same way as Thai Airways International buys aeroplanes.

---------------------------

'Bt1-billion lotto' plan

The Cabinet yesterday resolved to hold a special lottery draw to raise funds for a stake in an English Premier League football club. The lottery will be officially called the "Special Football Lottery to Send Thai Youths to the World Cup'', and has a suggested top prize of Bt1 billion. The following is the planned implementation process.

1 Sports Authority of Thailand (SAT) and Finance Ministry propose fund-raising plan.

2 Cabinet approves plan.

3 SAT coordinates with relevant agencies.

4 Government Lottery Office and Government Savings Bank come together to organise the lottery.

5 Distribution of lottery tickets through banks and sports associations.

6 Draw.

7 Public company set up.

8 Holders of lottery tickets registered as company shareholders.

9 New company starts business.

--The Nation 2004-05-19

I see that Emile Heskey is joining Birmingham City.

Any more jumping ship?

Michael Owen's agent is still discussing terms.

Is Gerard Houllier fit enough to continue as manager, or should he gracefully retire.

Let Toxin buy into a shambles.

:D Well Im from liverpool, and could be loads of free drinks all round when Thais here of this. Maybe a free Visa too when The laassy from the Chaing Mai Immigration knows this. But mostly its crazy only Mr Taksin could pull this off.

Maybe he will buy up Play Boy next :D

Yes, whatever next Mr. Thaksin? Perhaps...

Thaimee :o

Thais postpone Liverpool trip after late snags

BANGKOK: -- Last-minute snags are holding back Thailand's unusual bid to buy a 30 percent stake in the Liverpool soccer club, the prime minister said Wednesday.

"There are three or four points to resolve ... for example, how many seats we have on the board of directors," Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra told reporters.

Thaksin declined to elaborate further, but said Thai negotiators and representatives for the English Premier League team were exchanging drafts of a memorandum of understanding by fax.

A Thai delegation that had planned to fly to Liverpool late Tuesday to finalize the deal postponed the trip indefinitely until lawyers from both sides can sort out differences, Deputy Commerce Minister Pongsak Raktapongpaisarn said.

Pongsak is representing Thaksin, a billionaire tycoon-turned-politician who initially was going to buy the Liverpool shares in a private deal for about US$115 million before turning it into a planned public purchase through a one-time government lottery.

The Nation newspaper said Wednesday that Liverpool's board appeared reluctant to give Thailand more than one seat on its board and total control of commercial rights in Asia. Thaksin, who made his fortunes in telecommunications before entering politics, is reportedly demanding two seats and full commercial rights.

Critics have lambasted Thaksin for the Liverpool bid, saying it will neither bring economic benefits to the country nor promote soccer in Thailand even though an academy would be set up under the terms of the deal.

Also, critics have questioned the idea of having Thailand's people -- known for their love for lotteries -- provide funds for what originally had been the prime minister's personal ambition to own a team.

Pongsak said the deal was still on, but that there seemed to be no point in going to Liverpool to "just sit and wait" for lawyers to sort out remaining differences.

Thaksin announced earlier this week that Liverpool, one of Britain's top teams, had agreed "in principle" to accept the Thai offer after rejecting a rival bid by English property tycoon Steve Morgan. However, a Liverpool spokeswoman refused to confirm Thaksin's claim, saying the team had nothing to say at this time.

On Tuesday, the Thai Cabinet approved a plan to raise 10 billion baht (US$250 million) through a government lottery to fund the purchase by a company controlled by the state-run Sports Authority of Thailand.

About half of the funds would be used to buy the shares and the rest to finance lottery prizes and the company's management costs.

Thaksin said the state lottery would be launched next month, but that the tickets would not be printed with the Liverpool name and logo in case the deal goes sour.

"We will not put the Liverpool name on the tickets because we want Thai buyers to be happy if we opt to invest in another team," Thaksin said, without elaborating.

The Nation reported that the government investment in Liverpool would have to be approved by Thailand's central bank, the Bank of Thailand, and that its governor may be reluctant to give the green light because of the political ramifications.

By law, any investment of more than 10 percent in a foreign company is considered direct investment and needs the central bank's approval.

--AP 2004-05-19

Thais postpone Liverpool trip after late snags

BANGKOK: -- Last-minute snags are holding back Thailand's unusual bid to buy a 30 percent stake in the Liverpool soccer club, the prime minister said Wednesday.

"There are three or four points to resolve ... for example, how many seats we have on the board of directors," Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra told reporters.

--AP 2004-05-19

Here we go, here we go, here we go, same old song...!!! :o

Thaimee. :D

somehow i have a feeling there won't be any winner on the lottery, lottery have been corrupt and set-up before.

this got to be the most hilarious government i ever seen since the day i came to Thalaind.

(shaking head)

The winner will be a poor young girl who was denied entry to Chula Uni., just because her grades weren't good enough.

Thailand deal may take six weeks to be accepted

LIVERPOOL: -- THAI Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra last night revealed he may not have a 30% stake in Liverpool until the end of June. As Thailand's sports minister cancelled a scheduled flight to England, where he was due to finalise details of the £65million offer, Shinawatra admitted it could take six weeks for his controversial investment to be accepted.

A major stumbling block in the deal is the Liverpool board's reluctance to relinquish the club's commercial rights in Asia, as reported in yesterday's Daily Post.

Shinawatra is determined to gain control of this lucrative outlet for his £65m investment and has threatened to look elsewhere if an agreement cannot be reached.

Last night he said: "I am 60% confident we will complete this deal. We have already reached agreement in principle but by the end of June we will own a stake in a Premier League club."

The Thai deal is being funded by a combination of public and private money.

Shinawatra's government are to create a company to handle their proposed £65m investment, of which between 51-60% will be controlled by the sports ministry with the remainder funded by a consortium.

The sports ministry are to raise their money through a national lottery and the Thais will seek two or maybe three seats on the Anfield board if the deal is accepted.

Government official Santiparb Tejavanija was due to meet with Liverpool officials today to finalise their bid, the only one now on the table after Steve Morgan's £75m share rights issue was rejected.

But that meeting will not take place after Tejavanija admitted the two parties are not close to an agreement.

Tejavanija said: "I had hoped to fly to Liverpool to sign this deal within days but my trip has been postponed because several issues have to be resolved first."

--ic.liverpool.com 2004-05-19

Shinawatra admitted it could take six weeks for his controversial investment to be accepted.

Shinawatra is determined to gain control of this lucrative outlet for his £65m investment and has threatened to look elsewhere if an agreement cannot be reached.

HIS investment

this bloke is all over the place like a mad woman shitting...

wonder if his lottery will be as successful as the elite card?

This gets better as time goes on. Some fat lady is singing her tune to the high note, so get some ear muffs, cause your gonna need it. :o Also I wonder why kicking a ball all over the place is called "football" instead of Soccer. Somebody definitely has their English or game backwards and upside down!!!!!

Hmmmmmm out of 60 percent stake, Thasky get 30 percent. As of seats on the board, the argument is who gets the hard seat or the soft seat fore or aft :D

Thai Government owning a team????? If that is the case then this sale has to be approved by the English parliament since it will be dealing with the Thai parliament I would think.

It will be interesting to see who wins the parliamentary votes!!!!!!!!!!

Lottery tickets to pay for this financial purchase. Never knew Thai folks had any Baht worth enough extra to spend as poor their earnings are now. Interesting on who gets to win the 1B B prize.

Never knew the English toddies would do this to themselves. Maybe too much vinnegar in their drinks that is making them serene and woozy to swoon to Thai magic.

An opportunist like the PM can see it coming from the intelligence division especially when told the Brits now watch cartoons of Bugs Bunny upside down :D

As I say the British are cuming- need 007 to stop the leak :D

No Donald Trump here to stump for sure. The guy is too smart to play up to a team with poor potential such as that board of whos who!!!!!!!!!!! in whatchamacallit in England?????

Perhaps to help finance the Elite card under the table. It is possible needless to say or a drop of the super elite cards by mistake on English silver platters caught their attention. :D

Also I wonder why kicking a ball all over the place is called "football" instead of Soccer. Somebody definitely has their English or game backwards and upside down!!!!!

I think the English has gotten "football" completely right after all!

By definition,real football should be played with the feet and no hands! :o

Handball is another sport altogether!

Americans have gotten the two games mixed up and now it's both "backwards" and "downside up" for them! :D

Question:"Why can't Americans play real football with any "sucks-cess" like the rest of the civilized World"?? :D

Answer:"Americans can only play games where they're allowed to use their hands"! :D

Soccer is a pronounceable acronym which is derived from the altered words,"as(SOC)iation football";so,American soccer haters should not try to rationalize a concept and imply that the word soccer actually comes from "sucker"!

"Soccer players" grasp their football mentally during the game while "American football players" grasp their football physically!(pun :D)

Cheers.

Snowleopard.

Thais press for bigger say at Liverpool

BANGKOK: -- Thailand is pressing for a bigger say in the running of premier league club Liverpool, including more seats on the board, Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his chief negotiator say.

The level of Thai influence in the club's affairs has become a sticking point in negotiations over Thaksin's 4.6 billion baht (63 million pound) bid for a 30 percent stake in Liverpool.

Thai newspapers have reported that the two sides are haggling over seats on the board, with the Thais demanding two seats and Liverpool offering one.

The club are 51 percent owned by chairman David Moores, whose family has had control for half a century, and 9.9 percent owned by television company Granada.

Thaksin told reporters the Moores holding would be diluted to 35 percent if the deal went through.

"The Thais would have 30 percent and therefore our ratio of directors on the board should be high," he said.

"If we agree with what they have proposed, the deal could be done quickly. But we don't because we want them to follow us."

Deputy Commerce Minister Pongsak Raktapongpisal, the chief Thai negotiator, said the two major shareholders "should have equality on the board and management".

TIME TO THINK

"I have sympathy for the majority shareholder who has held 51 percent for over 50 years. So when they are asked to lessen their power, we should give them some time to think," Pongsak told a Bangkok radio station.

Pongsak denied media reports that the two sides were at loggerheads over Liverpool's merchandising rights in Asia, saying this would be worked out later.

But he said the Thais did want a say in the business side of the club.

"We don't want to boast that we are experts on professional football, but in trade, financing and marketing, we are second to none," Pongsak said.

Thaksin has said the Thai offer would inject 45 million pounds into the club, which needs investment to buy new players and help fund construction of a bigger stadium.

The rest will go to buy shares from existing shareholders.

Critics say the money will be wasted but Thaksin believes the deal will benefit Thai soccer and the country.

Thailand's cabinet approved a plan on Tuesday to set up a new company to manage the investment, and raise funds to finance the purchase through a one-off state lottery.

--Reuters 2004-05-20

Is this the opportunistic time to get emotional? Scratches his head... :D

When you've dealt with Thai's in business and tasted the sour outcome as is the practice, how can one not feel a boiling of anger or simmering of animosity toward's Thai's making a farce of a situation that need's only simple logic applied.

We all know in the bottom of our herats this deal is going to turn sour, if you've lived here long enough you may or may not agree with my basic prediction?

Thaimee. :o