Glap Pow?

dmerchent

Well, your 'glap pow' does sound like กะเพรา gaphraao or Holy Basil (Ocimum Sanctum), but I have never seen that used in rice soup, and nor does it taste like celery.

The vegetable that tastes similar to celery and is used in rice soup is called ขึ้นฉ่าย 'kheun chaai' (Apium graveolens Linn.) The translation used varies, you will see both 'Chinese parsley', 'Chinese celery' and simply 'celery' - it is part of the Apium family but not identical with 'our' celery.

Is it possible somebody has misunderstood your question?

Very possible my question was misunderstood... lol! I've only been here less than a year...and I am seriously language challenged... though I try my best...If I could get a picture of the plant...greens...before cooked and posted it...do you think you could point me in the right direction?

Yes, by all means, do post a picture. Anyway, if my rice soup experience is worth anything, I am nearly certain it is ขึ้นฉ่าย 'kheun chaai' you have experienced. All standard rice soups have it.

Here is a pic of กะเพรา kaphrao, and underneath one of ขึ้นฉ่าย khuen chaai... familiar?

BasilHolyBasil.jpg

D3735727-21.jpg

Well, your 'glap pow' does sound like กะเพรา gaphraao or Holy Basil (Ocimum Sanctum), but I have never seen that used in rice soup, and nor does it taste like celery.

The vegetable that tastes similar to celery and is used in rice soup is called ขึ้นฉ่าย 'kheun chaai' (Apium graveolens Linn.) The translation used varies, you will see both 'Chinese parsley', 'Chinese celery' and simply 'celery' - it is part of the Apium family but not identical with 'our' celery.

Is it possible somebody has misunderstood your question?

Sounds right because in my experience basil stem is not often used, but chinese parsley stem is :o

Hi Merch !

Sounds like the mystery of your herbs was worked out. But another way to confirm this, with or without lang barriers, is to get yourself out to the local market and have a pinch and a smell at the stacks of herbs sitting out on the tables. It's part of the fun and vibrancy of living here. You'll probably identify a few things you like but weren't sure what to call them.

Good Luck !