Illegal PET in CONDO, what can condo management do against a CONDO OWNER ?

13 hours ago, goegoe said:

Thank you so much !!! I Didn't know that rules have to be registered at land office.

So I just need to go there to get the rules document ? It will be only in Thai ?

Thanks again !

In Thai only. 

Pattaya/Jomtiem land office handed them to me and I was able to make a copy.  No updates since 20 years ago. 

Thai condo ACT which refers to such rules document is mostly not followed though and whoever has the upper hand wins discrepancies.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, goegoe said:

Thank you so much !!! I Didn't know that rules have to be registered at land office.

So I just need to go there to get the rules document ? It will be only in Thai ?

Thanks again !

In Thai only. 

Pattaya/Jomtiem land office handed them to me and I was able to make a copy.  No updates since 20 years ago. 

Thai condo ACT which refers to such rules document is mostly not followed though and whoever has the upper hand wins discrepancies.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KittenKong said:

By buying into the building you accept the club rules. The rules can include penalties in the form of fines, and these are decided on by majority vote of co-owners or by a duly elected committee. If individuals wont obey the rules then their access to services and facilities provided by the building can be removed until they do obey.

That's how it works. If you dont like it, move to another condo that has no rules. I would not like to live in that building though.

Want to explain how ordinary laymen such as those in Juristic bodies of condos can force someone to pay  fine, then? 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Want to explain how ordinary laymen such as those in Juristic bodies of condos can force someone to pay  fine, then? 

The fine will sit on your account until such time as you want to get a debt-free certificate, at which point you will be obliged to pay it.

If you owe a large amount then the building can apply to the court to force you to pay, and if you still dont pay then it can go as far as the court allowing the sale of the unit to cover the debts.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

The fine will sit on your account until such time as you want to get a debt-free certificate, at which point you will be obliged to pay it.

If you owe a large amount then the building can apply to the court to force you to pay, and if you still dont pay then it can go as far as the court allowing the sale of the unit to cover the debts.

Thank you for your clear explanation.

it always baffles me how pet people can be so blind from common sense.  I hate cats and I'm not evil. But some cats probably thought so.  some people are allergic to cats and a condo is too close of quarters for this kind of problem.   it is so funny how some people can be so clean but yet they don't mind a stinky cat litter box or cats jumping up onto the kitchen counter and table after they've walked in there cat litter box.  

I recently stayed in a condo via air B&B which I'm sure was illegal.  they had a flyer up in the elevator reminding people of the clause about no pets and no laundry hanging outside.  I didn't see any pets but 98% of all the balconies looked like a laundry.   the washing machine on the balcony was a combination with a dryer but I'm sure that's quite expensive to use. 

• Haha 1

There are multiple illegal hotel run and advertised through hotel.com. Illegal by law and against house rules but juristic seem incapable of resolving and the culprits who are known just ignore. Room numbers are actually sometime listed. You should feel lucky that your management enforces the house rules. What would it be like if every unit had a dog or a cat.....lines must be drawn to benefit the community. What is the company name of your juristic I would love thethem here!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Elkski said:

it always baffles me how pet people can be so blind from common sense.  I hate cats and I'm not evil. But some cats probably thought so.  some people are allergic to cats and a condo is too close of quarters for this kind of problem.   it is so funny how some people can be so clean but yet they don't mind a stinky cat litter box or cats jumping up onto the kitchen counter and table after they've walked in there cat litter box.  

I recently stayed in a condo via air B&B which I'm sure was illegal.  they had a flyer up in the elevator reminding people of the clause about no pets and no laundry hanging outside.  I didn't see any pets but 98% of all the balconies looked like a laundry.   the washing machine on the balcony was a combination with a dryer but I'm sure that's quite expensive to use. 

How unrealistic is it to disallow laundry.

Another juristic piece of $hit that I could also take care in a dark alley !

On 7/19/2018 at 3:51 PM, Suradit69 said:

When I bought my condo there was nothing, at least nothing I saw, that I signed agreeing to any rules. I bought my condo from a Thai lady and the condo management had nothing to do with the transaction.

Of course there may be some law or regulation that makes compliance with condo rules mandatory, but that's a different matter.

I should make it clear I agree with the ban on dogs. I would love to have a dog, but the thought of hundreds of people keeping dogs and not caring for them or the common areas properly doesn't bear thinking about.

the JP did provide a letter to the land office stating the account was clear, though. So yes, they were involved.

On 7/19/2018 at 3:51 PM, Suradit69 said:

When I bought my condo there was nothing, at least nothing I saw, that I signed agreeing to any rules. I bought my condo from a Thai lady and the condo management had nothing to do with the transaction.

Of course there may be some law or regulation that makes compliance with condo rules mandatory, but that's a different matter.

I should make it clear I agree with the ban on dogs. I would love to have a dog, but the thought of hundreds of people keeping dogs and not caring for them or the common areas properly doesn't bear thinking about.

the JP did provide a letter to the land office stating the account was clear, though. So yes, they were involved.

I also like cats. In fact I had them everywhere I have ever lived until I moved into a condo here. But even without the rules, a condo seems a very unsatisfactory place to keep a pet to me.  It also seems a very unsuitable place to raise children, and if I had any I would be living in a house.

For what it's worth I also think that cooking on balconies, laundry on balconies and leaving front doors open should all be completely banned in condo buildings, with no exceptions, along with short-term rentals of the AirBNB type. People who want to live in a pigsty can easily move to one. There are plenty available in Thailand.

Edited by KittenKong
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I also like cats. In fact I had them everywhere I have ever lived until I moved into a condo here. But even without the rules, a condo seems a very unsatisfactory place to keep a pet to me.  It also seems a very unsuitable place to raise children, and if I had any I would be living in a house.

For what it's worth I also think that cooking on balconies, laundry on balconies and leaving front doors open should all be completely banned in condo buildings, with no exceptions, along with short-term rentals of the AirBNB type. People who want to live in a pigsty can easily move to one. There are plenty available in Thailand.

And they can take their Jesus sandals out of the hallway, too.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Just as I thought, only a court can enforce a fine, no one else can.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, KittenKong said:

That's not the way it works.  The fine sits there UNTIL paid and the JPM will not sign the letter that all debts are PAID, ergo the condo cannot be sold.  Nothing about Courts so you need to check your facts.

• Like 1

Forget about the Condo Act you will be governed by your Juristic committee who within reason can do what they wish. If it is clearly displayed " no pets" (4 legged variety) then you will need to obey.

And yes,,,, they can turn your water & electricity off if they want

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

There is a condo building on the river in Nong Khai.  Quite a few owners can't be found.  There are court orders on the doors.  It is a slow process, but it eventually works out.  HOA has quite a bit more power than a unsecured debt collector.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, BobBKK said:

That's not the way it works.  The fine sits there UNTIL paid and the JPM will not sign the letter that all debts are PAID, ergo the condo cannot be sold.

That is exactly what I wrote.

5 hours ago, BobBKK said:

Nothing about Courts so you need to check your facts.

I know my facts. Courts can come into it if the amount owed becomes large enough to warrant getting them involved, again exactly as I wrote.

Been there, done that.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, natway09 said:

Forget about the Condo Act you will be governed by your Juristic committee who within reason can do what they wish. If it is clearly displayed " no pets" (4 legged variety) then you will need to obey.

And yes,,,, they can turn your water & electricity off if they want

This why most condo developments are a mess. The committee's job is to carry management according to the bylaws and Condo Act instead they just carryout their own personal agenda. 

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Not wrong, only a court can enforce a fine.  read what I said.

The Juristic Manager enforces the condo rules and is the ONLY one who has the legal power to do so. All fines are paid when selling or the sale doesn't go through it's as simple as that. I have been involved with condo committees, legal issues, LO for years and years. This is standard practice and not once has any Court been involved.

Sometimes fines can sit for 20+ years racking up interest to the point when the sale could not cover the debt. It is possible, at the point, that maybe a Court could be involved but it's highly unlikely much will happened as someone, somewhere, legally owns the unit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, inThailand said:

This why most condo developments are a mess. The committee's job is to carry management according to the bylaws and Condo Act instead they just carryout their own personal agenda. 

Sorry, not trying to be contradictory for the sake of it, but this is wrong. The JPM is there to manage the building and is the person responsible legally. The committee is there to monitor the JPM but has NO power over the JPM who is elected by the owners. It is true, in practice, that often the committee thinks it is in charge but that's only because they are unchallenged and owners are unaware of the Condo Act etc. 

• Like 1