Cave boys undergo spirit-boosting rite, make merit for Saman

webfact

Cave boys undergo spirit-boosting rite, make merit for Saman

By Natthawat Laping 
The Nation

e6e7d1010c0ea6ab685c1966b44b880b-sld.jpe

The 12 young footballers and their assistant coach rescued from Tham Luang Cave underwent a “life-prolonging ritual” at a temple on Thursday morning intended to lift their morale and that of their families.

Phra Khruba Saengla Thammasiri, abbot of Wat Phra That Sai Muang in the Myanmar border town of Tachilek, performed the ceremony at Wat Phra That Doi Wao in Chiang Rai’s Mae Sai district.

The traditional northern rite is performed to ensure that people or locales enjoy long, secure and prosperous lives.

It is said to lift the spirits of individuals and residents so they can continue to be productive members of society.

The ceremony also included merit-making for Lieutenant Commander Saman Gunan, the former Navy Seal who died on July 6 while putting oxygen tanks in place ready for the rescue operation.

Thanawuth Wibulrungreung, whose son Chanin “Titan” Wibulrungreung was among those saved, said all the boys’ parents had agreed they should be ordained as novices this month to make further merit for Saman.

Thanawuth said Titan, who he described as diligent, with moderate academic results and passion for football, had asked for an omelette when he first returned home.

He said the family was taking good care of the boy and was closely monitoring his mental and emotional condition.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30350383

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-07-19

...and how much are the oranges forking in for 13 participants plus family members for a "life-prolonging ritual hocus pocus"? I guess it is far more expensive than the life-prolonging herbal potions other charlatans sell.

3 hours ago, CelticBhoy said:

a “life-prolonging ritual” at a temple . . .

Who makes this stuff up? Is it done just to suit the occasion?

Give the lads a break. A well-deserved one at that. 

Naturally. The one who comes up with an ad-lib idea first wins.

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

I think we all need our spirits boosted as well after the weeks on end we have subjected to a non stop deluge of news and all that comes with it... let's all have a rest now...

Can’t believe...or maybe I CAN, the “Mean SPIRITED” attitudes expressed by some people !

This has been an Uplifting story around the world and many millions of readers and viewers are enjoying the follow-up material. No one is holding a gun at your head, forcing you to read it.

As for those who have nothing to contribute, aside from Snide Remarks, if you choose to live in THAILAND it would behove you to exhibit a midicum of “Good Grace,” if not “Good Breeding” (but lack of the latter, is perhaps obvious)  and RESPECT the beliefs of OUR HOSTS.  

3 hours ago, Lupatria said:

...and how much are the oranges forking in for 13 participants plus family members for a "life-prolonging ritual hocus pocus"? I guess it is far more expensive than the life-prolonging herbal potions other charlatans sell.

You don't believe in this.

Others do.

Don't ridicule those who do.

They probably won't ridicule you because you don't believe in it.

12 hours ago, hansnl said:

You don't believe in this.

Others do.

Don't ridicule those who do.

They probably won't ridicule you because you don't believe in it.

Very true. Just posted this somewhere else but it's relevant here too, maybe when the cave is fixed up will see the sub worshipped as a phallus...

1532038272732.jpg

2 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:
22 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Well I'm sure he could 'turn the other cheek' in the biblical sense.

I am sure he did, what choice did he have.

Well he did have his back to the wall. It was a play on worms words.

20 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Well he did have his back to the wall. It was a play on worms words.

"Good evening. I am the president of the Loyal Society for the Relief of Suffers from Pismronunciation, for the relief of people who can't say their worms correctly, or who use the wrong worms entirely, so that other people cannot underhand a bird they are spraying. It's just that you open your mouse, and the worms come turbling out in wuck a say that you dick not what you're thugging to be, and it's very distressing."

16 hours ago, Torrens54 said:

Can’t believe...or maybe I CAN, the “Mean SPIRITED” attitudes expressed by some people !

This has been an Uplifting story around the world and many millions of readers and viewers are enjoying the follow-up material. No one is holding a gun at your head, forcing you to read it.

As for those who have nothing to contribute, aside from Snide Remarks, if you choose to live in THAILAND it would behove you to exhibit a midicum of “Good Grace,” if not “Good Breeding” (but lack of the latter, is perhaps obvious)  and RESPECT the beliefs of OUR HOSTS.  

Ever heard of freedom of expression?

Just because I live here, doesn't mean I have to "respect" anything!

I can acknowledge it...but that is it!

They have the freedom to believe in little fairies and I have the freedom, to think it is nuts!

Get over it!

...and yourself!

Archived