(looking For Motorcy) Can't Take It Anymore... (riding The Buses, 4 Hr. Commute)

Pawpcorn

Hi, been daily commuting from Kluoy Nam Thai (AKA Ekamai) to the Rama II Centron area for 6 months... and I just can't stand the 3 to 4 hour round trip commute (for 16 km one way!) another day.

Anybody know a second-hand bike I can pick up for about 10k Baht?

Ready to buy, like... yesterday (even got an advance from my boss because I'm so frustrated with my 2 bus / walk 3-5 blocks carrying heavy bag-routine...)

Maybe at 57 my patience is wearing a little thin...

Thanks,

July-2006 Expat, here to stay. :o

Hi, been daily commuting from Kluoy Nam Thai (AKA Ekamai) to the Rama II Centron area for 6 months... and I just can't stand the 3 to 4 hour round trip commute (for 16 km one way!) another day.

Anybody know a second-hand bike I can pick up for about 10k Baht?

Ready to buy, like... yesterday (even got an advance from my boss because I'm so frustrated with my 2 bus / walk 3-5 blocks carrying heavy bag-routine...)

Maybe at 57 my patience is wearing a little thin...

Thanks,

July-2006 Expat, here to stay. :o

For 10g you'll likely end up taking bus and pushing bike on regular basis. Keep saving till you reach about 20g and then buy.

Hi! I appreciate your advice, and take it to heart, believe me... BUT... (having said that)

Today I found a rare species of bike here in Thailand... a bike that is not "scootered out" like all the Thai bikes... but an honest to God American-model and American-looking bike... at a remarkable price of 7000 Baht. I rode on the back for a few miles, and it has great "pick-up-and-go" (do they STILL say that??) a very soft ride, which this old back of mine appreciates!

It's a 1992 Kawasaki KH 125, (two stroke, oil injection) in pretty good shape, although the tach and gas guage don't work...

Here's a picture of this model...

http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/624791/

and the specs...

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/kawasaki_...980.php#GENERAL

He's fixing the headlight and external spring on the kickstart lever tomorrow, and I plan on picking it up from him then, assuming the deal is still on (and he hasn't figured out it's worth more, IMHO, or one of his friends hasn't offered him more, or some other deal-buster).

My Thai partner is fit to be tied... I must have heard 20 "don't liiiiike!"s tonight... style ain't Thai style... I finally got him to stop the "attitude" by pointing out his behavior was just a variation on the good ol' Thai Boi motto of "no money, no honey" (a frequent theme here in the land of smiles, have you noticed?)

Wish me luck, and thanks again for the advice! I figure worst case, I sell it in a few months for what I paid, and buy something more expensive... eh?

Gerald :o

Edited by Pawpcorn

I know the KH Series well, I owned a number of Kwackers in the UK, their gearbox can be a bit clunky (so dont worry about it that it sounds very loud), the tacho may well be where the cable goes into the front hub, a sregular shot of WD 40 may well do the trick, keep an eye on the chain and if not fitted a good Chain Lube would be good, but these things go on for ever.

would appreciate any comments, questions, pointers, anything to help me decide on whether to go ahead on an offer of a honda wave 100 (non-automatic), 2.5 years old, done about 5000 km which is being offered at 20,000 baht. the seller is related to my partner and is apparently to be trusted on her assertion of the bike being in ok condition.

i'm a total ignoramus on the market in motorbikes.

is the price market? a deal? high?

thanks.

would appreciate any comments, questions, pointers, anything to help me decide on whether to go ahead on an offer of a honda wave 100 (non-automatic), 2.5 years old, done about 5000 km which is being offered at 20,000 baht. the seller is related to my partner and is apparently to be trusted on her assertion of the bike being in ok condition.

i'm a total ignoramus on the market in motorbikes.

is the price market? a deal? high?

thanks.

Very good price.

I know the KH Series well, I owned a number of Kwackers in the UK, their gearbox can be a bit clunky (so dont worry about it that it sounds very loud), the tacho may well be where the cable goes into the front hub, a sregular shot of WD 40 may well do the trick, keep an eye on the chain and if not fitted a good Chain Lube would be good, but these things go on for ever.

Hey, PR, thanks for the advice! I've had the bike now for two days, and I absolutely love it. I ended up paying 8500B for it, but still feel that it was a steal, easily worth 20,000B if you're not hung up on the "Thai-look" of motorcycles (as a fashion statement???) This is one great bike that kicks ass. Had it up to 100 KPH today, and it rides so nice... Turns out it was only owned by one Thai man, who bought it brand new, then his son was riding it, when I discovered it. Thank you, God! :D

Turns out the Tach cable is actually MISSING, and the hole in the crankcase has been epoxied over... hel_l, it's Thailand, what else is new...

Deficiencies at this point is just... no horn, non-working tach, non-working gas guage, no instrument panel illumination, a cracked handlebar clamp, and no (spring-heel-in-)return for the kick-start-shaft. The cracked handlebar clamp is #1 repair item, since it's a safety hazard...

An oddity about the riding experience seems as tho there is a kind of instability at very slow speeds. I feel stupid and inept, like a beginner, with the lack of balance I seem to have as I'm creeping between cars; I really don't get it! Gut feeling is that I'm used to bikes that have the front wheel extended at a more severe angle away from the bike, and longer, taller handlebars, both of which contribute to slow speed balance stability for this 6'4" farang. Can't do anything about the rake of the front wheel, but I CAN buy replacement handlebars that are a little taller, which might help... any ideas?

Tomorrow I'm going to have to count the number of gears, for sure... the side of the bike says GTO, which is a much higher horsepower engine plant and top speed than the KH 125... but the GTO is 5 speed and the KH is 6 speed. Will nail this poni.

God it's great to hear the two stroke whine again... Only thing better would be to hear the two cylinder 250cc Yamaha mating call...

Later,

Gerald :D

P.S. Poni, it's -get-the-medical-certificate time, next week, get the driving permit, then transfer the ownership of the bike before my luck runs out with these daily-stop-by-the-police-raids-b.s... how weird is that shit? :o