What's The Average Thai Salary?

jeebusjones

The average college grad office worker/drone can make 8-15,000 on entry level.

7-11/dept store staff = 6,000-8,000 a month on average.

The low level engineers I know make 25,000-40,000 working for companies like PTT . From what i've heard middle management above them with a masters degree aren't making much more than that..probably 50,000-60,000 top end.

Ladies selling Som Tam/noodles with a popular stall can rake in 30,000+ a month fairly easily. So you see the people hustling merchandise in high visibility places like Silom are probably earning more than low level engineers working for some "prestigious" Thai company. It's not unheard of for stall owners to be making good money for Thai standards if they can secure a nice spot and decent customer base.

Small Internet cafe owners = 50,000 a month easy after expenses.

:cheesy: A wee bit sensitive are we?

[x] Inconsistent Story

[x] Threatening Violence

[x] Too angry to write in Complete Sentences

[x] Standard for Thai Visa

[x] Delusional

[ ] Can Spell

What the hel_l would you know about anything.... Do you think i just met this girl??????

I known her for years actually. I also live within her family unit on a daily basis.... Why do you think every Thai person is a liar and a cheat, I never mentioned she did charity work, i said she DONATES to charitable causes you total dick.

Go and find yourself a pay per night girl, as it seems to me, that is what you are constantly surrounding yourself with. Because, like mrdeedee, you seem to enjoy sitting there at your little pc, picking apart other peoples posts, and getting totally off topic so that you can offend someone....

We all know why people sit on forum sidelines waiting to offend other innocent people........imagine we were having this convo sat in a bar.... would you or mrdeedee chip in with the same contributions????.. hel_l no..

You would be far too aware that YOUR TEETH WOULD BE KNOCKED STRAIGHT DOWN YOUR THROAT. So you sit in relative safety and anonymity in your little aircon apartment with the curtain drawn and your door firmly locked.

Or maybe i am wrong... you are actually that person who came to Thailand once, for 3 weeks and humped your brains out continuously because you can't get a girl at home. That has made you obsessive about Thai girls.

Fortunately, i am not like you. I am living in a beautiful house on the cheap. I have a fantastic missus. Who has a fantastic family. I know this, i been part of it for years.

what would YOU know.

Seems to me.... people like you are missing 3 things.

backbone.

education

inteligence

Edited by Chunky1

Consider some numbers.

Let's take Bangkok. I don't know the actual numbers, but here is a guess.

1) 10,000,000 people earn 6,000 bt/month.

2) 1,000,000 people earn 30,000 bt/month

3) 500,000 people earn 60,000 bt/month

4) 500,000 people earn 100,000 bt/month

5) 100,000 people earn 300,000 bt/month

6) 50,000 people earn 1,000,000 bt/month.

In this case the average monthly salary would be a little more than 18,000 per month. And yet over 80% of these people are earning only 6,000 bt/month, while a little over 0.4% are earning huge incomes. Numbers are elusive and it is easy to make assumptions without a strong grounding in numeracy.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

• 2 months later...

Bkk salaries are usually 2x everywhere else.

ChiangMai

Guest-house receptionist, 6 days a week, 10 hours a day =5,000bht a month

Waitress/Cleaner 100bht a day =3,000bht a month (plus tips)

7/11 store (national wage but need high school diploma) = 7,500bht a month

Thai school teacher in state school= 8,000bht a month (plus pension and medical plan)

Farm worker = 3,000bht a month

Edited by sarahsbloke

I've often wondered this myself. Most of the students who graduated from the university where I taught moved to Bangkok after graduation and earned at least 50k or more to start. Here in Isan the monthly income is very low of course, but many people don't really work. They live off their land (which they usually own).

A more interesting question is about the distribution of wealth. (I am not including some people people in this comment, for obvious reasons and because the figures are not in the public domain). In many western countries its widely accepted that 10-15% of the population own 85-90% of the wealth. But in Thailand according to IMF, World Bank,CIA, and similar organisations, this figure is more like 1-2%. In a population of 68 million that's a small number of people with lots of beamers and mercs.

Yes, and that 2% equates to 1 million people. At a guess half live in BK. 500,000 Mercs et al and high end restaurants for them to drive to disguise the fact that most people are pretty dam_n poor.

And the next time you see that BMW think about the fact that the owner of it pays his staff 8000 bht a month. I am no communist but why would any one envy such a morally bankrupt individual?

A more interesting question is about the distribution of wealth. (I am not including some people people in this comment, for obvious reasons and because the figures are not in the public domain). In many western countries its widely accepted that 10-15% of the population own 85-90% of the wealth. But in Thailand according to IMF, World Bank,CIA, and similar organisations, this figure is more like 1-2%. In a population of 68 million that's a small number of people with lots of beamers and mercs.

Could you provide a link that shows that 1-2% of the population holds 85-90% of the wealth in Thailand?

What I do find is in the CIA world factbook:

Thailand

Household income or consumption by percentage share:

lowest 10%: 1.6%

highest 10%: 33.7% (2006)

USAHousehold income or consumption by percentage share:

lowest 10%: 2%

highest 10%: 30% (2007 est.)

I know you really, really want to believe that Thailand has one of the worst wealth and income distribution issue in the whole wide world, but the facts just don't support that.

Here is a little summary table to give some perspective.

post-7298-0-84774400-1291101073_thumb.jp

Cheers

TH

Edited by thaihome

Consider some numbers.

Let's take Bangkok. I don't know the actual numbers, but here is a guess.

1) 10,000,000 people earn 6,000 bt/month.

2) 1,000,000 people earn 30,000 bt/month

3) 500,000 people earn 60,000 bt/month

4) 500,000 people earn 100,000 bt/month

5) 100,000 people earn 300,000 bt/month

6) 50,000 people earn 1,000,000 bt/month.

In this case the average monthly salary would be a little more than 18,000 per month. And yet over 80% of these people are earning only 6,000 bt/month, while a little over 0.4% are earning huge incomes. Numbers are elusive and it is easy to make assumptions without a strong grounding in numeracy.

If those statistics are correct (as I would believe they are) then you've pretty much answered the original question in a succinct manner.

Averages don't me a thing. It's how the bulk of the people live that really matters. You could have one foot in boiling water and one foot in ice water and the average would say you should be comfortable.

I think speaking English and being willing to work for a Western company will increase a Thai's salary greatly. My gf makes around 25k a month at her 1st job and has been working there for around 8 months. Her friends there that don't have a masters but do the same job make about 5k less a month. She works customer service for a Western company so English is a big part of their hiring.

Another friend of mine got his first job making 23k right out of his bachelor working for a German company. He is now a year later pulling in around 30k a month. With him too I think it was his English skills that led to his success.

My foreign friend has told me that a lot has to do with having Chinese blood too. He has worked at large Western companies here that only hire Chinese Thais. And now that he is head of hiring for his current company, whenever an applicant mentions that he/she is Chinese Thai, my friend just shows him/her the door.

we soon get to 2011 , get out the cave

- Chinese/Th blood have nothing to do with the job , what kind of company hiring someone without the degree or cert. - for what ?

I think speaking English and being willing to work for a Western company will increase a Thai's salary greatly. My gf makes around 25k a month at her 1st job and has been working there for around 8 months. Her friends there that don't have a masters but do the same job make about 5k less a month. She works customer service for a Western company so English is a big part of their hiring.

Another friend of mine got his first job making 23k right out of his bachelor working for a German company. He is now a year later pulling in around 30k a month. With him too I think it was his English skills that led to his success.

My foreign friend has told me that a lot has to do with having Chinese blood too. He has worked at large Western companies here that only hire Chinese Thais. And now that he is head of hiring for his current company, whenever an applicant mentions that he/she is Chinese Thai, my friend just shows him/her the door.

- Chinese/Th blood have nothing to do with the job , what kind of company hiring someone without the degree or cert. - for what ?

You are responding to something someone wrote YEARS ago

You are responding to something someone wrote YEARS ago

rite,

but that thought should not be happend on 20th century

should be happend with farang somewhat between 18th-19th century who know nothing abt Thai ppls and TH-CH

Most of the students who graduated from the university where I taught moved to Bangkok after graduation and earned at least 50k or more to start.

Where would that be?

I want to know that too...most graduates I see (co-workers or applicants that I have interviewed for positions etc) end up in 18 - 25k range, and this in a technical field with slightly higher money in salaries for new graduates...

There are clearly some folks who have issues with German automobiles.

:)

I certainly do. That AMG S65 is waaaaay over my budget. :(

Easy to fix. Just do as some others here: rationalize that everyone driving one is either a corrupt politician, criminal, still owes X,000,000 Baht on it, and/or that the entire local social/economic system is flawed (and don't think for a moment that you're not working hard or clever enough, because that can't be it, no way. No. Not possible.). Or maybe say that you don't really want one, not that anyone even asked.

You'll feel better. Sorted. AARGH!, my neighbor just swung into her driveway in her Audi S8... just barely missing my Vigo.

:)

S8? She must be bent. There's not a chance in hell that a Thai could drive a car like that without being corrupt. No Thai is cleverer or possesses more business acumen than me. It's simply impossible. I'm a westerner. Probably the wife of a local mafia police boss selling out of date school milk to Hmong refugee kids or renting jet skis to blind beggars on Sukhumvit.

Pass another Chang would you. This one appears to be empty.

• 8 months later...

Not meaning to bump an old thread but was trying to find out what the average salary in Thailand would be for someone in their early 20's working at some pharmaceutical company. She works in product quality, whatever that entails.

Anyway the reason for this was that she reckons she gets 22k a month and of that sends 15k bhat a month back home to her mother. From reading around here and other Thailand forums that seems more than even the average annual salary. Is she trying to pull a fast one here?

It's a western based company too.

Edited by wellred

I've always wondered about he minimum Thai salaries. Two years ago I was in the hunt for a maid. I offered one girl 15.000/month for a 9-5, 6 days/week job. She showed up three hours late the first day, brought a friend who spent 4 hours in my couch watching TV the second day and didn't show up at all on the third.

Apparently she found a better paying job somewhere. I wasn't to unhappy with her absence, but it does make you think.

Ok looks like teerak could be telling the truth. Fair dos.

Alrhough not directly related to this I find it strange how much parents rely on kids to support them. It almost seems like the kids are essentially pensions for parents. Seems her father fecked off when she was a kid so the mum supports her and her sister. Not sure if her mum even works tbh.

Anyway thanks.

It almost seems like the kids are essentially pensions for parents.

Yeah

To moderate it a bit, don't forget Thailand doesn't have the same benefit/support/pension system as the West does. Unfortunately though some parents just get way to greedy with it.

Not meaning to bump an old thread but was trying to find out what the average salary in Thailand would be for someone in their early 20's working at some pharmaceutical company. She works in product quality, whatever that entails.

Anyway the reason for this was that she reckons she gets 22k a month and of that sends 15k bhat a month back home to her mother. From reading around here and other Thailand forums that seems more than even the average annual salary. Is she trying to pull a fast one here?

It's a western based company too.

With all due respects even a guy on minimum wage would be earning double the 22k per year you seem to think is an average annual salary.