What's The Average Thai Salary?

jeebusjones

German cars are not a good gauge for wealth- many Thais, like poor, image-conscious Americans, go out and buy a nice new car when they barely have enough funds for it. I know some Asian-Americans who work at a gas station the drive a BMW around, and if they're not sharing it with someone else, it must be where all their funds are going. Thankfully the US experienced the anti-materialism movement during the 60's, and, unlike Asia, you're not going to be looked down on if you're rich and don't have such a car.

Regarding average salaries, you have to understand too that in places like Isaan people can't even find jobs, let alone concern themselves over what the salary is (probably 3000 baht a month). Cambodia and Laos still have places with salaries in the 1000 baht range.

I am pretty unsure about the 40k/mo claim for fresh out of college ... unless the degree they hold is hard science etc (and even then)

I do know that it is possible for a very well connected Thai guy with a degree in IT and professional certs in a specialty to make 100k/mo 6 years out of college ... but he would have prof certifications that put him as one of 19 people in the country :)

These are people with an overseas degree either at undergrad or graduate level - they need the overseas degree to have the level of english that is required and thus can get a premium for this.

Withing a few months they are being head hunted - plenty of people moving into the Thai market as its cheaper to do certain things there and our traning and development is excellent - some of the CRO's are willing to pay a premium for a trained person as they can not do the training themselves due to lack of resources or no wish to invest in them.

The old saying apply's too

Old money gos to England

New money goes to America

No money goes to Australia

100,000 IT guy in Thailand - IT is very wide - yes I would say 100,000 as a SAP guy or someone with banking experience etc should have no problem with that with only 6 years.

1 of only 19 though - I struggle to think what that would be in area's I know (IT is so wide now its impossible to keep track) but it can not be SAP - plenty of those around.

If I was him i would be off contracting and pulling in more than that a week - makes me miss those days now I am permie again even if the money is the same it does not feel like the same seat of your pants work.!

What is a SAP? 100,000+ per week contracting? Where would they make that kind of money? In Thailand ?

While the top 10-20% or as it was put; the "HAVES" certainly exist, you can see that would leave about 80-90% in the catergory known as the "HAVE NOTS".

The minimum wage in the glorious "Land 'O Thais" (unless I am mistaken) is broken down like this;

These regulations apply to all businesses and rates depend largely on the location of the workplace.

The minimum wage per DAY effective January 1, 2007 are:

191 ฿ Bangkok , Nonthaburi, Nakhon Pathom, Pathumthani, Samut Prakan, Samut Sakhon

186 ฿ Phuket

172 ฿ Chonburi

168 ฿ Saraburi

162 ฿ Nakhon Ratchasima

161 ฿ Rayong

160 ฿ Chachoengsao, Ayutthaya, Ranong

159 ฿ Chiang Mai, Phang Nga

156 ฿ Krabi, Petchaburi

155 ฿ Kanchanaburi Chanthaburi, Lopburi

154 ฿ Ratchaburi, Samut Songkhram, Srakeaw

152 ฿ Trang, Prachuapkirikan, Prachinburi, Songkhla, Singburi, Ang Thong

150 ฿ Loei, Udon Thani

149 ฿ Chumphon, Trat, Lampang, Lamphum, Sukothai, Suphanburi

148 ฿ Kalasin, Khon Kaen, Nakhon Phanom, Nakorn Si Thammarat, Narathiwat, Buriram, Pattani, Yala, Satun, Nong Khai

147 ฿ Kamphaengphet, Tak, Nakorn Na Yok, Nakorn Sawan, Phattalung, Phitsanulok, Phetchabun, Surat Thani, Uttaradit

146 ฿ Chainat, Chaiyaphum, Chiang Rai, Mahasarakram, Mukdahan, Yasothon, Roi Et, Sri Sa Ket, Sakhon Nakhon, Nong Bua Lamphu, U Thaithani

145 ฿ Phichit, Mae Hong Son, Surin, Ubon Ratchathani, Amnat Charoen

144 ฿ Payao and Phrae

143 ฿ Nan

That is assuming the company they work for even pays minimum wage. Although required to by law, there are a plethora of exemptions which a company can fall under to get around paying the minimum daily wage.

Restaurants and hotels must be exempted. One of my friends says she only makes 100 bht per day at a major hotel restaurant in Khon Kaen.

This discussion reminds me of the question... How far is up? You've got one foot in boiling water and one foot in ice water and the average says you should be comfortable. Anyone with half a brain can see there is a HUGE disparity in wages in Thailand. I've asked many Thai workers how much they earn. Most say about 200 to 300 baht a day. I haven't asked doctors or dentists about their salary, but for the rates they charge I'm sure it isn't that much when compared to wages in Europe and North America.

Even the average bar girl doesn't make that much unless they are especially beautiful and good at their trade. The competition is pretty fierce.

No one will ever know the real truth. If real income was reported more taxes would have to be paid. Most of the merchants have unreported income. These are typically middle class and never get put in the system. The only ones in the system work for corporations (or governement) that report taxes (deduct taxes). The good news most people can afford the needs in their lives.

god bless all those farrangs willing to part with their money to all those deserving uneducated gals. uhh unreported income. The Farrang lotto!!!!!!!!!!!

As long as we are on this topic, I have a related question. I have been told that in order to secure some jobs it is necessary to pay an “enhancement fee” to a particular hiring officer to land the job. In one case told to me, the person said they had to pay 100,000 bht to get a job in a bank. Anyone heard if this stuff is common?

My maid makes 8k a month for 6 days a week --- my Partner makes over 100k a month for 5 days a week ---

So the average Thai salary is over 54k a month :D

:):D:D

Good one! That is just what I was alluding to.

My maid makes 8k a month for 6 days a week --- my Partner makes over 100k a month for 5 days a week ---

So the average Thai salary is over 54k a month :)

WHAT! 100k per month?

Is she/he a nuclear scientist, brain surgeon, famous actor or something?

Monthly

Unskilled: 3000 to 5000

Semi skilled: 5000 to 10000

Skilled: 10000 to 20000

Rent a wives for Falung: 20000 to 40000

Skilled high end "Entertainment Girls" 50 to 100K bht ++

You know what?

Considering the costs of nightly entertainments and female company these days, I absolutely believe it.

Skilled high end "Entertainment Girls" 50 to 100K bht ++

You know what?

Considering the costs of nightly entertainments and female company these days, I absolutely believe it.

If I was a thai woman and somehow didn't have to worry about STDs, I think I'd sign up for that job :) unfortunately, that latter requirement can never be met.

Edited by Svenn

Hmmmmmmm well lets see now, lets just say his only interest is running his businesses he doesnt have any time for women at all, running his business is his life. He likes Buddhist beliefs and gives generously to many people/causes. No Im not one of them!

You assume a lot why do you think my life is terrible?I think its quite good Ive got almost everything I wanted so far.

Ah, you sound like one of those sports fans. "...And his favorite soda is Sprite. His dog is a dalmatian. He spends time visiting sick children in the hospital."

Truth is, you probably don't really know anything about him. Next time follow him, he'll probably get into a helicopter with Miss Thailand at some point.

Very good question, I would like to also know how they do it. I see many fancy cars, houses, etc. Were is all the money coming from if they only make about 8,000 baht a month,

Good question, what is the norm salary around BKK.

some Thai Chineses are really rich. they've been living in Thailand for many generations. if you do not talk to them deeply you wont know they are Thai Chineses. Some of older Thai Chineses still can speak a little chinese.

Monthly

Unskilled: 3000 to 5000

Semi skilled: 5000 to 10000

Skilled: 10000 to 20000

Rent a wives for Falung: 20000 to 40000

I would, pretty much, double all these rates for a Thai national working in Bangkok, add managerial (non-senior) 40K - 120K, and ignore rent-a-wives.

Yeah that does show some pretty low figures. But on the bottom left it also says:

GDP per capita (purchasing power parity) $8,600

So, the figures seem to contradict each other.

Also, what do you think of this quote from Wikipedia's article on Bangkok:

You guys don't understand much about statistics. "GDP per capita" means the national GDP divided by every living person in Thailand, including of course unemployed, babies, children and elderly.

It is totally meaningless in a discusion about the average wage of an employed person.

While the top 10-20% or as it was put; the "HAVES" certainly exist, you can see that would leave about 80-90% in the catergory known as the "HAVE NOTS".

The minimum wage in the glorious "Land 'O Thais" (unless I am mistaken) is broken down like this;

These regulations apply to all businesses and rates depend largely on the location of the workplace.

191 ฿ Bangkok , Nonthaburi, Nakhon Pathom, Pathumthani, Samut Prakan, Samut Sakhon

186 ฿ Phuket

172 ฿ Chonburi

168 ฿ Saraburi

162 ฿ Nakhon Ratchasima

161 ฿ Rayong

156 ฿ Krabi, Petchaburi

150 ฿ Loei, Udon Thani

148 ฿ Kalasin, Khon Kaen, Nakhon Phanom, Nakorn Si Thammarat, Narathiwat, Buriram, Pattani, Yala, Satun, Nong Khai

147 ฿ Kamphaengphet, Tak, Nakorn Na Yok, Nakorn Sawan, Phattalung, Phitsanulok, Phetchabun, Surat Thani, Uttaradit

146 ฿ Chainat, Chaiyaphum, Chiang Rai, Mahasarakram, Mukdahan, Yasothon, Roi Et, Sri Sa Ket, Sakhon Nakhon, Nong Bua Lamphu, U Thaithani

144 ฿ Payao and Phrae

143 ฿ Nan

That is assuming the company they work for even pays minimum wage. Although required to by law, there are a plethora of exemptions which a company can fall under to get around paying the minimum daily wage.

Since tod posted this about 2 years ago, the bangkok rate has gone up to somewhere around 210 baht per day (give or take a few baht, I can't remember but it was around that).

Hmmmmmmm well lets see now, lets just say his only interest is running his businesses he doesnt have any time for women at all, running his business is his life. He likes Buddhist beliefs and gives generously to many people/causes. No Im not one of them!

You assume a lot why do you think my life is terrible?I think its quite good Ive got almost everything I wanted so far.

Ah, you sound like one of those sports fans. "...And his favorite soda is Sprite. His dog is a dalmatian. He spends time visiting sick children in the hospital."

Truth is, you probably don't really know anything about him. Next time follow him, he'll probably get into a helicopter with Miss Thailand at some point.

Truth certainly is I know him better than you ever will :):D

186 ฿ Phuket

172 ฿ Chonburi

168 ฿ Saraburi

162 ฿ Nakhon Ratchasima

161 ฿ Rayong

156 ฿ Krabi, Petchaburi

150 ฿ Loei, Udon Thani

144 ฿ Payao and Phrae

143 ฿ Nan

Since tod posted this about 2 years ago, the bangkok rate has gone up to somewhere around 210 baht per day (give or take a few baht, I can't remember but it was around that).

Posted 2 years ago but rates form 1 January 2007 , 3 years and 3 months ago.

1 May 2008 this was 195 B a day for Bangkok and five neighbouring provinces.

Had a increase of another 7 precent so you couldt be right around 210 B, compair this with the food prices from 2007 till now increase about 50 % (average meal 3 x a day (20 Baht) in Jan 2007 and 30 baht in Jan 2010).

So hard work and hard live for this workers.

Respect.

Edited by needforspeed

how come i never see the hiso thai girl and her farang husband out in public?

do they live in gated castles and refrain from mingling with normal folk.

OR IS HISO THAI GIRL AND THE FARNANG A MYTH. of course exceptions are duly noted.

OR IS HISO THAI GIRL AND THE FARNANG A MYTH. of course exceptions are duly noted.

You never see them as you didn't go to the right places :)

where are the right places?

i never see them at suwannpoompoom, siam paragon,.........

Chances are the folks that typically catch your eye aren't average.

I'd also say that chances are, the really wealthy folks here (like everywhere else in the world) for the most part go unnoticed.

:)

Yeah I was in a lift with my wife in Pullman Khon Kaen and this rather unassuming bloke got in with a couple of others. I asked him his floor and when we arrived he politely thanked me as he left.

" You know that was Kobchai Chirathivat? " asked my wife.

Really? Might as well have been a manager at a local bank judging by his manner etc.

So, are we supposed to know who Kobchai Chirathivat is? Do let us in on the secret.

He's either centre half for Peterborough United or one of the Central Group bigwigs. Not sure which. :D

where are the right places?

i never see them at suwannpoompoom, siam paragon,.........

Oh Oh Bronto a lot to learn,

I am and never would be intresting in the HISO or there hobbies, but here we go:

Fashion week Louis Vuitton, Fashion shows Chanel, Bec Tero (maleenont tower), Polo club, Q bar special events, Oriental hotel High tea, Thailand open Tennis, Thailand PGA Golf.

Good luck

I am pretty unsure about the 40k/mo claim for fresh out of college ... unless the degree they hold is hard science etc (and even then)

I do know that it is possible for a very well connected Thai guy with a degree in IT and professional certs in a specialty to make 100k/mo 6 years out of college ... but he would have prof certifications that put him as one of 19 people in the country :)

These are people with an overseas degree either at undergrad or graduate level - they need the overseas degree to have the level of english that is required and thus can get a premium for this.

Withing a few months they are being head hunted - plenty of people moving into the Thai market as its cheaper to do certain things there and our traning and development is excellent - some of the CRO's are willing to pay a premium for a trained person as they can not do the training themselves due to lack of resources or no wish to invest in them.

The old saying apply's too

Old money gos to England

New money goes to America

No money goes to Australia

100,000 IT guy in Thailand - IT is very wide - yes I would say 100,000 as a SAP guy or someone with banking experience etc should have no problem with that with only 6 years.

1 of only 19 though - I struggle to think what that would be in area's I know (IT is so wide now its impossible to keep track) but it can not be SAP - plenty of those around.

If I was him i would be off contracting and pulling in more than that a week - makes me miss those days now I am permie again even if the money is the same it does not feel like the same seat of your pants work.!

What is a SAP? 100,000+ per week contracting? Where would they make that kind of money? In Thailand ?

In the US, the only SAP I am aware of are Special Access Programs requiring seriously enhanced security clearances. And yes, they do command big salaries.

• 1 month later...
Someone with an education and a decent job is still likely to be earning 15-25,000 baht or so, I mean Doctors in a public hospital would be lucky to be getting more than say 30k baht, so a teenager working at Mcdonalds in the UK could easily earn three times what a fully qualified doctor of 30 years does here.

It's true. I have spoken to quite a few doctors and nurses. A nurse from B&H Hospital that I spoke to only earned about 25k a month. The doctors I spoke to said they'd earn at most 35k a month at a public hospital, and around 45k at a private hospital.

On the other hand, I spoke to a Thai woman working as a flight attendant for Japan Airlines, and she was earning 50k a month.

But a friend of mine has a girlfriend working as an accountant. She has a Master's Degree and still only earns 10k a month, which she considers to be quite high.

So the disparity in incomes is pretty huge, and education seems to have little to do with it.

Most general practitioners I know at Samitivej hospital make around 400,000 baht a month.

A surgeon I know there tops around 800,000 to 1,000,000 a month easily.

Neurosurgeons at Bumrungrad come in at around 1,500,000 or so a month.

I've never heard of a Thai physician making only 45k. :)

1. You have to understand that income distribution in Thailand is very different from developed nations. The difference between the top 1% and the bottom 50% is much more marked.

A common misconception. The Gini coefficient is described as "a measure of inequality of income or wealth." (from Wikipedia). A Gini coefficient of 0 indicates perfect equality. A coefficient of 1 indicates absolute inequality. It is usually multiplied by 100 when stated.

The latest Gini (inequality) coefficient of Thailand is 42. The latest Gini (inequality) coefficient of the USA is 45. The USA is the 42nd most inequitable nation in the world. Thailand is 52nd.

The fact is, Western style capitalist countries are at least as unfair as Thailand, and in many cases they are much, much worse.

It is pure Western bias that makes people think otherwise. That is not to say an entire nation like the USA can not have an absolute advantage over another nation like Thailand, but on a relative scale the income distribution in Thailand is more fair than the income distribution in the US.

While I can not say for sure that if you specifically take the top 1% vs. the bottom 50% exactly how the numbers will work out for the 2 countries, I can say that the Gini coefficient tells us the USA is more likely to show extreme disparity than Thailand for any given band, and you will need to provide some actual statistics to back up your statement if you want to continue pressing this argument. Even if by some chance you are correct it would be a stastical fluke rather than a general trend, and changing the thresholds only slightly would likely render you incorrect.

Someone with an education and a decent job is still likely to be earning 15-25,000 baht or so, I mean Doctors in a public hospital would be lucky to be getting more than say 30k baht, so a teenager working at Mcdonalds in the UK could easily earn three times what a fully qualified doctor of 30 years does here.

It's true. I have spoken to quite a few doctors and nurses. A nurse from B&H Hospital that I spoke to only earned about 25k a month. The doctors I spoke to said they'd earn at most 35k a month at a public hospital, and around 45k at a private hospital.

On the other hand, I spoke to a Thai woman working as a flight attendant for Japan Airlines, and she was earning 50k a month.

But a friend of mine has a girlfriend working as an accountant. She has a Master's Degree and still only earns 10k a month, which she considers to be quite high.

So the disparity in incomes is pretty huge, and education seems to have little to do with it.

Most general practitioners I know at Samitivej hospital make around 400,000 baht a month.

A surgeon I know there tops around 800,000 to 1,000,000 a month easily.

Neurosurgeons at Bumrungrad come in at around 1,500,000 or so a month.

I've never heard of a Thai physician making only 45k. :)

This type of salary rivals doctors in the US. If I were a doctor and granted a license to work I wouldnt think twice and land a job in LOS with this kind of salary.

general practitioner 400K baht = $12,000...thats $145K a year

general surgeon 1,000,000 baht = $30,000...thats $360K a year

and less taxes in LOS to boot.

something doesnt add up

Edited by tangcoral