Most Dangerous Area(s) of Bangkok

utalkin2me

2 hours ago, upu2 said:

There are no dangerous places to speak of if you use a little bit of thought and act accordingly. You go down a long, quiet road at 3am then there is a chance of being mugged just like a similar situation anywhere in the world. Same if you are in a bar showing loads of gold or cash. Use your head and you wont have a problem, at least that is my experience of 34 years in Thailand

Then you have not heard of Klong Toei docks. A very poor, tough, violent dangerous area.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For my two baht, If you are worried about avoiding danger, thinking about it in terms of places where you will be safe/safer doesn't really apply as much as say in the states or Europe. Even in the states, the notion of "dangerous neighborhoods" are now starting to be revealed as the trumped up (no pun intended, this didn't start with that Trump)  part of a corrupt HUD/banking/ real estate/covert operations funding scam to try to knock property values down for re-sale and easy profits later while running drug sales profitting off that  in the mean time till the neighborhood gets sold off to real estate developers.

I think a better way to think about all that here in Thaialnd  is to think about the staggering amount dangerous situations and circumstances that can develop  that spell danger no matter what area of Bangkok you might be in. There are many  that a daily perusal of the Thai visa news headlines would serve well to remind you. It really is life on the edge in old Siam town. Whoa nelly! Watch out for them danglin high tension electrical wires! We wouldn't want you to get electrocuted there now would we?

3 hours ago, The manic said:

Then you have not heard of Klong Toei docks. A very poor, tough, violent dangerous area.

Of course I have but why would you be wondering around the docks? I grew up in a city with docks and that was the same but unless you worked on the docks or had business at the docks you never needed to go there

The most dangerous place in all of Bangkok is on the backseat of a motorbike-taxi. 

Have lived in bangkok now 2 years for studying, and befor grew up in Chonburi for 5 years and there arent really any areas that are "no go zones" like you have in some bigger citys in the US and EU, if you are foreigner no thug/dealer wants anything to do with you unless you are a customer. I wouldnt advice to walk around in early morning hours in Klong Toei slums or really any slums for that which have heavy drugs use (so all of them lol) just bcus addicts arent known to be the most resonable people. 

Make sure you get an apartment thats guarded since someone breaking into your home is much more likely and avoid motorbike-taxis at all cost and you are safe, to wander by accident into a slum you would need to be really really dense, its impossible to walk by "accident" into a slum that gives off bad vibes in first place at night.

I lived for 58 years in Los Angeles. Entire huge areas you would never dare go into.

What a great city it is. We have the best riots and shoots outs in the world. There really is nothing better than watching a city burn right in front of your eyes with the sound of automatic gunfire all around you. but I digress. 

I have yet had anyone warn me to avoid any part of Thailand. Except police owned karaokes in Chiang Mai and Cockatoo Bar on Cowboy. :cheesy:

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

I lived for 58 years in Los Angeles. Entire huge areas you would never dare go into.

What a great city it is. We have the best riots and shoots outs in the world. There really is nothing better than watching a city burn right in front of your eyes with the sound of automatic gunfire all around you. but I digress. 

I have yet had anyone warn me to avoid any part of Thailand. Except police owned karaokes in Chiang Mai and Cockatoo Bar on Cowboy. :cheesy:

''city burn right in front of your eyes with the sound of automatic gunfire all around you'' 

if you are talking about 1992 Los Angeles riot, that was 25 years ago.

''Entire huge areas you would never dare go into''    if you could read thai news and see where most crimes and murders is commited, i think you would know where you would not dare go into.

4 hours ago, ta158 said:

Klong toei. most nutorious slum and for crime.

48089439_klongtoey.png.3b1a0490efb3c5dc52735bde7dc922e7.png

34535720_Namnls(2).png.5322dd102c6a2cf8986485536832cd7a.png

244557652_klongtoey2.png.c95053e5778018755076b78b90cb20c4.pngklong_toey_homes32-503x322.jpg.c1d63faae298fffb04cfa4363f0f67f1.jpgimmanuel01.jpg.570778bc919d031e817a4ba2ca82bb96.jpg

klong-toei-slum-bangkok-thailand-B1WDM6.jpg

Thanks. Yeah I walked those tracks for a stretch in the daytime once to get to the subway station. It actually was not too bad, but i do remember telling myself do not use this same route at night. 

A post linking to the Bangkok Post and replies concerning the post have been removed.

From the Forum Rules:

26. The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

These restrictions are put in place by the above publications, not Thaivisa.com

In rare cases, forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources under special permission.

7 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

Thanks. Yeah I walked those tracks for a stretch in the daytime once to get to the subway station. It actually was not too bad, but i do remember telling myself do not use this same route at night. 

Yeah it may not be the smartest move to walk in the slum or housing projects during the night, lots of gangs, drug addicts, crazy people. Notice on all the pics of dangerous areas ive posted in all of the housing projects a police station is located in the housing project

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 8:30 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

Other than walking around the Klongtoey slums (and maybe this is exaggerated), Bangkok is far safer than most western cities, unless you behave like an idiot.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Agree. I wouldn't go into Klong Toey anytime of day/ night, but I've never felt uneasy in Bkk like I would in London.

Of course, none of us has been everywhere in Bkk- it's just too big.

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 7:43 PM, upu2 said:

Of course I have but why would you be wondering around the docks? I grew up in a city with docks and that was the same but unless you worked on the docks or had business at the docks you never needed to go there

I know why, but I can't say on here. Of course some may just like docks.

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Agree. I wouldn't go into Klong Toey anytime of day/ night, but I've never felt uneasy in Bkk like I would in London.

Of course, none of us has been everywhere in Bkk- it's just too big.

it is funny how people always think just because they feel unsafe = high crime, dangerous, shootings, and such compared to thailand, UK is not that bad, and when people say ive never felt unsafe in bangkok or thailand, and ive walked everywhere at night = super safe, no to little crime, no murders, no robberies. they probably just walked in the tourist areas,  in reality thailand has always been and is still more brutal than UK in terms of crime and amount, its just that normal tourists or many expats dont see violence or read/hear about it, try learning thai and see thai news.... bangkok is huge, some districts safer than others

2 minutes ago, ta158 said:

it is funny how people always think just because they feel unsafe = high crime, dangerous, shootings, and such compared to thailand, UK is not that bad, and when people say ive never felt unsafe in bangkok or thailand, and ive walked everywhere at night = super safe, no to little crime, no murders, no robberies. they probably just walked in the tourist areas,  in reality thailand has always been and is still more brutal than UK in terms of crime and amount, its just that normal tourists or many expats dont see violence or read/hear about it, try learning thai and see thai news.... bangkok is huge, some districts safer than others

LOL, I've lived in rural Thailand and a town with no farang tourists, and I didn't hide inside every night. Mind you, those village dogs would probably have killed me if they were not behind high walls. Far as humans were concerned, not worried.

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL, I've lived in rural Thailand and a town with no farang tourists, and I didn't hide inside every night. Mind you, those village dogs would probably have killed me if they were not behind high walls. Far as humans were concerned, not worried.

im not talking about that someone is going to kill or rob you smh.... im saying lets say in UK, british people can read about crime in the news and see what happens in the area if a lot of shit go down of course people will feel unsafe, as for in thailand not many expats and such can read thai news so they probably think nothing happens = feel safe, and thailands people everywhere all the time, and when did i mention anything about rural or towns with no tourists?, feels like you did not read what i wrote as usual on this site

what people feeling of safeness or unsafetyness does not represent the crime rate or amount, im thai but live in sweden right now, i was born and raised in Lat Phrao, bangkok.

i now live in fittja, sweden. fittja has about 7,700 people, 65% is born outside sweden and 91% is immigrants or refugees, fittja is a so called ''no go zone'' in swedish and european standards, there is some cases of robberies but not often and random attacks is rare, ive never felt unsafe at night, i can walk around everywhere here and other ''no go zones''.  cant say the same thing with Lat Phrao though..... at night motorcycle gangs ride around looking for trouble or other gangs to fight with (shot and stab) and lots of drug addicts, robberies is not uncommon. there was a gang called แก๊งวัดทอง (golden temple) they are responsible for a number of robberies and murder robberies, and fatal shootings of rival drug dealers and other gangs.  

On 7/24/2018 at 1:32 AM, alfalfa19 said:

i don't know all of bangkok, it is huge and bewildering.  but trouble spots i have found are:

1.   sukumvit near asoke.  last time i was there , which was admittedly several years ago,  there was an area under the overpass with highly trained pickpocket children.  they had teenage girls at either end of the trap zone acting as spotters , and violent looking goons lurking in the shadows. 

2.   lower sukumvit.  from soi 11 down to soi 3, i would say.  transvestite pickpockets, some operating in packs,  some huge, who come out and grab you in a bear hug whilst trying to pick your pocket.  lots of nigerian and other west african criminals, selling drugs or looking for victims.   

Well I have been strolling around those areas , often late at night , for 20 years and never had the least problem.

1 minute ago, joecoolfrog said:

Well I have been strolling around those areas , often late at night and never had the least problem.

and you probably think those are safe areas nice logic,  just because you have been strolling around those areas , often late at night and never had the least problem does not mean it is not a dangerous or not a high crime area....  you know that police recently arrested a gang of youths that attacked and robbed people with an axe around asoke, Sukhumvit Road and Thong Lor.  

1. Soi Lat Phrao 101
2. Soi Lat Phrao 107
3. Soi Sukhumvit 105
4. Soi Phaholyothin 52
5. Soi Suphaphong
6. Soi On Nut
7. Soi Chalermprakiat 14
8. Victory Monument
9. Sanam Luang
10. Ramintra Market

dangerous streets

On 7/24/2018 at 7:32 AM, alfalfa19 said:

i don't know all of bangkok, it is huge and bewildering.  but trouble spots i have found are:

1.   sukumvit near asoke.  last time i was there , which was admittedly several years ago,  there was an area under the overpass with highly trained pickpocket children.  they had teenage girls at either end of the trap zone acting as spotters , and violent looking goons lurking in the shadows. 

2.   lower sukumvit.  from soi 11 down to soi 3, i would say.  transvestite pickpockets, some operating in packs,  some huge, who come out and grab you in a bear hug whilst trying to pick your pocket.  lots of nigerian and other west african criminals, selling drugs or looking for victims.   

You are talking about the area I have been living in for the last 4 years and I have seen none of that. 

10 hours ago, ta158 said:

and you probably think those are safe areas nice logic,  just because you have been strolling around those areas , often late at night and never had the least problem does not mean it is not a dangerous or not a high crime area....  you know that police recently arrested a gang of youths that attacked and robbed people with an axe around asoke, Sukhumvit Road and Thong Lor.  

Yes actually they are very safe. Lots of police presence and lots of people all hours of the day and night.

15 hours ago, ta158 said:

1. Soi Lat Phrao 101
2. Soi Lat Phrao 107
3. Soi Sukhumvit 105
4. Soi Phaholyothin 52
5. Soi Suphaphong
6. Soi On Nut
7. Soi Chalermprakiat 14
8. Victory Monument
9. Sanam Luang
10. Ramintra Market

dangerous streets

And how do we know that?

17 hours ago, ta158 said:

Asoke and Sukhumvit ( lower sois) are extremely safe relative to certain other parts of Bangkok. To say otherwise is simply incorrect and smacks of being deliberately obtuse.As tourist centres they attract a certain degree of related petty crime but dangerous they are most certainly not.

8 hours ago, alfalfa19 said:

interesting.  and good for you. 

Yes good for me though hardly surprising given the areas are not dangerous. I would be interested to read your personal experience of violent crimes or indeed any official figures detailing just how dangerous Asoke is.

1 hour ago, joecoolfrog said:

Yes good for me though hardly surprising given the areas are not dangerous. I would be interested to read your personal experience of violent crimes or indeed any official figures detailing just how dangerous Asoke is.

Search axe gang bangkok, bangkok post news...

22 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I know why, but I can't say on here. Of course some may just like docks.

I understand exactly what you are getting at and in that respect I agree but best not to elaborate on it

Archived