sending fax's abroad

nong38

I have been trying to send a fax to the UK and it proving somewhat difficult to find a places locally in Nakhon Sawan that can send a fax to the UK. I have been to 4 places that have fax facilities and each one tells me the same thing, that they can only send fax's with Thailand. Is this correct, seems odd if you can provide a fax number and international code.

Any help would be appreciated.

I suspect the say only Thailand because they have no way to know what the cost was for sending it to another country would cost.

You could scan it and send it online. There are a few free fax services.

Several results here on Google. https://www.google.co.th/search?q=online+fax+service&rlz=1C1SQJL_enTH791TH791&oq=online+fax&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.6855j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

The last time I needed one done I scanned it and sent it to a friend by email to do it.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I suspect the say only Thailand because they have no way to know what the cost was for sending it to another country would cost.

You could scan it and send it online. There are a few free fax services.

Several results here on Google. https://www.google.co.th/search?q=online+fax+service&rlz=1C1SQJL_enTH791TH791&oq=online+fax&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.6855j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

The last time I needed one done I scanned it and sent it to a friend by email to do it.

Thanks for the tips and info.

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It is not beyond the wit of man to determine the cost per minute of making calls to a particular country. Then multiply that by a minute per fax page, or even two to be well on the safe side. Either way the real cost to them would be many times less than whatever inflated price they are asking for.

No, the real reason is that the phone lines in these little shops are locked to local calls only. I had the experience myself several years ago.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KittenKong said:

No, the real reason is that the phone lines in these little shops are locked to local calls only. I had the experience myself several years ago.

Correct, landlines here are usually restricted to Thailand use only unless specifically asked to be enabled for International.

12 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Correct, landlines here are usually restricted to Thailand use only unless specifically asked to be enabled for International.

True, and sometimes for good reasons - staff calling friends etc., abroad just to chat etc.

Some years back my bank abroad would only accept documents by fax (never as e-mail attachments). I moved to a new condo, no international fax service but they had arranged for a 4 star hotel very close by to send faxes abroad for the condo residents. The fees were quite reasonable, in reality many times the fax would incur an international call for perhaps just 20 or seconds or even less, the hotel added a service charge but nothing like what they imposed on guests.  

Edited by scorecard

7 minutes ago, scorecard said:

True. Some years back my bank abroad would only accept documents by fax (never as e-mail attachments). I moved to a new condo, no international fax service but they had arranged for a 4 star hotel very close by to send faxes abroad for the condo residents. Not cheap but also not outrageous fees. 

I do my telegraphic transfers with a form scanned and attached to an email. Confirm with the telephone banking system for security purposes.

Banks sometimes need reminding it's your money, not theirs. I've ditched several banks for that reason.

Edited by Lacessit

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

I do my telegraphic transfers with a form scanned and attached to to an email. Confirm with the telephone banking system for security purposes.

Banks sometimes need reminding it's your money, not theirs. I've ditched several banks for that reason.

Years back my bank (in Australia) rated fax as a quite secure method of transmission or at least much more secure than e-mail.

Whether that's still true I don't know, and I guess today there are more options in terms of secure e-mail?

Just now, scorecard said:

Years back my bank (in Australia) rated fax as a quite secure method of transmission or at least much more secure than e-mail.

Whether that's still true I don't know, and I guess today there are more options in terms of secure e-mail?

With today's software and surveillance, I think it's fair to say even faxes can be spied upon. I guess the same is true for emails. Confirmation by other means, such as a code to your mobile ( cell ) or telephone banking, seems to be the trend.

IMHO Thailand actually has the most secure form of banking. Savings passbook, need passport and signatures to withdraw funds. Can't think of any way a scammer can get around that.

57 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Agree with Ubon Joe. Most internet shops will have printers with a scanning facility. Save it in a pdf or other format, then attach to an email.

If the recipient accepts that.

As already written some still believe a FAX to be more safe/authentic.

Fortunately more and more will accept it by email.

BTW I tried to find some pointer for FAX service/shops in Nakhon Sawan with little to no result.

You could try and ask at the best hotels in town whether they would help you for a fee?