My Visa Run

Heres my story.

Living in Thailand for 5 and half years.

Worked as Expat with Non Imm B Visa for 4 and half years. Finished last year.

Decided to try early retirement in Thailand. Bought 2 condos - Bangkok and Cha-am.

Initially did 30 day visa runs after my work permit was cancelled and was given 7 days to leave the country!

Applied for Investment Visa on the basis of the condos.

Was messed around for ages by Suan Plu and Hua HIn until they phoned me on Oct 2nd to say that rules had changed and that there was no investment visas anymore (even though I applied in August!).

Went to Laos and got a 2 month tourist visa in Vientiane. Flew home for Xmas and applied at Thai Consulate in Ireland for Non Imm O for 12 months. Refused cause I am not married to a Thai, I am not over 50, I have no Thai children.

Came back on 7th January on 30 day Visa on Arrival (being my first VOA since October 1st).

Went to Nong Khai yesterday to do another visa run (being the 2nd of my permitted 3) but was told that this was my last one.

I argued the point that I should be entitled to another VOA after this one because I had received a proper visa in Vientiane before.

But he wasnt having any of it. What they told me is that if you are on a tourist visa (either VOA or from Thai embassy) that you are only allowed stay 90 days out of 180.

I explained that I have 2 condos but I cant live in them - how mad is that?!!! He asked if I wanted to sell and maybe he could find a buyer!!! I told him to take a hike!

Anyway, I had already made up my mind to leave Thailand within the next month but this experience has just confirmed my belief that there is a witch-hunt on now!

The message is clear. Give us your money and get out!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good on ya mate!

Ill be doing the same.

Im married, hold a 1 year visa and a work permit, but im just sick of some of the things and changes that happen here. It is actually easier to get PR and citizenship of western countries that poor old third world Thailand.

Good luck to those who are staying and good luck to those who are leaving :o

So is the official line still that proper tourist visas don't count towards the 90 days ?

The tales of people having tourist visas and Visa free entry lumped together seem to be comming from land border posts. Is this just individual officers misinterpreting the rules ?

Heres my story.

Decided to try early retirement in Thailand. Bought 2 condos - Bangkok and Cha-am.

Initially did 30 day visa runs after my work permit was cancelled and was given 7 days to leave the country!

Was messed around for ages by Suan Plu and Hua HIn until they phoned me on Oct 2nd to say that rules had changed and that there was no investment visas anymore (even though I applied in August!).

Went to Laos and got a 2 month tourist visa in Vientiane. Flew home for Xmas and applied at Thai Consulate in Ireland for Non Imm O for 12 months. Refused cause I am not married to a Thai, I am not over 50, I have no Thai children.

Came back on 7th January on 30 day Visa on Arrival (being my first VOA since October 1st).

Went to Nong Khai yesterday to do another visa run (being the 2nd of my permitted 3) but was told that this was my last one.

I argued the point that I should be entitled to another VOA after this one because I had received a proper visa in Vientiane before.

But he wasnt having any of it. What they told me is that if you are on a tourist visa (either VOA or from Thai embassy) that you are only allowed stay 90 days out of 180.

I explained that I have 2 condos but I cant live in them - how mad is that?!!! He asked if I wanted to sell and maybe he could find a buyer!!! I told him to take a hike!

Anyway, I had already made up my mind to leave Thailand within the next month but this experience has just confirmed my belief that there is a witch-hunt on now!

how much will you sell your condos for? do you have a website with pictures?

1. So is the official line still that proper tourist visas don't count towards the 90 days ?

2. The tales of people having tourist visas and Visa free entry lumped together seem to be comming from land border posts. Is this just individual officers misinterpreting the rules ?

1. Yes. The stamp put in the passport of another poster (see this topic) confirms it.

2. Yes. The rule is clear and unambiguous: only days on visa-exempt stays count towards the 90-day limit within 6 months.

--

Maestro

1. So is the official line still that proper tourist visas don't count towards the 90 days ?

2. The tales of people having tourist visas and Visa free entry lumped together seem to be comming from land border posts. Is this just individual officers misinterpreting the rules ?

1. Yes. The stamp put in the passport of another poster (see this topic) confirms it.

2. Yes. The rule is clear and unambiguous: only days on visa-exempt stays count towards the 90-day limit within 6 months.

--

Maestro

thanks for posting that link maestro, i've been on the immigration.go.th website before and could not find this written public information in regards to the 90/180 rule. i see it was signed by the chief of police himself, the same,same one who got sacked today, that's a real confidence builder. can't plan long-term here.

Heres my story.

appleman, here is the wording on the mfa.go.th website "Foreigners who enter the Kingdom under the Tourist Visa Exemption category may re-enter and stay in Thailand for a cumulative duration of stay of not exceeding 90 days within any 6-month period from the date of first entry." i had always assumed time before oct 1st was not counted because so many statements to this effect had been made? people were given 3 exempt entries after this date? i'm solely interested in this because it effects me as well, i'm only two weeks into my tourist visa and i feel like when i go for my extention i will be told i have 30 days to leave. absolutely ridiculous.

Heres my story.

appleman, here is the wording on the mfa.go.th website "Foreigners who enter the Kingdom under the Tourist Visa Exemption category may re-enter and stay in Thailand for a cumulative duration of stay of not exceeding 90 days within any 6-month period from the date of first entry." i had always assumed time before oct 1st was not counted because so many statements to this effect had been made? people were given 3 exempt entries after this date? i'm solely interested in this because it effects me as well, i'm only two weeks into my tourist visa and i feel like when i go for my extention i will be told i have 30 days to leave. absolutely ridiculous.

I'm very confused by all of this. The quote you give is about "Tourist Visa Exemption category" which I understand to mean the 30-day stamp, yet you say you have a tourist visa (i.e. a 60-day visa you bought at an Embassy/Consulate). I thought this rule didn't apply to proper Tourist Visas?

G

Heres my story.

Why did You not get a double entry touist visa.?

I really would not lend much credence to what an Immigration officer says about your next entry, especially if it is in conflict with the current rules. Unless he actually writes something in your passport (which you don't say he did), then it is just him talking at that point.

TH

Refused cause I am not married to a Thai, I am not over 50, I have no Thai children.

Where there's a will, there's a way. You can:

Get married...

Find a girl and then have a kid so you can another reason to stay...

Unless you are gay then...

Keep your apartments, go back to the west, rent them out and then come back when you are 50...

** IF ** you want to stay you can find a way

Many local embassies/consulates (including, it seems Penang) are no longer issuing TVs with more than one entry :o

Thai consulate,Harcourt Street,Dublin.

No problem..anything you want.

Many local embassies/consulates (including, it seems Penang) are no longer issuing TVs with more than one entry :o

Thai consulate,Harcourt Street,Dublin.

No problem..anything you want.

But sinsin - isn't that the very consulate or embassy where the OP was refused a long-term visa? Maybe we're saying that when he was refused that long-term visa, he should have asked for the next best thing, such as a multiple entry tourist visa, or a double-entry, rather than entering the Kingdom on VOA.

Still, the whole story, as presented in the original post, is a dirty shame. An unmarried man under age 50 buys two condos, lives here 5 years, works for most of that time, and now his choices are very limited.

There might be some old farms for sale around Galway......

Refused cause I am not married to a Thai, I am not over 50, I have no Thai children.

Get married...

Keep your apartments, go back to the west, rent them out and then come back when you are 50...

the "written 90/180 rule" may be clear and unambiguous but the way the individual immigration officer choses to apply it doesn't always have to be. this isn't the first account where there was some "deviation". i guess get a non-immigrant or go home and come back when you're 50, do farang monks get special visas? (kidding)

Get married...

You and the others who in the many threads on this matter come up with such nonsense talk about those "options" like they were some kind of minor "trick" or legal paperwork in order to get a visa...

Getting married and/or having childrens are as big a decision as divorcing one's wife and/or abandoning one's childrens. Would you and the others talk as lightly as you do now if in order to be able to stay in Thailand you were forced to divorce your wife and/or abandoning your childrens? (Which is, incidentally, exactly what is going to happen to those not able to come up with 40k per month...)

The fact is and remains that for a young, unmarried, healthy and wealthy man willing to spend an extended period of time in Thailand NOT WORKING (i.e. "TAKING") but SPENDING (i.e. GIVING!) THERE IS NO VISA.

Thais don't want them!

Thais are keeping them out!

This is the simple, undisputable truth.

The why is anybody's guess.

At the moment I'm living in the West (Italy) with my Thai wife and everything is just about perfect and moving back to Asia is just my "Plan B".

The ONLY remaining reason why I am still considering Thailand (where I have lived for an extended period of time) is because I know the lingo, the place and the people very well. It took a huge effort and I am not willing to start it all over again if at all possible.

But it now seems that even if I would still want to choose Thailand (notwithstanding all the very bad news coming of late and the bad changes I have witnessed in the last 5 years) I couldn't spend my time and my money in LOS since I am well under 50 and I would come to Thailand unmarried, with no need (and no will) to work and presumably with no intention of getting married again (and certainly not within the first 3 months...).

As things stand now, I would be undecided between the Philippines and Cambodia with Thailand completely out of the picture...

...and out of my pocketbook.

Edited by BAF

Get married...

You and the others who in the many threads on this matter come up with such nonsense talk about those "options" like they were some kind of minor "trick" or legal paperwork in order to get a visa...

Getting married and/or having childrens are as big a decision as divorcing one's wife and/or abandoning one's childrens. Would you and the others talk as lightly as you do now if in order to be able to stay in Thailand you were forced to divorce your wife and/or abandoning your childrens? (Which is, incidentally, exactly what is going to happen to those not able to come up with 40k per month...)

The fact is and remains that for a young, unmarried, healthy and wealthy man willing to spend an extended period of time in Thailand NOT WORKING (i.e. "TAKING") but SPENDING (i.e. GIVING!) THERE IS NO VISA.

Thais don't want them!

Thais are keeping them out!

This is the simple, undisputable truth.

The why is anybody's guess.

At the moment I'm living in the West (Italy) with my Thai wife and everything is just about perfect and moving back to Asia is just my "Plan B".

The ONLY remaining reason why I am still considering Thailand (where I have lived for an extended period of time) is because I know the lingo, the place and the people very well. It took a huge effort and I am not willing to start it all over again if at all possible.

But it now seems that even if I would still want to choose Thailand (notwithstanding all the very bad news coming of late and the bad changes I have witnessed in the last 5 years) I couldn't spend my time and my money in LOS since I am well under 50 and I would come to Thailand unmarried, with no need (and no will) to work and presumably with no intention of getting married again (and certainly not within the first 3 months...).

As things stand now, I would be undecided between the Philippines and Cambodia with Thailand completely out of the picture...

...and out of my pocketbook.

I'm confused. You married or unmarried?

Philippines and Cambodia...you can have them. Two not very nice places to live, but if you think they are in the same league, then more power to you.

I'm married. As I wrote, moving back to Asia is my Plan B.

Plan A is to live in the West with my wife and to have a "normal" lifestyle.

Plan B would kick in if for whatever reasons I and my wife parted ways.

(BTW, for me having childrens for whom I cared would be, alone, a good enough reason NOT to live in Asia...)

Philippines and Cambodia...you can have them. Two not very nice places to live, but if you think they are in the same league, then more power to you.

Besides the fact that IMO Thailand is rapidly losing all its positives over those 2 places (and the latter do have their positives anyway) as I just wrote: even if I would prefer LOS I CANNOT stay in Thailand since at present THAIS DO NOT WANT young, unmarried, healthy and wealthy men spending time and money in their country.

In case you still haven't got it, the choice is the Thais' not mine. More power to them.

I'm married. As I wrote, moving back to Asia is my Plan B.

Plan A is to live in the West with my wife and to have a "normal" lifestyle.

Plan B would kick in if for whatever reasons I and my wife parted ways.

(BTW, for me having childrens for whom I cared would be, alone, a good enough reason NOT to live in Asia...)

Besides the fact that IMO Thailand is rapidly losing all its positives over those 2 places (and the latter do have their positives anyway) as I just wrote: even if I would prefer LOS I CANNOT stay in Thailand since at present THAIS DO NOT WANT young, unmarried, healthy and wealthy men spending time and money in their country.

In case you still haven't got it, the choice is the Thais' not mine. More power to them.

You still have options. Enroll in university and get a Non Im ED visa or just spend a little money and go to Penang/KL/Khota Baru every 90 days and get a Tourist Visa.

You still have options. Enroll in university and get a Non Im ED visa or just spend a little money and go to Penang/KL/Khota Baru every 90 days and get a Tourist Visa.

First of all, the first option is more costly of the second and still involves visa runs every 3 months.

Secondly, neither of them is a "sure thing".

Now, while I do realize that there are very few "sure things" in Asia, betting the next 20 years of your life on back to back Tourist Visas (this one already seems impossible judging by some of the posts around) or cheated ED Visas is too much for my tastes.

I wouldn't trust them to allow me an uninterrupted stay of 2 consecutive "careless" years on back to back TVs or ED Visas, let alone 20 years!

Would you settle in a foreign country, buy a condo and a car and in general organize your life only to see everything put at stake every 3 months when you must leave the country without knowing if the embassy (with its own policy and its very own interpretation of the "clear" laws) you are going to visit will allow you yet another TV or cheated ED Visa and later the random officer at the boarder (still with his own interpretation of the laws) will stamp you in?

I certainly would not, and will not.

There is a solution for the under 50, not married to a Thai and not legally working in the Kingdom. I believe that covers the gap in the new immigration rules. Buy a boat, very often cheaper than a condo. Sail up to Phuket, get VOA or get a tourist visa (there is a little twist with tourist visa when sailing in, questions are welcome). When out of days in LOS sail down to Malaysia, Singapore, wherever.

Admitably not a solution for everyone but it might suit some. There are plenty of boats for sale in Both Thailand and Malaysia.

First of all, the first option is more costly of the second and still involves visa runs every 3 months.

Now, while I do realize that there are very few "sure things" in Asia, betting the next 20 years of your life on back to back Tourist Visas (this one already seems impossible judging by some of the posts around) or cheated ED Visas is too much for my tastes.

I wouldn't trust them to allow me an uninterrupted stay of 2 consecutive "careless" years on back to back TVs or ED Visas, let alone 20 years!

Would you settle in a foreign country, buy a condo and a car and in general organize your life only to see everything put at stake every 3 months when you must leave the country without knowing if the embassy (with its own policy and its very own interpretation of the "clear" laws) you are going to visit will allow you yet another TV or cheated ED Visa and later the random officer at the boarder (still with his own interpretation of the laws) will stamp you in?

Yeah I agree with you "why would you buy a condo and car in Thailand" ? before you have a real visa situation. Why not rent?

You just have to make it for a few more years until your 50 and can do a Non Imm for retirement. For me anyway I am 45 so have to figure something out for 5 years. Sure if your enrolled in education program the Thai government wants you here. Lots of people have and continue to do this. If you get a non imm ED(multi) and stamp it before its expiration then you can get 15 months out of one Visa. For me if I get a year or so of TV's and another ED and then some more TV's and another ED then I am at 50 and can qualify for the Retirement option.

Try using a hybrid strategy. Start researching a school program you like and be ready if they stop issuing tourist visa's but so far they seem to be fine issuing back to back TV's. Even if you have a Non Imm Visa you still have to stamp out every 90 days(exceptions where you can just check in on some visas). If you go somewhere for a new visa every 90 days its just a little more effort.

But by all means if your not happy here and can't see a way to make it work then move somewhere else. I know in Vietnam you can get a 6 month business visa for around $250 and you don't have to make any border runs. You just need a sponsor and thats pretty easy to get. Its a communist country so you can't buy real estate but why not invest in financial instruments anyway. Just rent and be care free. Check out the mountain town of Dalat which is north east of HCMC. Very nice weather and town and even cheaper than Thailand.

Many other places you might like. Costa Rica, Argentina, Panama, Chile, Brazil, Malaysia will give you residency if you buy a 55K USD home. Lots of choices out there. You could simply try a few countries and come back when your retirement age. You might even find a place you like more.

After almost 20 years of residing in Thailand and having dealt with many many immigration officers you must realise you are dealing with a person who within their feifdom thinks he or she is a GOD.

The only way to deal with this sort of trouble is to say yes sir thank you sir three bags full sir to the officer you are having a problem.  Write down the demons name and number which is listed on his badge.   

Get to Bangkok and be an AMERICAN, git yar self one of Sunbelts evil mean bad and nasty immigration lawyers and then go down and sort him/them out at Suan Plu.  Quote the name and number of the offending immigration officer and explain what was said and that you have had a problem previously becasue of their cancellation of the investment visa category which has left you financially with effectively no plce to stay.  Get your lawyer to ask them what you should do in your present situation based on your massive investment.

My experience is, you will come out on top as the law is very clearly written!

You have invested a large amount of money in this country and you have a right to defend your investment in a legal manner according to law.

Thai Immigration officers at Soi Suan Plu really want to help and acting within their power they can do good things for you.  Be polite and not abusive they don't owe you anything except to give you good service and the truth.  This is where Sunbelts evil mean bad and nasty immigration lawyers come into place as they will talk in the right manner to get the right result.

Oh, one last thing even when it seems that whole things is going to crash and burn a Thai Immigration Lawyer that will cost you maybe 10,000 baht will get you a very good return on your money.

Bad British Banker

Badbanker

Yeah I agree with you "why would you buy a condo and car in Thailand" ? before you have a real visa situation. Why not rent?

You just have to make it for a few more years until your 50 and can do a Non Imm for retirement. For me anyway I am 45 so have to figure something out for 5 years. Sure if your enrolled in education program the Thai government wants you here. Lots of people have and continue to do this. If you get a non imm ED(multi) and stamp it before its expiration then you can get 15 months out of one Visa. For me if I get a year or so of TV's and another ED and then some more TV's and another ED then I am at 50 and can qualify for the Retirement option.

Try using a hybrid strategy. Start researching a school program you like and be ready if they stop issuing tourist visa's but so far they seem to be fine issuing back to back TV's. Even if you have a Non Imm Visa you still have to stamp out every 90 days(exceptions where you can just check in on some visas). If you go somewhere for a new visa every 90 days its just a little more effort.

But by all means if your not happy here and can't see a way to make it work then move somewhere else. I know in Vietnam you can get a 6 month business visa for around $250 and you don't have to make any border runs. You just need a sponsor and thats pretty easy to get. Its a communist country so you can't buy real estate but why not invest in financial instruments anyway. Just rent and be care free. Check out the mountain town of Dalat which is north east of HCMC. Very nice weather and town and even cheaper than Thailand.

Many other places you might like. Costa Rica, Argentina, Panama, Chile, Brazil, Malaysia will give you residency if you buy a 55K USD home. Lots of choices out there. You could simply try a few countries and come back when your retirement age. You might even find a place you like more.

yah...10 hour bus ride from HCMC...I'm told it is very nice...I knew a woman from there, probly the second most beautiful woman that I have ever known...

Thailand is a pain in de arse...there is no immigration policy, just a bunch ob simian jiveass desk clerks makin' up their own rules...I'd say that if ye have a choice go elsewhere...Vietnam is very attractive...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Vietnam is very attractive...[/b]

Been there a couple of times, very short stays, didn't get a good impression from the people (they resemble too much the Chinese :o ). They seemed unfriendly and unpolite but as I say, very short stays.

Worth checking for sure.

agree with you "why would you buy a condo and car in Thailand" ? before you have a real visa situation. Why not rent?

Because if I were to move back I wouldn't want to be living (and to feel) like a camper.

I prefer to live in my own condo where I can do, organize, manage, modify, fix etc as I please, that means that I would live a much more comfortable and pleasant life. The same goes for the car (I like cars).

Why should I force myself to give up all of that for 20 years of my life (the best 20 years of my life)?

It's much better even from an economic point of view, assuming of course the govt won't rob you, in a way or another, of your assets (and that's, admittedly, a big assumption in 3rd world countries like Thailand).

You just have to make it for a few more years until your 50 and can do a Non Imm for retirement.
If I were to put my Plan B into action tomorrow, I would have to "make it" for 20 years... :o
For me anyway I am 45 so have to figure something out for 5 years. Sure if your enrolled in education program the Thai government wants you here.

WHY would they?

Lots of people have and continue to do this. If you get a non imm ED(multi) and stamp it before its expiration then you can get 15 months out of one Visa.
It sounds interesting if a bit complicated (I can all too well imagine the legwork and the paperwork involved just for the uni).

Anyway it still is not a solid base on which to plan 20 years of one's life.

For me if I get a year or so of TV's and another ED and then some more TV's and another ED then I am at 50 and can qualify for the Retirement option.

Assuming it's still there and under the same (or not much worse) terms... :D

It's not the effort, is the precariousness of it all that is discouraging.

Lately there have been nothing but red flags for the exapts in LOS...

Yeah, lots of alternatives around and actually been in most of the places you mention (although mostly for short stays) and many more that you don't but for several reasons I would prefer Asia over LatAm even if Brazil is very tempting (and Italian being my native language I would have a very easy time learning Spanish/Portuguese, and that would be a huge plus...).

agree with you "why would you buy a condo and car in Thailand" ? before you have a real visa situation. Why not rent?

Because if I were to move back I wouldn't want to be living (and to feel) like a camper.

I prefer to live in my own condo where I can do, organize, manage, modify, fix etc as I please, that means that I would live a much more comfortable and pleasant life. The same goes for the car (I like cars).

Why should I force myself to give up all of that for 20 years of my life (the best 20 years of my life)?

It's much better even from an economic point of view, assuming of course the govt won't rob you, in a way or another, of your assets (and that's, admittedly, a big assumption in 3rd world countries like Thailand).

You just have to make it for a few more years until your 50 and can do a Non Imm for retirement.
If I were to put my Plan B into action tomorrow, I would have to "make it" for 20 years... :o
For me anyway I am 45 so have to figure something out for 5 years. Sure if your enrolled in education program the Thai government wants you here.

WHY would they?

Lots of people have and continue to do this. If you get a non imm ED(multi) and stamp it before its expiration then you can get 15 months out of one Visa.
It sounds interesting if a bit complicated (I can all too well imagine the legwork and the paperwork involved just for the uni).

Anyway it still is not a solid base on which to plan 20 years of one's life.

For me if I get a year or so of TV's and another ED and then some more TV's and another ED then I am at 50 and can qualify for the Retirement option.

Assuming it's still there and under the same (or not much worse) terms... :D

It's not the effort, is the precariousness of it all that is discouraging.

Lately there have been nothing but red flags for the exapts in LOS...

Yeah, lots of alternatives around and actually been in most of the places you mention (although mostly for short stays) and many more that you don't but for several reasons I would prefer Asia over LatAm even if Brazil is very tempting (and Italian being my native language I would have a very easy time learning Spanish/Portuguese, and that would be a huge plus...).

Okay now I know your full of it. Your 30 years old and too lazy to go on Tourist visa runs? Give me a break. So what if its not in writing they will keep doing it. What choice do you have? You already supposedly invested in a condo etc. You can't spend 40K baht a year and 4 short trips to Malaysia to get a TV? Yeah right.

The ED visa is not hard at all. Enroll at the school and they give you a letter and you head off to a foreign consulate. If you can get to your home country they give you a multi and if to a SEA consulate they give you a single and you can extend in country. That is too hard or complicated for you? I have done this and its a piece of cake. Are you an invalid?

Lots and lots of people get ED visa's back to back. Ever hear of a university?Massage schools? Language schools? Muay Thai training? Oh it costs to much. Oh bull. If you can scrape together 10K baht for a nonrefundable deposit you can get the visa.

My guess is you don't have a condo or a car and probably not much money. Your just a troll. Get a life BAF

...signed by the chief of police himself, the same,same one who got sacked today...

So the gentleman finally got transferred to another post. There have been rumours in the newspapers that it might happen.

In another topic, I speculated that the 90-day limit on visa-exempt stays within 6 months will not be abolished until the person who signed the rule retires or otherwise vacates his post. Let’s see what happens. With this new development, the affected immigration officials and hopefully also their superiors may feel freer to voice their concerns about the difficulty of implementing the rule.

--

Maestro