Canada using DNA, ancestry websites to investigate migrants

rooster59

Canada using DNA, ancestry websites to investigate migrants

OTTAWA (Reuters) - Canadian immigration officials are using DNA testing and ancestry websites to try to establish the nationality of migrants, the Canada Border Services Agency said on Friday.

CBSA spokesman Jayden Robertson said the agency uses DNA testing to determine identity of "longer-term detainees" when other techniques have been exhausted.

"DNA testing assists the CBSA in determining identity by providing indicators of nationality thereby enabling us to focus further lines of investigation on particular countries," Robertson said in an email.

But the process raises concerns about privacy of data held by ancestry websites, and highlights political pressure over the handling of migrants by Canada's Liberal government. More than 30,000 would-be refugees have crossed the U.S.-Canada border since January 2017, many saying they were fleeing U.S. President Donald Trump’s immigration policies.

A VICE News report on Thursday quoted an immigration lawyer whose client is being investigated by the CBSA using DNA and the ancestry database FamilyTreeDNA.com. In that case, the Canadian authorities were trying to deport a migrant who said he was from Liberia, speculating he was instead from Nigeria based on DNA testing and a linguistics report.

FamilyTreeDNA said in an email that it does not work directly with Canadian law enforcement and has "no knowledge of Canadian law enforcement or its border agency using the FTDNA platform for the purpose of gathering migrant DNA to determine nationality."

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's government has vowed to find alternatives to the indefinite incarceration of noncitizens, who can be held without being charged if they are deemed a flight risk, a danger to the public or if their identity is unclear, according to Canada's regulations.

CBSA's Robertson said the agency obtains consent from clients before submitting their information to DNA websites. Robertson said it was impossible to say how many cases were being investigated using DNA and DNA websites.

"The CBSA does not publically discuss the mechanics of its investigative techniques in a public forum, as doing so could render them ineffective," Robertson said.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-07-28

I love my country. 

Legal immigrants are accepted and prosper. Illegals are sent packing. I am so happy the effort that we make to send back illegals.. Keep the house in order.

Keep up the good work Canada.

We are good stock we are good people and we want to keep it that way sorry for the rest of the  world they that cannot meet our standards and run to us to take care of them.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, lovelomsak said:

I love my country. 

Legal immigrants are accepted and prosper. Illegals are sent packing. I am so happy the effort that we make to send back illegals.. Keep the house in order.

We are good stock we are good people and we want to keep it that way sorry for the rest of the  world they that cannot meet our standards and run to us to take care of them.

Just last week. One woman shot and killed along with a child, lots of wounded, legal muslim immigrant. Young man beaten and had shoes stolen by Somali muslims. Lets not forget the child molester at West Edmonton Mall swimming pool who was let off by a stupid Judge, another muslim immigrant. The problem is not immigrants, the problem is muslim immigrants. Canada was a wonderful country and one of the least dangerous in the world and that all changed with muslim immigrants.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

I love my country. 

Omahr Kadar called...he loves Candahar too KKAA CHING KKAA CHING..10 MILLION TIMES  opps he means Canada...

Edited by mok199
speliings

The problem is the vast majority are economic migrants and they destroy their identification so then they can pick a "better" country to have fled persecution from. Decades ago the Portuguese used to arrive in Canada claiming to be Jehova Witnesses being persecuted in Portugal. Some were caught because they wore a gold crucifix around their necks to immigration interviews. Currently, most French-speaking Africans claim they are from Hati. Migrants are well aware of how to answer questions and appeal to liberal media and other organizations.

Part of the problem as far as I am concerned is the migrants should have to prove their case of who they are and where they are from and how they were persecuted instead of what seems to be the case which is everything they claim is true and Immigration has to prove they are not telling the truth. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

I love my country. 

This is all that Trump was saying and trying to do in the States. The liberals frequently want to adopt everyone regardless of their criminal or terrorist background. Not everybody is a good person that should be granted citizenship on the basis of just showing up.

• Like 1