Phuket set to be transformed and "safer" with Kathu to Patong road tunnel

webfact

In the old days as some here nostalgically remember the good, there also were other real shortcomings!  It was impossible to get anything beyond (expensive) sun cream, or (cheap) a coke/beer, without going to Phuket town. Instant coffee was the norm, made from luke-warm water. Need a saw, Phuket town, need some paint, Phuket town, no real construction materials to chose from...even getting a wall mirror to hang was a big deal.. and so on and on.  There were no international hospitals and very few motorcycles to chose from.  There were no large stores, milk and butter was often spoiled...no outdoor exercise equipment in parks and beaches, very few foreign Restaurants...only white bread to chose from Etc.. Shopping for anything of substance meant going to BKK or Singapore.  There were not retirement Visa's.   10% of the direct flights to Bangkok as of presently -and no direct international flights from Phuket...the list goes on. Funny how humans always remember the good old, without balancing with the real shortcomings of those days.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, thaistocks said:

In the old days as some here nostalgically remember the good, there also were other real shortcomings!  It was impossible to get anything beyond (expensive) sun cream, or (cheap) a coke/beer, without going to Phuket town. Instant coffee was the norm, made from luke-warm water. Need a saw, Phuket town, need some paint, Phuket town, no real construction materials to chose from...even getting a wall mirror to hang was a big deal.. and so on and on.  There were no international hospitals and very few motorcycles to chose from.  There were no large stores, milk and butter was often spoiled...no outdoor exercise equipment in parks and beaches, very few foreign Restaurants...only white bread to chose from Etc.. Shopping for anything of substance meant going to BKK or Singapore.  There were not retirement Visa's.   10% of the direct flights to Bangkok as of presently -and no direct international flights from Phuket...the list goes on. Funny how humans always remember the good old, without balancing with the real shortcomings of those days.

1. The sun cream was actually cheaper then than now. 2.Cheap Coke/ bear and both local adults and children was fit. 3.You could buy Imported Nescafe Gold Blend Decaffeinated (label red) as well as the Standard Nescafe (label Gold brown) at a well know local family shop that time (the shops are still here not the coffee), nowadays you have to get it from Singapore or Malaysia. 4.Phuket towns local work & tool shops had all the tools any house owner could need. 5.Mission Hospital opened its first clinic in 1941and even had foreign doctors that time. Phuket Siriroj International Hospital opened its doors in 1982 and Bangkok Phuket Hospital in 1995. 6. Correct there was no big stores, but who moved to Thailand for finding the milkman on their doorsteps, well that was until Ocean Phuket town opened its doors.  7. There was exercise equipment and some of that equipment are still on the grounds in King Rama IX park when opened in 1987.

8. No retirement visas...??  9. No international Direct flights....no and less #¤"%%&/#......?

Edited by Felt 35
  • Like 1

On 8/1/2018 at 10:58 AM, thaistocks said:

OK, SteelPulse if say say so.  Before Lotus, BIG C and other mega stores started here in year 2002, the same lame ducks made similar comments:  It won't happen, there is no need for it etc..similar with 7/11... Then some 20  years ago similar acclaimed Phuket does not need any great/expensive coffee (and its machines) as "in the tropics nobody drinks hot coffee". Similar with bicycles where 10-15 years ago fewest were around, it was "no good due to it being too hot to bicycle".  Yet now very popular for some time already.  Same with off track jungle hiking...where we were told nobody goes hiking off track here. The detox clinics where the first to rebuff hiking off trail here.  Yet, if you attend an HHH-Phuket, its grown leaps with often hundreds showing up every Saturday  yes to hike, yes in the jungle.

Steady on- packs have never got greater than about 140- hardly 'hundreds'. The beer truck couldn't cope.

...... but I digress.

Edited by Psimbo

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:19 PM, Old Croc said:

Presumably you're now in a part of Thailand where the drivers are smart, altruistic and ever ready to put their hand up to take the blame when things go awry?

Silly me, I always thought the road carnage was a nation wide thing, not just centered on this one Province.

Incidentally if the tunnel is ever dug, it will take heavy vehicles away from the dangerous, hilly, twisting road over the mountain which is the current main entry into the very busy tourist town of Patong. It would certainly make the journey safer.

I'm sure many people who knew you here share your sentiment relating to your departure.

You presume wrong..and I'm certainly aware of the road problems in the rest of the country...

When it comes to bad driving a ten wheeler driver managed to kill one (possibly two) Chinese girls yesterday morning in Kamala and there hasn't been a word about it on the news other than Thaiger.  1 girl dead at the scene in front of Mood mansion/Aussie Pub and the other was in a very bad state.

Flat road, no rain, good light (0730) no excuse. Not sure if it was hit and run or if he stopped though. The 'Kamala Racetrack' has a lot to answer for.

Psimbo is right its closer to 140 at HHH, jungle walks and less presently due to many being absent on holidays.  I meant to write over 100's, not hundreds sorry. My point is this has grown leaps and bounds over the years and its awesome.  I remember there used to be a big import tax on sun screens and coffee lovers are rarely satisfied with instant coffee, gold variety or not.  For years here we had to endure such cups, besides the white toast bred. There are regular Phuket road checks now and many have gotten a huge fine for not passing the alcohol test...vs years ago nobody cared and anything went.  Growth rate of Chinese arriving has dwindled to 0% in July, vs. before was growing at a double digit rate. It is and remains disgusting and a horror on the many road accidents which could easily be prevented.  

In the US for many years the US police there would stop cars and ask to search it...if the driver refused they would call in the dogs which they would claim the "dogs are smelling drugs". (I guess they speak dog language), then if they found cash say above 1000 US$ they would just confiscate this all, at once...often never to be returned, or only years later to the diligent.  Being especially unfair on minorities..hundreds of millions of cash was so just confiscated for no real reason, as reported in key newspapers.   Like the China man which had $10K on him so to go buy some furniture in an auction.  This is off topic, but what it shows is there is horror everywhere, in different forms. 

On 7/31/2018 at 3:15 PM, schlog said:

Only can hope the contract will go to the same company which is digging the Chalong underpass since ages.

Completion of the Patong tunnel will be 2090-2100.

Nope,the phuket guvs 14 yr old son won the bid.??

3 hours ago, Psimbo said:

When it comes to bad driving a ten wheeler driver managed to kill one (possibly two) Chinese girls yesterday morning in Kamala and there hasn't been a word about it on the news other than Thaiger.  1 girl dead at the scene in front of Mood mansion/Aussie Pub and the other was in a very bad state.

Flat road, no rain, good light (0730) no excuse. Not sure if it was hit and run or if he stopped though. The 'Kamala Racetrack' has a lot to answer for.

Cannot find any news clips related to the accident. Wonder why?

• Confused 1

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:26 AM, Old Croc said:
On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:17 AM, thaistocks said:

The month of July saw a large drop off in Chinese tourists, due to boat horror accident.  In time many white bus Chinese tourists will find Phuket just too expensive and go somewhere else.  Cheap charlies' may not pay the tunnel toll, others will be more then happy to so to avoid the death hill road.

OK.

I'm just surprised that arrival figures for July are already available.

Your long range forecasts may or may not come true, I'm hoping you're right.

I've just read about a huge number of cancellations of Chinese tourists because of the drownings.

It seems you were right, well done!

I look forward to a lot less of those buses clogging up the roads for a while.

Unless they bring in Europeans who are experts on this type of work, then it will surely fail. I have seen the standard of workmanship for the so-called underpasses that have no value whatsoever, when they should have been flyovers. 

The solution to get Phuket moving is easy, a Train service that circumvents the whole island, at a reasonable cost for all. Instead the authorities come up with another money-making scheme. 

9 hours ago, Valentine said:

Cannot find any news clips related to the accident. Wonder why?

It never happened (allegedly!)as it's not in the news.

I can't post the links as I have to be signed into FB to show them.

On top of that any of my pics would compromise me and my location.

If I had attended there was little I could have done anyway unfortunately- ten wheeler truck vs scooter does not come out well.

4 hours ago, the guest said:

Unless they bring in Europeans who are experts on this type of work, then it will surely fail. I have seen the standard of workmanship for the so-called underpasses that have no value whatsoever, when they should have been flyovers. 

The solution to get Phuket moving is easy, a Train service that circumvents the whole island, at a reasonable cost for all. Instead the authorities come up with another money-making scheme. 

How would this train circumnavigating the island, circumvent all the hills running down it's spine?  Underpasses?

3 hours ago, Old Croc said:

How would this train circumnavigating the island, circumvent all the hills running down it's spine?  Underpasses?

Circumspectly, your circumlocution should be circumscribed.

6 hours ago, Old Croc said:

This would be a good start.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/details-of-light-rail-tram-system-for-phuket-revealed-46652.php#dV3H9uhcjJ3MXhSG.97

1 hour ago, pegman said:

This would be a good start.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/details-of-light-rail-tram-system-for-phuket-revealed-46652.php#dV3H9uhcjJ3MXhSG.97 

No hills on that route. It mainly follows the main north-south roads and goes no where near the west coast tourist towns.

But thanks for making me aware of it. 

5 hours ago, nkg said:

Circumspectly, your circumlocution should be circumscribed.

Your comments on my circumlocution are just circumstantial, although I will confess to a tendency to be a little circumambages. 

• Haha 1