Pros and cons of visa agents

10 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

I think you are reading the comment above out of context.  Please see my post 162 on the previous page where I said

"I and many others are using agents for totally legitimate reason. 
People discussing using "agents (read illegal facilitators) to provide false documentation regarding non existent 3 months funded bank accounts for extensions etc are condoning and/or taking part in illegal practices."

I totally support Legal agent activities, not the illegal ones.

yet you break the law , so you are supporting illegal activity nonetheless 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, notamember said:

if all people attended themselves rather than use agents, there would be significantly less room for the rest of us

Agents have the paperwork down to a fine art and the Immigration Officials know this.  It means they can handle a number of agency applications in the same time it takes them to do an individual.  Also many individuals have the paperwork wrong and so have to make second or third trips therefore increasing the number of people being attended to.

16 minutes ago, Phuket Man said:

Naam. By the time you go round your house turning off your 14 air conditioners you don't have time to go anywhere. ?

Naam has more money than Trump, it would take him an hour to walk to the door to leave the house

9 minutes ago, notamember said:

slow response scottie, , going to get your passport to find out?

Some of us have more important things to do in life than respond immediately to your imbecile comments.

And on the subject of slow responses where is your answer to post 183.

Edited by scottiejohn

35 minutes ago, Phuket Man said:

Naam. By the time you go round your house turning off your 14 air conditioners you don't have time to go anywhere.

You are silly.

Naam has a remote control for his air-cons. His remote control is called Somchai.

15 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

Maybe the  people you know are lazy BUT In CM I am not prepared to waste 12 or more hours (if I am lucky and don't have to come back the next day) hanging around in a Shopping mall, where the Imm Office is.  It is MY choice to use an Agent Legally. 

Chiang Mai immigration is as renowned for being hard and slow as Jomtien is renowned for being easy and fast.

If I lived in CM it is highly likely that I would pay an agent to do my extension for me also. But as I live just a ten minute walk from Jomtien immigration, and as it takes me less than one hour a year to do the whole extension there, I would not be prepared to pay anything to anyone to avoid that.

• Thanks 1

On 8/5/2018 at 8:11 AM, notamember said:

what happens if you suddenly do not have the money,....

Do you?

1 overstay

2 use an agent

3 Loan sharks

4 go back to home country

5 throw yourself on the mercy of Immigration

6 Kill yourself

Assuming a temporary lack of funds, I would just pay an agent to do it for me.

Assuming a permanent lack of funds I would go somewhere else. I would not fancy living in Thailand if I could not scrape together 800kB easily.

• Like 1

As I posted in another thread not too long ago:

I am reminded of a conversation I had with an expat a year or so ago. He told me he didn't have enough income to qualify for a retirement extension so he lied on the income affidavit form. Later I asked him if he ever used a visa agent. His reply was: No... that is corruption.

Seriously, I use an agent in CM. I go to the agents office around 9 or 10 am and we go through the paperwork. If anything is missing I am instructed to get it done and return. When everything is in order I pay the 3000THB fee and go home. I am told to return at 2 or 3 pm or whatever the designated time is. The agent takes me in to the immigration area and I wait until I am called for a picture and then in a few minutes I walk out the door. Finished.

The 3000THB fee covers only the extension. I supply an income affidavit and all the other paperwork. I do my 90-day by mail and get my own re-entry permits.

When the new Immigration building opens in CM things will probably get easier after all of the new facilities bugs are worked out. CM has had a huge influx of tourists, ed visas and retirees and the like in the last few years. The agents are probably a god send to the Immigration because the Immigration department was swamped with work they could not handle simply because of volume. With any luck the new, and much larger facilities, will improve the service. And maybe the Immigration Dept will hire new help.... maybe they will hire some of the existing agents. But the contempt for the Thai people that so many here on TVF have will probably continue.

• Like 1