Pros and cons of visa agents

7 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Firstly you'd need to understand Immigration don't issue a Retirement Visa. Neither does a Thai Embassy or Consulate for that matter.

Sigh... Can we please all agree this nitpick is overdone now. Only when it is a critical point does it need to be dredged up.

You need proof of address...………..well documented on TV.

You need proof of finances...……….well documented on TV.

Everything else should be in your passport for copying.

You need a professional to understand that!

Not everyone is confident with government paperwork and meetings. Some can benefit from the initial walkthrough. Having reference documents to ensure nothing has been forgotten, knowing the various staging points at the immigration office, possessing the confidence that everything is properly prepared, and having seen the process once already, all can contribute to a better experience when doing it alone.

8 minutes ago, berybert said:

And of course an agent is going to tell you 100% how everything is done properly so you will never need him again.

The agent that I worked with when I did an extension of stay based on retirement (happy Tanoshi?), gave me copies of everything and answered every one of my questions, with the full understanding that I was engaging her only one time. As stated, agents come at every level of scum, and good agents are available.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, vogie said:

There is no such thing as a retirement visa, immigration issues extentions to your visa.

No they don't.

They extend your permission to stay.

You cannot extend a Visa.

The Visa expires on the 'enter before' date.

A 'Retirement Visa' doesn't exist.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

OOPS missed out the Multi entry, thought it said single,  12000baht max.

Basic 1 yr retirement extension plus 90day reports (e-mail reminders etc) plus car ride out to the IM office for the Photo for 1 yr extension all for 7,600Baht.  The longest I have spent at IMM in Promenada in CM with this agency is 11 minutes from stepping out of the car to getting back in.  I am not prepared to waste a full day at the I/O office(s) and then find some I/O wants a copy of something that is mot in the rules.

I liked your last sentence Scottiejohn.?

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, timendres said:

Sigh... Can we please all agree this nitpick is overdone now. Only when it is a critical point does it need to be dredged up.

If you use the correct terminology, there is no need to nit pick.

No misunderstandings or incorrect information.

It's very easy to read what's on a stamp or sticker.

Perhaps if you took more notice of what you are issued, you wouldn't need an agent.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:

If you use the correct terminology, there is no need to nit pick.

No misunderstandings or incorrect information.

It's very easy to read what's on a stamp or sticker.

Perhaps if you took more notice of what you are issued, you wouldn't need an agent.

Yep. And we wouldn't have to waste half a page at times trying to work out what questions some people are asking.

Most have no idea what they have in their passport.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

The key to an easy life in Thailand is knowing what documents you need beforehand, then you don't have to sit around for hours or pay an agent to do a simple task.

But different immigration offices have different rules about different documents, then suppose a new boss takes over and changes things again, I think in time you will see what I mean.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, timendres said:

Not everyone is confident with government paperwork and meetings. Some can benefit from the initial walkthrough. Having reference documents to ensure nothing has been forgotten, knowing the various staging points at the immigration office, possessing the confidence that everything is properly prepared, and having seen the process once already, all can contribute to a better experience when doing it alone.

Please tell me you applied for your own Thai Driving Licence, or did you need an agent to run you through the various stages.

10 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

No they don't.

They extend your permission to stay.

You cannot extend a Visa.

The Visa expires on the 'enter before' date.

A 'Retirement Visa' doesn't exist.

55 minutes ago, vogie said:

There is no such thing as a retirement visa, immigration issues extentions to your visa.

We both said the same thing, you said "A Retirement visa doesn't exist" I said "There is no such thing as a retirement visa". Please agree with me. ?

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

But different immigration offices have different rules about different documents, then suppose a new boss takes over and changes things again, I think in time you will see what I mean.

There are only so many documents one could possibly supply.

If you take a comprehensive list of documents then regardless of what one office may, or may not request, you'll have everything at hand.

Half of the required documents are in your passport.

• Like 1

If you take a comprehensive list of documents then regardless of what one office may, or may not request, you'll have everything at hand.

Yes, you are right, though I was actually referring to different IOs having different rules.

Maybe I went a little bit of topic there. :sorry:

17 minutes ago, vogie said:

We both said the same thing, you said "A Retirement visa doesn't exist" I said "There is no such thing as a retirement visa". Please agree with me. ?

I agree with that part of your sentence vogie, it was this part I disagreed with.

17 minutes ago, vogie said:

immigration issues extentions to your visa.

They issue extensions of permission to stay from the permission to stay period of the original Visa.

Perhaps that's what you meant and I just misinterpreted  your wording.  ☺️

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, vogie said:

I think the people who use agents are the people without cash to use as the reserve of 800,000baht. The agent puts the money in your bank and gets the statement, then removes the cash. Illegal of course.

A sweeping generalization (but we knew that already).

Some people use agents because they are physically challenged or maybe just too busy. I used an agent once because I had an appointment at the passport office in Bangkok (son's passport renewal) on the day my extension was due for renewal in Jomtien and I was leaving the country for work two days later. Now that there are agents that can do (UK) passport AND immigration business on your behalf, it will be even less stressful.

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

A sweeping generalization (but we knew that already).

Some people use agents because they are physically challenged or maybe just too busy. I used an agent once because I had an appointment at the passport office in Bangkok (son's passport renewal) on the day my extension was due for renewal in Jomtien and I was leaving the country for work two days later. Now that there are agents that can do (UK) passport AND immigration business on your behalf, it will be even less stressful.

I agree, but some posters were asking why you would use an agent, I don't know the numbers here in Pattaya that use it for the reason I mentioned, because there won't be any for obvious reasons, but I would imagine not having the money in the bank would be quite high on the list. Of course there are other reasons too.

16 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Yes, you are right, though I was actually referring to different IOs having different rules.

It's not that IO's have different rules, it's what they may request to satisfy you meet the rules.

For example, proof of address;

An IO may want a copy of your wife/landlords Tabien Baan and ID card.

Another may accept a bill with your name and address.

Some may want to see a rental contract.

Obviously if you were married and living in your wife's home it would be pretty stupid for an IO to request a Rental contract, and for chances you did have a rental contract in that situation, it would be time to get divorced.

The rule doesn't change, just the particular proof that IO is looking for.

If you have a rental contract, copy of landlords TB and ID card, plus a bill addressed to you, then there is little more you can supply, unless your a Condo owner and then you can supply the Chanute.

What's I'm saying is, with a little common sense it's not difficult to work out what you could possibly supply depending on your individual circumstances. An extension is never refused for taking to many documents.

• Like 1

The key to an easy life in Thailand is knowing what documents you need beforehand...

And if anyone here claims to know EXACTLY what any IO at ANY immigration office is going to ask for on ANY given day, I want them to give me some lottery picks.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Some people use agents because they are physically challenged or maybe just too busy. I used an agent once because I had an appointment at the passport office in Bangkok (son's passport renewal) on the day my extension was due for renewal in Jomtien and I was leaving the country for work two days later.

You used an agent due to your bad planning.

No need to apply for your extension on the day it was due.

However I get your point.

The difference here being you knew how to apply for your extension.

5 hours ago, hobobo said:

Very true! I know a number of people who publicly say that they are too rich to bother saving 20,000 baht a year. In reality they can't get 800,000 to lock away for three months. Living on state pension from month to month.

Will this be the next crackdown for 'The Big Joke'?

16 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

You used an agent due to your bad planning.

No need to apply for your extension on the day it was due.

However I get your point.

The difference here being you knew how to apply for your extension.

I was waiting for this.

I am sublimely good at planning and typically get paid loadsa wonga by oil companies just because I am so bloody good at it.

My plans were: Week 1 - get boys passport. Week 2 - file extension (early). Week 3 - go back to work.

My "bad planning" was due to an urgent client call out 2 weeks ahead of schedule... which I planned around rather masterfully (again) by using an agent who filed my extension even earlier than planned.

Despite recent appearances, I don't sit at home making ill-advised judgments on other people's planning abilities on the TV forum.

Got that?

Good.

Now, where's those lottery numbers?

Edited by NanLaew

3 hours ago, hitext said:

I love living in Thailand, but I hate dealing with the bureaucracy here. I have better things to do than sit around for hours in the immigration office, only to be sent away again to find some obscure document or other. So for that reason alone, I find using an agent much the better option. 

Speedy Visa in Pattaya have done my renewals for the last five years, and I have always been happy with the return on the additional investment. The renewal is done quickly (together with my multiple entry visa), without fuss, and I never have to set foot in an immigration office. That suits me just fine!

I came to Thailand for an easier life, and working with an efficient agent helps to smooth out the few remaining wrinkles. 

Yesterday I submitted my TM7 with all documentation at the Jomtien IO. Total time: 7 minutes. This morning I collected it and got a multi re-entry permit, time today 18 minutes. Drive from home to IO and back, two days: 40 minutes. I do all my 90 day reports online. So I spend about an hour and 5 minutes a year at the Immigration office for the cost of 5,700 baht, against 25,000 baht charged by most agents (including multiple re-entry).

I too came to Thailand for an easier life, but I don't think that spending what works out less than 6 minutes per month is making my life stressful. But I do have one problem though: what to do with the 20,000 baht I saved in the process?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Playing devil's advocate, an office can occasionally hit you with something totally off the wall. For instance, they may insist on a health check at their chosen hospital for a retirement visa, or may insist on an MFA certification of some document that is usually not required. This may not be common, but using a local agent can avoid aggravation at times. If I lived in Chiang Mai, I expect I would end up using an agent. A 12-hour day starting at 3:00 am is stressful when approaching 70.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I am sublimely good at planning and typically get paid loadsa wonga by oil companies just because I am so bloody good at it.

My plans were: Week 1 - get boys passport. Week 2 - file extension (early). Week 3 - go back to work.

My "bad planning" was due to an urgent client call out 2 weeks ahead of schedule... which I planned around rather masterfully (again) by using an agent who filed my extension even earlier than planned.

And as my granny always used to say;

'If it goes tit's up, blame somebody else'

Yeah, I got it!

6 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Playing devil's advocate, an office can occasionally hit you with something totally off the wall. For instance, they may insist on a health check at their chosen hospital for a retirement visa, or may insist on an MFA certification of some document that is usually not required. This may not be common, but using a local agent can avoid aggravation at times. If I lived in Chiang Mai, I expect I would end up using an agent. A 12-hour day starting at 3:00 am is stressful when approaching 70.

One reason not to live in CM.

And should they suddenly request a medical check out of the blue (seen it happen) just how does an agent help.

Wouldn't you have to attend and take the medical yourself.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

And if anyone here claims to know EXACTLY what any IO at ANY immigration office is going to ask for on ANY given day, I want them to give me some lottery picks.

Bingo!

I recently went to an immigration office to do a simple extension of a tourist visa. I had all the documents all filled in correctly, lots of copies and some extra documents in case of curveballs. I had done the same procedure 6 months earlier and 6 months before that. I felt relatively confident.

Bam, Curveball.

Today, the immigration officer insists the condo staff come down to the Immigration Office (70 km round trip). If I had gone outside to the agents, I could have got it done but I decided to give up and change my plans.

So, the point that NanLaew makes is absolutely correct. You never know what they are going to throw at you on any given day and an agent usually gets around that type of annoyance.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

One reason not to live in CM.

And should they suddenly request a medical check out of the blue (seen it happen) just how does an agent help.

Wouldn't you have to attend and take the medical yourself.

A good local agent will both know the local rules (and when they change) so you can be warned in advance of potential issues. They can also frequently have rules waived that are at the whim of the senior official of the office. An example is when you want to get an extension early because you want to travel for a couple of months around the time of your extension. The senior official has the power to allow this, but will often refuse if you are applying in person (if you even get to speak to that official).

I am not saying that most people should use an agent. I think they are rarely worth the money for most people in most locations. I am just pointing out that agents can be worthwhile for some.