British family stranded in Thailand over son’s passport issues

webfact

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I

that said, I’m not sure he needed to overstay, he could have applied for an extension, or made a quick border run. He now risks being locked up for overstay unless he has special permission to remain.

I don't think that you understand that he has a Thai passport.  Not a passport from Britian.

Oh my, we just ignored the expiration date on the son's Thai passport and now we must pay the price. How unfortunate, but it only take a few days to get a new Thai passport and accommodation while waiting is not expensive. Just another Brit crying again because he failed to take proper care before traveling. Not news, just whining.

• Like 1

Strange I am sure that if he had a Thai ID card he wouldn't have to show a Thai passport to enter the country. and using his Thai passport he would not have any stamp placed in his Thai passport. If it had expired he would only have to wait 24hrs for a new passport. If he had no ID why didn't the family get him one while he on holiday. on a quite day he could have that within a couple of hours!

• Confused 1

I always ask myself, why we still work with a system that is maybe 100 years old. In these days can it not be simpler, that the passport company have an electronic immigration platform, and everyone has a 'Travel card' (maybe connect to your bank account).

you want to go to a country, you fill in the application, together with your card number. You get  a response  if you are allowed to stay or not and for how long.  ( and maybe deduct the fee if visa needed)

You arrive in the airport, put your card in the port, let your fingers and face scan so they know it is you, and you walk through.  you arrive in a hotel, they put your card in the reader, so your card file is updated what countries you have been and where you stay.

"let you make a paper book, pay for it, let it expire after 5 years,  wait with that book in a row for 20 min, when every computer can see immediately if you are allowed or not, for asking a visa first have to travel hundreds of km to an embassy waiting 2 days, waiting embassy, getting a stamp or a sticker.... JUST FOR A HOLIDAY OR OTHER REASON VISIT ..  it could be a lot simpler, cheaper, not frustrating people, an confront them with mostly unfriendly situations ..

Edited by Incobart

6 minutes ago, Incobart said:

I always ask myself, why we still work with a system that is maybe 100 years old. In these days can it not be simpler, that the passport company have an electronic immigration platform, and everyone has a 'Travel card' (maybe connect to your bank account).

you want to go to a country, you fill in the application, together with your card number. You get  a response  if you are allowed to stay or not and for how long.  ( and maybe deduct the fee if visa needed)

You arrive in the airport, put your card in the port, let your fingers and face scan so they know it is you, and you walk true.  you arrive in a hotel, they put your card in the reader, so your card file is updated what countries you have been and where you stay.

"let you make a paper book, pay for it, let it expire after 5 years,  wait with that book in a row for 20 min, when every computer can see immediately if you are allowed or not, for asking a visa first have to travel hundreds of km to an embassy waiting 2 days, waiting embassy, getting a stamp or a sticker.... JUST FOR A HOLIDAY OR OTHER REASON VISIT ..  it could be a lot simpler, cheaper, not frustrating people, an confront them with mostly unfriendly situations ..

Easier still, tattoo a bar code on everyones forehead.

Since they were only staying a few weeks they should have all entered on their British passports

Accepted the 1 month free visa & be done with it.

Only time visiting Thai citizens with dual citizenship should use their Thai passport to enter & exit is when their

stay exceeds that free 30 day visa

Edited by meechai

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Would the UK or any other country let you depart on an expered passport? 

The UK yes these days, multiculturalism.   Human rights,  the racist card, come in --do you want a house---benefit, NHS....welcome.     try to integrate but its ok if you don't.

8 minutes ago, Proboscis said:

I doubt it was immigration who stopped them. I would imagine that no airline would take them back to the UK with an expired passport! Keep up!

More to it than that really. The kid has two passports.

Yes if going on holiday you turn up at the airport in UK with your one and only UK passport that's expired you won't get on the plane, because A. the passport has expired. B. the airline would be responsible for flying you home.

If you are Thai and in UK with an expired Thai passport you will after convincing a Senior Official be allowed to fly 'home' to Thailand as you cannot be refused entry to your own country.

You won't be allowed to leave Thailand until you get a new Thai passport.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Proboscis said:

I doubt it was immigration who stopped them. I would imagine that no airline would take them back to the UK with an expired passport! Keep up!

The airline would see a British passport valid for entry to the UK, expired or not. It was the boy's Thai passport that had expired, which immigration would see when departing Thailand.

2 minutes ago, naboo said:

The airline would see a British passport valid for entry to the UK, expired or not. It was the boy's Thai passport that had expired, which immigration would see when departing Thailand.

A Thai citizen can enter Thailand with an ID card alone.

A UK citizen can enter the UK  with an expired passport.

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Foolish parents. First for not knowing the rules, secondly for not realizing a quick payment was being looked for.

Also the boy can't be fined overstay like it says.

The boy wasn't find for overstay, his father was.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

That said, I’m not sure he needed to overstay, he could have applied for an extension, or made a quick border run.

How would a Thai passport holder, who entered on his Thai passport ever be on overstay or need an extension?

Edit : I notice you have the father in mind, but that wasn't clear from your post.

Edited by janclaes47

Yes family s fault but you can imagine how p***ed off they must be, and Papers got to write a headline to sell

That aside

I dont have dual nationality but i must admit if i had a British passport that was valid and was returning to UK  and exiting on a expired Thai one  i honestly doubt i would give it much thought either!

I am sure the self righteous will flame but in the real world..... 

18 hours ago, mahjongguy said:

Check the calendar and you will see that this disaster at the airport happened on the first day of the 4-day weekend. So it was July 31 at the earliest that they could go to the Thai passport office and learn that they would not renew the passport without a Thai ID. I believe that rule applies to everyone, and it especially makes sense for a passport first issued overseas.  

it doesn't apply to everyone to have a Thai ID to be issued a Thai passport. Thai IDs can only be made for persons over 7 years of age. When we requested the Thai passport for my daughter, she was just 2 weeks old. Birth certificate was enough. For all people over 7 years though, you're correct.

He presumably came in on his Thai passport and as it has expired possibly trying to leave on his Brit passport. There lies the problem: no record of an entry for that Brit and his Thai passport has expired. Personal problem...

• Like 1

As much as I love bashing Thais as it is, more often than not, perfectly justifiable, in this case it is great to see some moron travelling with an expired passport bleating to the media that somehow it is not his fault.  Much like the sign "Drinking on an empty wallet is a danger to your health".

• Thanks 1

read the newspaper article,it seems they left on a uk passport,he enters on a thai passport.you can not leave on a expired passport in thailand.should have renewed when in thailand.ok to enter the uk with a uk passport no problem.no country would let you leave on a expired passport.should have checked now they have problems