Has Your Connection Seemed Slow Lately?

apex2000

I don't know if there are still some problems remaining with the undersea cable near Taiwan, but for the past week or so, my connection to websites has been incredibly bad. I use Firefox and most sites that I go to give me a 'Cannot find server' error. Then, after clicking the 'Try again' button, the website loads. Today I tried to connect to the Soltek website in Taiwan and I could not get in there at all.

What's your experience? I am on a 1Mb TOT connection.

Using True. Actually has been the opposite. Just subscribed to a 2.5mbit connection last week, and it was horrible. Around 100kbit actual international speed, out of 2.5mbit (local was of course OK). Then on monday, it sped up incredibly... international speeds througout the day reached nearly full line speed (although P2P still was bad). I have no idea what happened, but I like the change. Perhaps some heavyweight user in my neighborhood took a vacation?

ํSame for me too. I'm also on a 1Mb TOT goldcyber connection, but since the earthquake there's been endless dropped connections and speed is often only comparable to dial-up. Very frustrating, hope they can get it sorted out soon.

Thailand has got a new software package for controlling traffic: Application and Content Networking System Software 5.3.3 from Cisco.

So Cisco probably installed it and left when it was running just fine. Now, a few weeks later, some Thai engineers (who are not limited by any kind of knowledge) are obviously using the trial-and-error approach on the proxy. Result: Error - The requested URL could not be retrieved

So I guess it's just the same troubles we're used too.

Thailand has got a new software package for controlling traffic: Application and Content Networking System Software 5.3.3 from Cisco.

So Cisco probably installed it and left when it was running just fine. Now, a few weeks later, some Thai engineers (who are not limited by any kind of knowledge) are obviously using the trial-and-error approach on the proxy. Result: Error - The requested URL could not be retrieved

So I guess it's just the same troubles we're used too.

Mine is finally back to pre earthquake levels. TTT Maxnet 1mb but of course I never get anything over 600K but at least its back to what it was before.

Location CM

Not sure if I should tell everybody this, at the moment I am enjoying lightning fast Internet on a 500mb TOT connection. If everybody does what I have done I could get less bandwidth! But here goes:

My connection got terrible. Everything was slow. When tring to download a web page I would get "Server not Found" pressing reload would bring in the page slowly.

Mail was slow, sometimes server not found etc etc

FTP to Europe stopped working completely. Error was Hostname not found.

So as an experiment I went to one of the web sites that does a reverse lookup from the host name to give an IP address. Entered one of the FTP Hostnames that always had the error "Hosname not found", got the IP address and then entered that into the FTP programme. The result was an instant connection! Tried the hostname again, no luck. Tried the IP again, worked pefectly.

This got me thinking that there may be something wrong with the nameserver used by TOT. So I did a lot of looking and found the IP address of another name server located in Europe. I then edited the windows connection screen to use and alternative nameserver instead of the TOT one and remarkably everything started working at a lightning speed!

FTP worked instantly, mail servers always found, No more "Page not found" on Inernet Explorer and my download speeds from Usenet went up from 80kbs to 300kbs. All this from using an alternative nameserver!

I have done a check by disabling the alternative nameserver and everything went back to a crawl! So it looks like TOT's nameserver is either broken or cannot handle all the requests fast enough.

Hope this helps others, but not too many - I need the bandwidth!

Chris

Not sure if I should tell everybody this, at the moment I am enjoying lightning fast Internet on a 500mb TOT connection. If everybody does what I have done I could get less bandwidth! But here goes:

My connection got terrible. Everything was slow. When tring to download a web page I would get "Server not Found" pressing reload would bring in the page slowly.

Mail was slow, sometimes server not found etc etc

FTP to Europe stopped working completely. Error was Hostname not found.

So as an experiment I went to one of the web sites that does a reverse lookup from the host name to give an IP address. Entered one of the FTP Hostnames that always had the error "Hosname not found", got the IP address and then entered that into the FTP programme. The result was an instant connection! Tried the hostname again, no luck. Tried the IP again, worked pefectly.

This got me thinking that there may be something wrong with the nameserver used by TOT. So I did a lot of looking and found the IP address of another name server located in Europe. I then edited the windows connection screen to use and alternative nameserver instead of the TOT one and remarkably everything started working at a lightning speed!

FTP worked instantly, mail servers always found, No more "Page not found" on Inernet Explorer and my download speeds from Usenet went up from 80kbs to 300kbs. All this from using an alternative nameserver!

I have done a check by disabling the alternative nameserver and everything went back to a crawl! So it looks like TOT's nameserver is either broken or cannot handle all the requests fast enough.

Hope this helps others, but not too many - I need the bandwidth!

Chris

Yes 100% Thailands DNS servers are flakey. DNS is the protocol (port 53) that translates a name to a IP address.

I have gotten good results with www.opendns.com which is free and easy to setup.

basically you just put these two servers in your DNS configuration

:D

Has Your Connection Seemed Slow Lately? Yes in the last 2 years its have been slow.. :D

:D Same here, I even have the 4096/512 kbps. True package and never got more than 2395/312 in test, I mean...NEVER :o

:D

Has Your Connection Seemed Slow Lately? Yes in the last 2 years its have been slow.. :D

:D Same here, I even have the 4096/512 kbps. True package and never got more than 2395/312 in test, I mean...NEVER :o

What the initial connection speed in your router is shown?

I'v e 2 different TRUE accounts, 1 with 2560/512 and one with 2048/512. My router shows for both of them 2560/512 which means that my line is open for 2560 kbps down and 512 kbps up. The real speed is 1800 to 2700 kbps down and 350 to 650 kbps up (check with speedtest.net)! Max real download is up to 300 kBytes ps!