SETV - Hong Kong - Friendly or Hostile Depending Who You Talk To

Over the last few years I've had a number of visas from the Hong Kong office and with one exception, it's always been a very welcome, very easy process. 

This time however was a mix of the best and worst I've seen so far. 

Showed up just before they opened at 9:25 with the same documents they've required  the other times: 

Passport

Photocopy of passport and arrival slip

Recent photo on white background

There were more people in line that I've ever seen at this office and and had to wait about 15-20 minutes for my number to be called.   Before I was called I was listening to them tell a Russian couple that they couldn't get a visa because they'd been in Thailand for the last six months  (sounded like they'd been doing visa runs), even though they spent several months in Russia in December-February.  Naturally I was thinking  "Oh jeeze...  Maybe I'll get lucky since I only have 2 Thai visas in my passport and no exempt entries."

My number was called next.  They looked at my stuff and the conversation went like this: 

"Why are you going to Thailand?"     

"I'm going to spend time with friends." 

"Maybe you should get a business visa for your work."   

"I don't work in Thailand to qualify.   I have plenty of money from home and I don't need to work."

"Oh okay..."  *pages through my passport*  "Oh you have some extensions.I can't give you a visa now.  We close at 12:30.  Bring 6 months of bank statements, and a round trip ticket and we'll see what we can do."

I took my passport back, and trekked back across HK to my hotel to print a ridiculous number of pages that ended up costing me HKD  $70. This is the first time they've ever had any interest in bank statements or airfare, in spite of having brought them in all my previous visits.   

Skip ahead a 2-3 hours.   I queue again.  It was still busy and I had to wait another 20ish minutes.  I talked to a different person this time and handed over my passport, 6 months of bank statements, and itinerary.   She takes a passing glance, and hands the tome of documentation they requested in the morning back to me without moving past the first page. 

"Why are you going to Thailand?"

"I'm not going sightseeing or anything. I have a lot of friends in Thailand, and I'm going to be with them."

"You've spent a lot of time in Thailand."

"Yeah...  Like I said, I'm just going to be with friends until I figure out what I want to do next."

"How do you have money?"

"I published some novels back home, and I get royalty payments most months."

"Oh.  Okay.  The cost is $300."

I assume I'll have a visa in my passport when I go back tomorrow.  A bit annoying that they had me burn up half my day rounding up documents that they didn't even want when I went back. 

Based on my experience,  the nicer people seem to work closer to closing time whereas the more demanding ones are around when they open. 

Edited by pjthefey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Update: 

Picked up my passport with a new visa this morning.   Only 1 person ahead of me for pickup, but there were just as many people submitting applications today as there were yesterday.  I'm not sure what's up with that.  Maybe HK is becoming more popular?  The first two times I went to this office there was practically no one there.  This was a couple of years ago. 

I picked my passport up around 11:30 and noticed that more of the friendly people were working the desk for submissions.   Not sure if this is their schedule every day, or if this just happened to be the case on the days I went to this consulate. 

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, sussex said:

Hi, a question regarding requests for bank statements when applying for SETV: presumably this doesn't have to be a Thai bank account as that would imply you are living here rather than a tourist? Thanks 

It can be a bank account anywhere, possibly with the caveat that the funds must be available for use (i.e. some kinds of investment account, for instance, might not qualify).

Yeah, so I just returned from HKG.

This is the fourth SETV in this passport, prior one from EU, 2 from Phnom Pehn.

All extended, but in and outs with reentry permits. However, total stay amounting to 6 months out of 8.

Exits were random and not stretched to the limit.

That woman spent a few good minutes analyzing all the dates. Every single entry stamp.

She did not comment anything eventually, and she took the passport.

She was moaning to an Asian dude before me about a white background pic. He had a rather less brighter white background pic I believe,  because I heard him say: "Is this not white?" White as in crystal white she wanted. Luckily I had a not so white one one and a crystal white background one. She chose the latter. Go figure.

Two counters were open, one with a Thai guy I remember from last time that appears more reasonable and one with this woman.

I think it's the same one that I have read some negative feedback about on the Thai Visa Advice Facebook group.

Not as good of a vibe as before, although my passport really indicates travelling, it was under silent scrutiny.

Other than that, HKG cool as usual, had an extended 6 night trip ????

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, sussex said:

Hi, a question regarding requests for bank statements when applying for SETV: presumably this doesn't have to be a Thai bank account as that would imply you are living here rather than a tourist? Thanks 

Different people have given me answers.   The person that I talked to last time I went was more than happy with USA bank statements.   The time before that I was told by the person people warn about "We don't have any way to verify this. I'll give you a visa this time only, but next time go to your home country so they can verify your documents."

Sounds like just making things up as they go.  I don't believe that in any first world country's banks will just say "You're not law enforcement?  No problem. Sure, here's all the financial records for a third party individual."

Edited by pjthefey

3 hours ago, pjthefey said:

Different people have given me answers.   The person that I talked to last time I went was more than happy with USA bank statements.   The time before that I was told by the person people warn about "We don't have any way to verify this. I'll give you a visa this time only, but next time go to your home country so they can verify your documents."

Sounds like just making things up as they go.  I don't believe that in any first world country's banks will just say "You're not law enforcement?  No problem. Sure, here's all the financial records for a third party individual."

Firstly I will add that I was not required for any bank statement at this stage of visa history.

Secondly, a Thai bank statement in my opinion can be interpreted the other way around also.

For example, mine clearly indicates overseas incoming transfers. So not working in Thailand but spending overseas money.

I opened the account in 2011 when requirements were also less stringent.

I do not see an issue with a regular tourist to open an account for convenience purposes and to avoid foreign atm withdrawal fees and so on.

I also have one in HK as a tourist, for purposes of a better banking jurisdiction. I don't see the issue.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1