Revolut Card In Restaurants And Hotels

JonBreadMan

Coming over for a few month again soon to Pattaya, and looking at a Revolut Card as a back up

Exchange rate looks OK, bit better than Transferwise but need to pay a small fee upfront for the card (£5)

But when used to buy something (not ATM)  how many take the card, and when they do, do any then add a % on top, I know a few hotels over the years have wanted to add 2% even for debit cards not sure about restaurants.

Thanks

The revolut card is a Mastercard or a Visa (you can have both - I've got the regular MC and and was sent an additional Visa for revolut premium, IIRC), so there shouldn't be any problems, as far as the hotel or restaurant accepts the respective card.

I've used mine to pay for hotels in BKK as well as for groceries in Big C and Fuji Super - no issues whatsoever.

[edit] And the surcharge is an individual issue - some hotels do it, some don't.

Edited by shadowofacloud

You are welcome.

Personally, I swear by revolut, but bear in mind that they will add an additional fee for weekend withdrawals (due to low liquidity of THB) - 1,5% if I am not mistaken. Also worth considering the premium version, as it has higher withdrawal limits and a travel insurance included. Caveat emptor, however, as the premium contract is for 12 months.

Talk about timing..

I joined Revolut a few weeks back, with a £10 deposit, but they wanted about £5 for a card, so was thinking about it and was in no rush before I fly to Thailand

Anyway just got a email, and they are now sending me the card for free.

So anyone else not after the premium, just order it a few weeks before and wait to save your self £5, not a lot, but it might help.

Cheers

I use it now for a year in different countries and it is working great. I used it Thailand in my last holiday for paying in Lotus, Restaurants and even getting cash from an ATM. Worked everywhere.

What I really like is the multi-currency option. You can not only use it to change in realtime but you can choose the timing of the exchange. So I changed EUR to 5000 THB in the app last stay before the weekend. Your card does then have 2 balances. One for your first currency (GBP, EUR, USD) and another one for THB. All bookings made in THB which are small enough to be paid from your THB balance will be deducted from that balance. That way you get a superb conversion rate even at the weekend. And no need to take piles of cash from home.

I have used it successfully in Germany, Netherlands and Thailand.

I have used Revolut in the US and EU extensively and for that it is fine.

However, dont be misled into thinking that the rate they apply in Thailand is very good. It isnt.

They apply a 1.5% weighting at all times in Thailand, and they apply another global 1.5% fee at the weekend, making 3% in total if you happen to use it at the weekend in Thailand. This is not very good value. My new Natwest credit card carries no weighting in Thailand, or anywhere else, at any time. So guess which card I will be using in the future for purchases?