Advice sought on best small hatchbacks/cars

Toolong

Hello there,

My old Hi-lander pick-up, like me, has only limited mileage in it left.

As importantly, it drinks diesel like I drink beer, which is a lot.

I need to buy new wheels. 

If the choice of new vehicle was up to me based on me being the sole driver, then things would be simple....

But I may not be the sole driver anymore  as my wife may drive it too. Just brief but crucial note here: she's got a license to drive but passed the test only a few years ago, at the age of 59! Before that, only motorcycles. She is NOT a born driver (if you know what I mean).........when I have given her driving lessons in the past in our manual pick-up, this has been, still is, very evident. To the point where I have tactfully stalled the process of buying a vehicle that she could drive. For her own sake, bless her.

(Note: we live in an area of uncommonly dangerous roads & lethal u-turns.)

Yes, manual gears can be tricky to learn so with automatic she might be able to take to the road more easily and safely.

I'll get to the point. Any new vehicle that we buy to share the use of, must be SMALL, in my view....again, for her sake. I have driven the odd small (length-wise & width) automatic hatchback in the past and am convinced that this kind of vehicle would be her (our) safest bet. Easy to park, manouevre, feel-at-ease in,etc. 

So my query: which one? My own preference was for a Honda Jazz but was told at Honda that they are not making them anymore (I prefer to buy new, not 2nd hand, and anyway for some reason my wife isn't keen on them!).

Toyota Yaris hatchback is a contender but local showroom - big, sprawling place - had, inexplicably, every model going except Yaris's. Not even brochures! Up-to-date 2023-model info & reviews in ENGLISH on youtube not easy to find. 

Honda City hatchbacks seem ok, but a tad bigger (longer) than the Yaris, while the Yaris hatchback is, AFAIK, longer still than the Mazda 2 hatchback.

(So, size-wise, the Mazda 2 is definitely a contender, plus - unlike the Yaris or City - doesn't have CVT transmission, which I think is a good thing, as I'm no fan of slippy clutches & draggy 'pick-up' down the line. You may disagree about CVT and are welcome to do so.)

For reasons based on her own prejudices (what friends have told her?), my wife is reluctant to consider Mitsubishi or Nissan. (Shame, as that Nissan March I drove once a few years ago was great fun!)

Forgive my rambling....????....but I wondered what this forum's members might have to say about this. And any female members & drivers with opinions, views are very welcome.

Why are you convinced ‘small’ is safest ????

You mention there are many U-turns in the ‘more dangerous’ region you live in....  IF an on coming vehicle is going to plow into me, I’d want to be in something with more ‘crumple zone’ around me like a Volvo-XC90 !!!...  (of course, thats expensive here).... So, Fortuna then... 

Most decent car’s have reversing cameras etc... so they may actually be easier than something tiny which gives a feeling but may not actually be a better option. 

Have you considered Mazda ?... something like a CX-30 ?...  or even a Mazda-2 if you really want something small. 

If I was looking for a small hatch now - Mazda 2 or 3 would be on the top of my list.   

I do not rate quality of Mitsubishi or Nissan - so agree with your wife there.

Yaris is a bit tinny - and like you, I am no fan of CVT. We had a Honda HRV and the transmission was not impressive!

I find Suzukis & MGs uninspiring and cheap feeling!  

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

What ???... not an Accord or a Camry ???  ????

Mazda-3...   IMO, best small car around.

Yeah its a case of what y'all like if I was going for a little car the reason I like it because I've driven one and I was very impressed.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I tried all of the smaller cars/hatchbacks before I settled on the Suzuki Swift, which I have had now for over 10 years, and I've been delighted with it – – good roadholding and good feel to it, comfortable to sit in even for long drives/journeys and I really couldn't complain about anything on it, and not only that I found that the service folk were superb when it came to the checkups and suchlike.

I was quite taken with the little Nissan March, but then again the OP says that his wife is not keen on a Nissan.

What clinched it for me was the fact that I took every one of the smaller cars for a test drive, and whereas none of them actually "jumped out at me" with regards to the purchase of it, I only went a couple of hundred yards in the Suzuki Swift and realised it was the car I wanted.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I tried all of the smaller cars/hatchbacks before I settled on the Suzuki Swift, which I have had now for over 10 years, and I've been delighted with it – – good roadholding and good feel to it, comfortable to sit in even for long drives/journeys and I really couldn't complain about anything on it, and not only that I found that the service folk were superb when it came to the checkups and suchlike.

I was quite taken with the little Nissan March, but then again the OP says that his wife is not keen on a Nissan.

What clinched it for me was the fact that I took every one of the smaller cars for a test drive, and whereas none of them actually "jumped out at me" with regards to the purchase of it, I only went a couple of hundred yards in the Suzuki Swift and realised it was the car I wanted.

You couldn't of driven maybe a later Mazda 3 then far superior.

3 minutes ago, transam said:

We have it's younger brother, the Suzuki Celerio, now 8 years old, has CVT with no problems, cost peanuts to run and at around 400,000bht is one of the cheapest rides out there.

Small big car, 5 doors the 4 side doors are the same size as my Vigo, it has the headroom of the Vigo too.......A/C is good, power steering is good, and it stops good too. Even has seat belts for 5...????

Actually I had my first ride in one of those the other day when I took the Swift in for a service and one of the service guys gave me a lift to the hospital to fulfil an appointment I had, and I was most impressed with it.

And funny that you should mention the aircon, because it was probably better than my Swift, so when the time comes for a change I will have a look at that little car and see how it fits.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, xylophone said:

Actually I had my first ride in one of those the other day when I took the Swift in for a service and one of the service guys gave me a lift to the hospital to fulfil an appointment I had, and I was most impressed with it.

And funny that you should mention the aircon, because it was probably better than my Swift, so when the time comes for a change I will have a look at that little car and see how it fits.

Yep, it's amazingly quiet too, just drifts along, but if you floor it in sports mode, it really fly's, bit of a delay, but makes me think how bad our small cars of yesteryear really were.

It has a 3 pot 998cc engine, 68 hp. which is more than the loveable 4 pot 998cc Mini Cooper of yesteryear, about the same as the 1071 Mini Cooper S..... ????

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, xylophone said:
32 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

You couldn't of driven maybe a later Mazda 3 then far superior.

Don't know if it was available in 2012, but did try the Mazda 2 and wasn't impressed.

I know what you mean.... I had a Ford Fiesta 30 years ago..... Awful thing, never considered a Ford Fiesta since !!! :whistling:   

????????????????

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think we need context.....      

You say a 998cc 68hp 3pot car really flys ???.....  yet your user name Transam... I’m thinking V8 muscle car...   So I’m now confused about your idea of ‘what really fly’s’... 

Unless of course your name actually is... ‘Sam' and your handle is nothing to with cars !!! ????

Have you ever driven a 998cc Morris 1000 ?, yes the 998cc Celerio fly's..????..

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, transam said:

My 857cc Ford Fiesta really flew.....   down a very steep bank and then ‘really flew’....   no injuries on landing but the car was irreparable.

Celero 0-100kmh speed is 15 second...   so somewhat pedestrian....  but 150kmh top speed ????....  I’d sh!t kittens !

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, transam said:

I do like the idea of a fast small car though.... I was really taken with the Yaris GT... 

But alas....   its $100,000 in Thailand....  

OP... Did you mention any budget ???

https://www.one2car.com/en/for-sale/toyota-yaris-gr-bangkok-metropolitan-liab-duan-ram-inthra-kasetnawamin/11204083

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

My 857cc Ford Fiesta really flew.....   down a very steep bank and then ‘really flew’....   no injuries on landing but the car was irreparable.

Celero 0-100kmh speed is 15 second...   so somewhat pedestrian....  but 150kmh top speed ????....  I’d sh!t kittens !

But I have 15x7j's wiv 195x50x15 boots, bit of a difference in the handling department......:stoner:

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Why are you convinced ‘small’ is safest ????

You mention there are many U-turns in the ‘more dangerous’ region you live in....  IF an on coming vehicle is going to plow into me, I’d want to be in something with more ‘crumple zone’ around me like a Volvo-XC90 !!!...  (of course, thats expensive here).... So, Fortuna then... 

Most decent car’s have reversing cameras etc... so they may actually be easier than something tiny which gives a feeling but may not actually be a better option. 

Have you considered Mazda ?... something like a CX-30 ?...  or even a Mazda-2 if you really want something small. 

Yes, you're right to highlight how small cars can be much less safer in terms of collision damage, both to the car but more importantly the occupants! I quite agree and have considered that. 

However, weighing up the matter as best I can, and have done, it is something I reluctantly choose to compromise on in favour of smaller size. For better or worse. ????

????

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Mazda 3.

For me....oh yes!!! ????

But tad too long, with - believe - visibilty issues with front chassis columns around windscreen + rear  window.......but I could be wrong.

But if the case....ok for me, but not my wife. ????

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Where is the 90mph coming from.?