Screen legend Robert Redford is retiring from acting

webfact

Screen legend Robert Redford is retiring from acting

Reuters Staff

redford.jpg

FILE PHOTO: Actor Robert Redford poses during a red carpet to receive a Golden Lion award for lifetime achievement at the 74th Venice Film Festival in Venice, Italy, September 1, 2017. REUTERS/Alessandro Bianchi/File Photo

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Oscar winner Robert Redford will retire from acting following this autumn’s release of his upcoming film “The Old Man & The Gun,” the 81-year-old told Entertainment Weekly in a story published on Monday.

Redford, best known for films such as “Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid” and “Out of Africa,” plays a seasoned bank robber in the new movie, which is scheduled to debut in theaters in September.

“Never say never, but I pretty well concluded that this would be it for me in terms of acting, and (I’ll) move toward retirement after this ‘cause I’ve been doing it since I was 21,” Redford told the magazine.

“I thought, well, that’s enough. And why not go out with something that’s very upbeat and positive?” he added.

In the film, Redford plays Forrest Tucker, a real-life career criminal who was caught robbing banks 17 times. Each time he was jailed but managed to escape.

“To me, that was a wonderful character to play at this point in my life,” Redford said of Tucker, whose robberies spanned more than 60 years.

“It made me wonder: I wonder if he was not averse to getting caught so he that could enjoy the real thrill of his life, which is to escape?”

Redford got his big screen breakthrough in 1967 with a role in “Barefoot in the Park” opposite Jane Fonda, and he cemented his stardom with roles in classic movies such as “The Sting” and “All The President’s Men.”

In 1980, he won an Academy Award for his directorial debut, “Ordinary People” and in 2002 he received a Lifetime Achievement Oscar.

As for whether he will also retire from directing, Redford said: “We’ll see about that.”

(Reporting by Lisa Richwine; Editing by Marguerita Choy)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-08-07

Redford is an incredible talent. His recent film Our souls at night was lovely. Touching, sincere, and heartfelt. His work had a sincerity about it, and never felt phony, contrived or mainstream. Truth, A walk in the woods, All is lost, Lions for lambs, An unfinished life, the Horse whisperer, Indecent proposal, A river runs through it, Sneakers, Out of Africa, the Natural, Brubaker, Butch Cassidy, The Sting, the Candidate, and so many more. And he is a major talent as a director, having directed outstanding movies such as The legend of Bagger Vance, The Horse Whisperer, Lions for lambs, Quiz show, A river runs, The Milagro beanfield wars, and Ordinary people, which he won oscars for, for best picture, best director, and best screenplay that he wrote. 

Perhaps what is most remarkable about his life, are his vision and his efforts as a very committed environmentalist and a crusader for the cause of conservation of the American west. He had the vision to buy thousands of acres in Utah, at a time when most were not paying attention. He then turned it into the Sundance Institute, which has probably done more to promote independent American film, than any other organization in history. In addition he created the Sundance Mountain ski resort. He is a man of grace and elegance. An amazing visionary. An amazing talent. And an amazing man.   

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1