Millions of followers - farang in North Thailand a massive hit with the Thais

webfact

20 hours ago, Farang Muang Phrae said:

You're correct, I was not born here; have only been here since I was 2 years old.  None-the-less I meet the qualifications for citizenship and should at least be given a fair chance.  

If you came here at 24 months, you were already a fully grown toddler and should have thought a bit more about the rules.

Just kidding obviously - best of luck with the ongoing citizenship application, can't think of a more deserving case.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, jenny2017 said:
On 8/7/2018 at 1:10 PM, rumak said:

why does everyone have to be a Mate or a Dude ?     does that make the point any stronger ??

Note:   please spare me your temptations to answer    mates and dudes

Do your buddies know that? 

I'm telling you BRO,   I am so lucky to have so many kindred spirits here ::  mates and dudes and buddies

and some names i can not repeat  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Big Guns said:

If you have a Thai wife the salary requirement is 40,000 Baht per month. I have had Thai citizenship for 11 months now I applied via having a Thai wife route. Thai citizenship isn't impossible if you meet the requirements.

Congratulations, by the way!  I wish I had your good fortune.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Farang Muang Phrae said:

Thank you for your interest and for bringing up this particular question.  First of all,  I sincerely feel every bit as patriotic as any other Thai person out there; and that is what defines me as Thai.  Secondly, I feel a great sense of social responsibility to the local villagers that I provide work for (I run a hammock business).   Thirdly, I believe that eventually I will be granted my Thai citizenship.  And fourthly, I do feel extremely welcomed here in Thailand and I sincerely believe that the Thai people love me as well.

But, yes, I do live under constant pressure of the VISA and Work Permit issue.  Thanks again for your interest.   

I admire your confidence but have you ever been to a Western country? The Thai people do not run Thailand a non-elected army does.

• Sad 1

Some people just don't get it. Every country has rules. Regarding migration - Thailand is not open for migration, and that's by choice. They want to keep Thailand as a thai nation the way they like it. Some countries like the USA, Australia, new Zealand - they want migrants. Some European countries although might not encourage it, are still more open towards it. But look what happens in those countries. All the demographic changes, cultural changes. Not all for the good. There are countries that won't allow any foreigner at all to get citizenship (as far as I know one can never get a Japanese citizenship unless they are born to a Japanese national). In Thailand it is possible to become a citizen, but one has to qualify by the not so easy (yet not impossible) regulations. It's not racist, it's not cold hearted. It's the way Thailand makes sure it will remain Thailand

Japan is extremely racist but many foreigners get citizenship there. This man from America was denied entry to hot springs in Japan in the 1990s, (even as a naturalized Japanese citizen), eventually and won court cases.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debito_Arudou

I recently read of an American Black (not married to Japanese) who became a citizen. He released a movie recently or something. Can’t find the link so Here is a NY times article about some University professor, citizen of Japan 16 years, also a Black man.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2018/04/13/world/asia/japan-african-university-president-sacko.amp.html

I saw white Korean on TV in Incheon. He had naturalized there after working for some years.

As far as I know there is no way to become a citizen of China (PRC) unless you are born to Chinese parents.

On 8/7/2018 at 3:11 PM, observer90210 said:

Funny....in many western nations, a person gets the nationality if having stayed long in the country as a child or plainly by marriage after 5 years....this is a biased and unfair treatment to this gentleman. With full respect to the country, Thailand really needs to change it's over protective nationalist immigration policies on many issues.

Not true in the USA. That's what the controversy about DACA is all about.

On August 8, 2018 at 6:48 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Seems like a nice fella !
Hope he resolves his citizenship issues.

Really don’t understand the negative posts towards him................jealousy maybe emoji848.png

does he come across as normal to you?

to my eye this guy has a dull look in his eye and has a happy diddy manner. similar to a "country bumpkin". he has an overly jovial dumbed manner.

imagine this guy speaking like that at an in person citizenship interview. im debating whether he could even fill out a written application.

perhaps its the heat, hard labor or some other excuse. could be any language, something is just off about the guy.

• Confused 2

On 8/7/2018 at 7:49 AM, AdamTheFarang said:

Denied citizenship = Racist = Get your family out and live in America, better education, better medical care, better salary, better choice of climate, better language English the international language (for your child) compared to Thai which is a tiny language in comparison, better human rights, better Policing, better law enforcement in court, better morals........not sure if I made my point but Better = USA! 

Why don't you answer if you have ever been to a Western country? I will take that as a no but then your love for Thailand has no comparison. 

• Confused 1

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:22 AM, Big Guns said:

If you have a Thai wife the salary requirement is 40,000 Baht per month. I have had Thai citizenship for 11 months now I applied via having a Thai wife route. Thai citizenship isn't impossible if you meet the requirements.

Can you say the requirements they accepted from you to first get your PR?

@Farang Muang Phrae

Salutations, and thank you for your participation on this thread. I have complete respect for your mastery of Thai. I am curious if you would be kind enough to describe what environment you were in during the development of your speech cadence and delivery. The reason I ask is that if I closed my eyes while listening to you, your speech pattern and rhythm seems to be more like what I would expect from an older Thai person, perhaps even going so far as to say an older Thai person who liked a nip of lao khao every now and then :biggrin:. As you are much younger, I'm curious about the language learning environment you were in during your formative years. Were you around or cared for by many older people during your childhood or later in life? I am also interested in asking whether you consciously alter your speaking style in order to make it more of a novelty on social media, or if this is your everyday speaking style. Asked with sincere interest and respect.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

@Farang Muang Phrae

Salutations, and thank you for your participation on this thread. I have complete respect for your mastery of Thai. I am curious if you would be kind enough to describe what environment you were in during the development of your speech cadence and delivery. The reason I ask is that if I closed my eyes while listening to you, your speech pattern and rhythm seems to be more like what I would expect from an older Thai person, perhaps even going so far as to say an older Thai person who liked a nip of lao khao every now and then :biggrin:. As you are much younger, I'm curious about the language learning environment you were in during your formative years. Were you around or cared for by many older people during your childhood or later in life? I am also interested in asking whether you consciously alter your speaking style in order to make it more of a novelty on social media, or if this is your everyday speaking style. Asked with sincere interest and respect.

"I have complete respect for your mastery of Thai" he went to Thailand when he was 2 so head a bit of a head start on most of us!

• Haha 1

I deleted my post because I see you do have a work permit. I give you some serious props, that is awesome. 

Forgive me for not reading the entire thread, but does the govt compell you to report or see you youtube revenue sheets? Or how does all that work? This youtuber in thailand situation seems like it needs to get ironed out on a larger scale. 

Edited by utalkin2me

On 8/9/2018 at 5:24 AM, Farang Muang Phrae said:

Thank you for your interest and for bringing up this particular question.  First of all,  I sincerely feel every bit as patriotic as any other Thai person out there; and that is what defines me as Thai.  Secondly, I feel a great sense of social responsibility to the local villagers that I provide work for (I run a hammock business).   Thirdly, I believe that eventually I will be granted my Thai citizenship.  And fourthly, I do feel extremely welcomed here in Thailand and I sincerely believe that the Thai people love me as well.

But, yes, I do live under constant pressure of the VISA and Work Permit issue.  Thanks again for your interest.   

Thanks for your posts here. It is really refreshing to see someone who has been so successful here and is obviously genuinley doing something they love.

Can you link or pm me a way to grab a hammock from you? 

• Like 1

On 8/7/2018 at 7:02 AM, Farang Muang Phrae said:

Thank you for your interest.  I can assure you I meet ALL the requirements. It would be the greatest honor of my life to become a citizen of this great country.  

OOOOH! The Actual Farang has entered the forum! 555

Well -Would I ever enjoy the chance to sit down with a bottle of sangsom and pick your brain!

I'm from the states too, heading back in a few days and have spent over 6 yrs in CM but the way it is so

touristy its how I'm basically treated daily, as have a thai friend who I think comes from your town- Phrae

Didnt watch your vid but am super curious about living in more of a local village setting.

Do you have Usa citizenship?  Been there?  Or been in Thai since you arrived as a youngster?

Any other farang in town you hang out with, or prefer thais?

Any secrets as being a "outsider" on the "inside" of thai culture?

What the BEST part of thailand?  The Worst in your exps?

Whats the best way to learn the language?

Do you feel you are treated as a THAI or Farang?  If Thai-is it because you live there--are married- or speak thai?

Whats the best advice on dealing with "Thainess" and assimilating to the Culture?

You dont have to answer any--just curious as a fellow USA farang trying to figure out this place...

I'd love to take a Bus up there and hang out and continue my questions!  

PS As a poster noted you got the Ryan Reynolds thing going on, so I'm sure that helps...OOH So Hansum!! ? 555

32 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

Perhaps soon to star in his own Thai Version of "Deadpool"....?    How dare that farang kill a Thai Banana Tree!!!!!

This is a JOKE before anyone reports me or the Moderators rain down on me, as has happened in previous posts..

Jai yen yen.......please refer to Ryan Reynolds movie biography for help if you dont get the context of the joke. ?

On 8/7/2018 at 11:07 PM, cmsally said:

I think that you should reapply, it seems somewhat easier at present. I applied last year and although various things just had to be in order, the fact that I had been here for the majority of the last 30yrs seemed to make it a foregone conclusion with the interview committee. Now its all down in BKK, so just waiting to see what happens there.

You seem like someone who may be able to answer this dealio with work permits and the possibility of mine.

I actually got a WP, which took me a YEAR to obtain to cook for a company in CM...needless to say it was a challenge, but when I left the company I kept my WP, where as i had heard it was supposed to be returned, but after working so hard to get this near impossible permit I kept it as somewhat of a trophy. With that in mind and this "news" of being able to work in LOS-Cm for those that have one (ME). Only issue I could think of is that is is expired (8 years!). Is it possible to simply "reactivate" it and maybe find some kind of work to get some income and keep busy here? Tnx ?

My fear being going into an office and they revoke it and say I should have returned this long ago and its useless.

12 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

This is a JOKE before anyone reports me or the Moderators rain down on me, as has happened in previous posts..

Jai yen yen.......please refer to Ryan Reynolds movie biography for help if you dont get the context of the joke. ?

I think you're ok, most people know the movie franchise. 

12 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

My fear being going into an office and they revoke it and say I should have returned this long ago and its useless.

It's certainly useless now, I think it needs to be cancelled within seven days of employment being terminated. You need to post this question in the visa forum, where you'll find a high level of expertise. 

On 8/7/2018 at 8:51 AM, webfact said:

In the latest video he is making a joke about going to see a doctor and cutting down a banana tree over an issue with ghosts.

The joke plays on the Thai penchant to make a correlation between physical ailments and the supernatural.

I may be mistaken about this, but my translation of what he's saying at the end is that he is making a second word pun about the similarity between gluay pii (กล้วยผี)/banana flower and pii (พี่) older person (who accompanied him into the banana grove.) Having cut down the banana tree, he unsuccessfully looks around for its banana flower only to discover that in the mean time his companion has also disappeared (i.e., returned home).

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

It's certainly useless now, I think it needs to be cancelled within seven days of employment being terminated. You need to post this question in the visa forum, where you'll find a high level of expertise. 

So it couldnt just be restamped for a new job?  Seems wasteful as it was such a pain to get it to begin with... ?