Retiring in Thailand - What's needed

1 hour ago, statman78 said:

I mentioned the police report since it was listed as required document for a non-imm visa from the Chicago consulate.  Extra money is already in our budget for the unexpected.  My wife and I moved to Thailand in 2014 since I was transferred there for work.  Unfortunately I was transferred back to the US and my wife stayed there.  Based on the last 4 years I realize living in Thailand is not as cheap as everyone thinks but is still cheaper than living in the US

yes, the police report and medical thingy are needed if you get the O visa in the USA before going to Thailand.  That is one reason some people recommend doing the process from Thailand.  My palm beach florida local police did a report for me way back in 2008, and it was simple and easy.  I didn't bother with the medical since at the last minute I stopped the process since a lucrative money contract popped up and I stayed in the states, and just took some vacations in Thailand the next years

7 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Your US marriage certificate would first have to be 'authenticated' in the US. 

That will not be needed he can do a affidavit to self certify his marriage certificate that the Amphoe will accept that will need to translated to Thai along with the marriage certificate. See: https://th.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/90/family-affidavit.pdf

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

That will not be needed he can do a affidavit to self certify his marriage certificate that the Amphoe will accept that will need to translated to Thai along with the marriage certificate. See: https://th.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/90/family-affidavit.pdf

Thanks, yes another option for the OP if he wants to register his foreign marriage at his Amphoe.

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

yes, the police report and medical thingy are needed if you get the O visa in the USA before going to Thailand.  That is one reason some people recommend doing the process from Thailand.

Incorrect. 

The Police report (criminal record check) and medical are only required for the O-A Visa, not for the O Visa.

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you actually have a extension of stay based upon retirement it will be the same as the last one. The only difference is that if using the 800k baht option it will need to be in the bank for 3 months instead of 60 days for the first one.

I want to convert my marriage extension to a retirement extension of stay end november. I assume I need to have 800k baht in bank 3 months before as well. Put the 800k in a fixed account should not be a problem if I'm right.

Thanks.

1 minute ago, rutteketuut said:

I want to convert my marriage extension to a retirement extension of stay end november. I assume I need to have 800k baht in bank 3 months before as well. Put the 800k in a fixed account should not be a problem if I'm right.

Thanks.

Correct. It may be your first retirement extension, but not your first extension, so the 3 month rule will apply.

13 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you actually have a extension of stay based upon retirement it will be the same as the last one. The only difference is that if using the 800k baht option it will need to be in the bank for 3 months instead of 60 days for the first one.

OK thanks.. The first time I obtained the 'income affidavit' from the US Embassy. I plan on doing that once again so I assume I'll need to get it stamped at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs ( i think that was the place).

Thanks again

9 minutes ago, bobonzo said:

OK thanks.. The first time I obtained the 'income affidavit' from the US Embassy. I plan on doing that once again so I assume I'll need to get it stamped at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs ( i think that was the place).

I am only aware of 3 or 4 offices that want the signature on the affidavit to be verified by the  Consular Affairs Department of the MFA.

Which office will you be using?

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I am only aware of 3 or 4 offices that want the signature on the affidavit to be verified by the  Consular Affairs Department of the MFA.

Which office will you be using?

Samutprakran. They required the stamp last time.

5 minutes ago, bobonzo said:

Samutprakran. They required the stamp last time.

I don't recall any recent report of them wanting the verification done. I suggest you check with them to find out if it is still required.