Retiring in Thailand - What's needed

Within the next month I will be entering Thailand on a tourist visa with the intention of staying there based on retirement.  Over the past year or more I have been reading many postings here on ThaiVisa but I still would like some clarification.  It is my understanding that I need to apply for a non-immigrant-O visa after I arrive then apply for an extension of stay based on retirement.  I will be staying with my Thai wife at our home in Chiang Rai.  I should be able to apply for the non-immigrant visa at a local immigration office near Chiang Rai, correct?  What documentation is needed?  If I would apply for the visa in the US I would need documentation showing:

1. proof of retirement

2. bank statement but I assume that this would not be needed if I have 800,000 baht in a Thai bank for at least 2 months

3. a copy of my criminal record from my local police department in the US

4. a certificate of health

Since I will be applying for the visa in Thailand, which of the above documents will I need?  Is there anything else I will need?

According to their website, if I apply for this visa in the US (Thai consulate in Chicago) I would need to have all 4 of the documents listed above "certified by a Notary Public and certify true signature of the notary public by the Secretary of State".  I would hope that it would be less complicated entering Thailand on a tourist visa then getting the non-immigrant visa.  

I look forward to your comments.

Persons more knowledgeable than me will surely answer soon, but I think you cannot apply for a visa from within Thailand, only from abroad. But yes you should be able to apply for extension of stay based on retirement. Assuming you are over 50, which you didn't specify.

there is a little less and easy to get paperwork if you do the O visa in Thailand instead of the USA.  There are ways to get more than one year if you do the USA route first, and you can do the funds proof in the USA, etc.  There is a thread with the list comparing doing it both ways somewhere here.  One extra trip or two to immigration I think is needed if you do the conversion over in Thailand instead of starting in the USA.  So it comes down to a matter of preference which way one wants to do it.

Edited by gk10002000
update

I copied this off some thread a while ago.

my friend is an 'agent' here in bangkok.  but it will cost 30,000thb or more going through him.  i can provide his contact info via private message if you need it.  while he is my friend, etc...  i decided to do it myself and save the money.  once you enter thailand visa exempt or via tourist visa, you go to chaeng wattana immigration's 'change visa' desk.  on your first visit, you apply for the non imm O (long stay visa).  they tell you to come back in two weeks which is when they'll let you know if you've been approved and place the visa stamp in your passport.  it is only good for 90 days.  during the last 30 days of that 90, you go back to immigration to request the one year extension.  getting the 90 day non imm O takes very little time.  it took less than 15 minutes for each of the visits.  but it took several hours to obtain the one year extension (i arrived around 9am and wasn't done until almost 3pm). 

i'd been spending 8 months a year in thailand and it wasn't very convenient for me to get all the stuff required to get the O-A in the USA as i didn't really have a home base.  no car, no doctor, traveling from place to place so no address for the consulate to send stuff back to me, etc..   others, who still had a 'life' in USA have said getting the O-A was very easy.  and you keep your money in the USA.

• Like 1

It is really uplifting to read posts like OP, where you "nail it" with correct terms in respect of VISAS and extensions.

Await Ubonjoes reply, he knows all about this, but YES you can converse this tourist-VISA you get in USA inside Thailand, to a Non O, but only if your endgoal is an extension of stay...

So well done and good luck..

glegolo

Edited by glegolo

You do not need a medical or police certificate.

Yes you can do it in Thailand.

It would be easier if you could obtain a Non Imm O Visa before arrival but not a problem if you cannot.

Don't waste money on agents as it is very easy to do yourself.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, statman78 said:

I will be staying with my Thai wife at our home in Chiang Rai. 

Instead of getting a tourist visa you could get a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage to a Thai. They are easy to get at most embassies and consulates.

Then you could apply for a one year extension during the last 30 day of the 90 day entry from the visa based upon retirement or marriage (400k baht in the bank for 2 months).

4 hours ago, statman78 said:

1. proof of retirement

2. bank statement but I assume that this would not be needed if I have 800,000 baht in a Thai bank for at least 2 months

3. a copy of my criminal record from my local police department in the US

4. a certificate of health

1, 3, and 4 are not needed.

2. Correct.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arithai12 said:

Persons more knowledgeable than me will surely answer soon, but I think you cannot apply for a visa from within Thailand, only from abroad. 

You are wrong. A non immigrant visa can be applied for at immigration if you qualify for certain extensions of stay such as this case where he qualifies for retirement or marriage to a Thai.

@statman78

You've obviously been checking the Chicago website and come across this;

VII. Retirement in Thailand (O-A visa), the applicant must be at least 50 years old and must submit documents as follows :

• documentation showing proof of retirement
  • bank statement or monthly/year income.
  • a copy of the applicant’s criminal record from the local police department
  • a certificate of health.
*These documents must be certified by a Notary Public and certify true signature of the notary public by the Secretary of State.

Because you are married to a Thai, you can apply for a single entry 90 day Non Imm O Visa (as UJ stated), then apply directly for the extension at your local Immigration office within the last 30 days of permission to stay from that Visa. You should be reading this;

VI. Visiting family

• To visit as a spouse of a Thai national
    • a valid and effective marriage certificate (original)
    • a certified copy of the Thai national's passport/ I.D. card of the spouse.
    • a certified letter from the Thai spouse stating that he or she is still married to the applicant.
    • Fianc้s or fianc้es are not included in this category
  • To visit as a relative of a Thai national
    • documents proving such relationship.

'Certified' in this context means copies of your wife's documents must be signed by her.

Alternatively if you enter with a TV, you have to go through a conversion process at local Immigration, which is more time consuming and more expensive. Details of the conversion procedure can be found here;

https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

You'd initially file a TM86 to convert your TV into a Non Imm O (read the conditions carefully), then within the last 30 days of the Non Imm O, you'd apply for the extension on a TM7. Advise which route you prefer and we can advise on documentation required.

Edited by Tanoshi

statman78,

do you already have a thai bank account ?  it can be easier to open a bank account with a non immigrant O visa than with a tourist visa. 

the verbage in post #4 is from one of my previous posts.  i entered visa exempt and went to the 'change visa' desk at the immigration office in bangkok.  i already had a bank account with the necessary funds.  changing to a non O was very easy and didn't take much time at all.  i went to the bank one day to get a letter stating what funds were on deposit.  the next day i went to immigration to apply.  then went back about two weeks later to get the non imm O stamp.

i'm not sure what the immigration office is like in chiang rai, in bangkok they have a special desk for 'change visa' and there is not much activity at that desk (unlike other desks where you can wait hours).  if the CR office is something like buriram (where i've done extensions to tourist visas), all the work is done at the same desk.  doesn't matter if you are extending a tourist visa, applying for another year of stay based on retirement, changing your visa, etc...  it may take longer in an office like that than it did in bangkok.

maybe someone living in chiang rai can provide some insight on the situation at the office there.

Edited by buick

I’m sure people have covered it, but since I did this in March, I will just post my route.

first I got Single entry Tourist visa from U.K. , this does not require too much info - money in bank, proof of job. 

To get retirement extension, you MUST first change this Tourist visa to Non Immigrant O visa at immigration . ( you could, as stated before, change a 30 day entry stamp as well.) This will require proof of aggress, certificate of residence .

the Non Immigrant O is valid for 90 days. After 60 days you can apply for an extension to 12 months for retirement. 

Fir this, you need proof of address in Thailand ( even if you own condo you need a letter from condo office confirming you actually live there ) you need proof of 800,000  baht in a bank account for three months( might be only two for initial extension ) or  proof of annual income up to that amount or a mixture of the two. Take two copies of EVERY piece of proof with you, along with two copies of passport, arrival card and two photos of yourself. 

Having obtained my Non Immigrant O visa, getting retirement extension was easy, took paperwork to immigration, all checked etc , pay 1900bht, return next day to pick up stamped passport. 

If you are an American, you will probably also need a statement of yearly income which must be signed in front of an official at the US Embassy in Bangkok.  My last one cost $50.  Maybe it's not needed for applicants who have 800,000 Baht in the bank before they apply.  The 800,000 must all be there and untouched for two months before you can apply for the 90-day Non-O.  It's good to get your papers in order and show up at immigration NLT 15 days before your period of stay expires.  Ubonjoe is the expert on all of this and can verify whether the embassy-notarized affidavit is needed if you have the cash in the bank.  I've always used retirement income.

I came to Thailand on the Retirement Visa (yes I am aware of the correct terminology) applied for and issued through the Chicago Royal Thai Consulate. Paperwork you mentioned was complied with. Now on the annual extensions for 7 years. As a host for newcomers at the Chiang Mai Expats, I can assure you it is easier to get your Visa once here in Thailand. Speaking to an American here in Chiang Mai who has been going through the Chiang Mai Immigration Office himself, he assures me it is simple enough. I have used the annual affidavit issued by the American Consulate in Chiang Mai (serves all N. Thailand). The requirement is to have the 800K in a Thai bank as you stated OR a monthly income of 65K per month (thus my Consul affidavit attesting to this) OR an combination of the two. 

Edited by wwest5829

6 minutes ago, DogNo1 said:

My last one cost $50.  Maybe it's not needed for applicants who have 800,000 Baht in the bank before they apply.  The 800,000 must all be there and untouched for two months before you can apply for the 90-day Non-O.

It is 800k baht in the bank on the day you a apply for a non immigrant visa (there is no 60 day requirement) or 65k baht income or a combination the 2 totaling 800k baht.

The the 800k baht only has to be in the bank for 60 days to apply for the first extension of stay application.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, arithai12 said:

but I think you cannot apply for a visa from within Thailand,

He wants to convert to a Non-imm O visa entry. It can be done (depending on the office you use) in anticipation of applying for an extension of stay based on retirement.

You actually end up with a permission to stay based on a fictional non-imm O entry. You won't have a visa that you could use to enter the country.

In order to apply for an extension of stay based on retirement you need to have a Non-imm O entry, not a tourist entry or visa exempt entry so this accomplishes that.

Probably easier to start out with a non-imm O (or O-A) visa in the first place, but personal circumstances differ.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Thanks to all who replied.  For several years or more I have been reading about different topics here in ThaiVisa so I had a pretty good idea on what is needed but now these replies really help.  From previous discussions it sounds like a retirement extension is a little easier than extension of stay based on marriage.  There a couple of Americans in our subdivision  in Chiang Rai who also recommend a retirement extension.  I am retired and I am over 50.  I worked in Thailand several years ago so I already have a bank account and I am currently in the process of linking my US bank account to my Bangkok Bank account through the New York branch.  I'll have the 800,000 baht in the account before I arrive in Thailand.  I then just need to make sure it has been there at least 2 months.

Again, Thanks to everyone for your help.

10 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

@statman78

You've obviously been checking the Chicago website and come across this;

VII. Retirement in Thailand (O-A visa), the applicant must be at least 50 years old and must submit documents as follows :

• documentation showing proof of retirement
  • bank statement or monthly/year income.
  • a copy of the applicant’s criminal record from the local police department
  • a certificate of health.
*These documents must be certified by a Notary Public and certify true signature of the notary public by the Secretary of State.

Because you are married to a Thai, you can apply for a single entry 90 day Non Imm O Visa (as UJ stated), then apply directly for the extension at your local Immigration office within the last 30 days of permission to stay from that Visa. You should be reading this;

VI. Visiting family

• To visit as a spouse of a Thai national
    • a valid and effective marriage certificate (original)
    • a certified copy of the Thai national's passport/ I.D. card of the spouse.
    • a certified letter from the Thai spouse stating that he or she is still married to the applicant.
    • Fianc้s or fianc้es are not included in this category
  • To visit as a relative of a Thai national
    • documents proving such relationship.

'Certified' in this context means copies of your wife's documents must be signed by her.

Alternatively if you enter with a TV, you have to go through a conversion process at local Immigration, which is more time consuming and more expensive. Details of the conversion procedure can be found here;

https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

You'd initially file a TM86 to convert your TV into a Non Imm O (read the conditions carefully), then within the last 30 days of the Non Imm O, you'd apply for the extension on a TM7. Advise which route you prefer and we can advise on documentation required.

Tanoshi,

Thanks for the link.  Very good information.  I'm not sure if I can get the Non-Imm O Visa based on marriage.  We were married in  the US and have not registered our marriage in Thailand.

12 hours ago, glegolo said:

It is really uplifting to read posts like OP, where you "nail it" with correct terms in respect of VISAS and extensions.

Await Ubonjoes reply, he knows all about this, but YES you can converse this tourist-VISA you get in USA inside Thailand, to a Non O, but only if your endgoal is an extension of stay...

So well done and good luck..

glegolo

Hi glegolo,

I spent 40 years working in the Quality field so I always try to understand what I am talking about and to get things correct.

Thanks for the encouragement!

5 minutes ago, statman78 said:

Thanks to all who replied.  For several years or more I have been reading about different topics here in ThaiVisa so I had a pretty good idea on what is needed but now these replies really help.  From previous discussions it sounds like a retirement extension is a little easier than extension of stay based on marriage.  There a couple of Americans in our subdivision  in Chiang Rai who also recommend a retirement extension.  I am retired and I am over 50.  I worked in Thailand several years ago so I already have a bank account and I am currently in the process of linking my US bank account to my Bangkok Bank account through the New York branch.  I'll have the 800,000 baht in the account before I arrive in Thailand.  I then just need to make sure it has been there at least 2 months.

Again, Thanks to everyone for your help.

Over the years I've done the extensions both ways, marriage to a Thai woman, and retirement (my current status) and retirement is definitely the better way to go, unless one is short of money and needs the cheaper 400,000Bt option. But if you have the 800K then go retirement. For one thing your wife is out of it, she doesn't need to go to immigration and be interviewed and have a huge report made, and then having photos of the pair of you, and having officials come round and asking your neighbors if you're truly-ruley living together and all that... Furthermore when I last did an extension through marriage, some years ago, I thought the immigration questions were damn insulting. They asked how how much the farang was paying her each month, and similar demeaning questions. Far better to keep your Thai wife right out of the picture.

• Like 1

Interesting the OP should refer to a criminal record in his first post. However, that's for the Thai authorities to decide, and none of my business.

I would suggest the OP should also review his finances and budget. Thailand can come up with unexpected expenses.

In 2015 I obtained a 1 year Non-Imm O-A visa through the Los Angeles Thai Consulate. Total cost was $389 US. $200 was the Thai Immigration fee for the visa.  I lived in the city so I dropped off the passport and paperwork and picked my passport up the following day. I thought this was a bargain as I didn't have to do anything except 90 day reports and exit and return before the use by date for almost 2 years. The first year was multiple entry the second portion was not. So I got just short of 2 years stay in the kingdom for $389.

Doing this I had to get a background check and a medical certificate but I think the convenience was worth it. Everybody has a different situation. What works for some may not work for others.

Here is my report on how I did it myself without an agent sucessfully. I am a USA citizen and used an embassy affidavit to prove my income.

I hope it helps

Edited by likerdup1

I need to renew my 'retirement' visa for the first time in late November. Do I need to supply all the same paperwork/documents that I did the first time I submitted ? Will the procedure be identical to what I did the first time ?

Thanks

I applied the Non-Imm- O visa for my husband at the Royal Thai Consulate General in Los Angeles in June. It took less than 6 hours to get the visa. Now he has his Non-Imm-O ready, I plan to have him extend or change the visa status once we arrive in Chiang Rai. I've learned from the posts that Chiang Rai Immigration is courteous, so I'll find out very soon. Thanks Ubonjoe and many others for the valuable info. 

What I used for the application are:

- A copy of marriage license

- His US passport

- A letter (from me) stating that we have been living together still and I would support him in any and every way in Thailand.

- My Thai ID, Thai passport, Thai housebook showing my address in Thailand

- $ 80.- app. fees

Amazingly fast and easy.

Edited by MadameM

1 hour ago, bobonzo said:

I need to renew my 'retirement' visa for the first time in late November. Do I need to supply all the same paperwork/documents that I did the first time I submitted ? Will the procedure be identical to what I did the first time ?

Thanks

If you actually have a extension of stay based upon retirement it will be the same as the last one. The only difference is that if using the 800k baht option it will need to be in the bank for 3 months instead of 60 days for the first one.

3 hours ago, statman78 said:

Tanoshi,

Thanks for the link.  Very good information.  I'm not sure if I can get the Non-Imm O Visa based on marriage.  We were married in  the US and have not registered our marriage in Thailand.

I know you've done some previous research, but your getting your wires crossed.

Your applying in Chicago, USA.

You were married in the USA.

The requirement is for 'a valid and original marriage certificate'.

There is no requirement you must have married in Thailand and have a Thai marriage certificate.

You may be confusing it with other information you read about registering a foreign marriage in Thailand, such as;

If you wanted to apply for an extension based on marriage from your local Immigration office, then your US marriage would have to be registered at your local Amphoe. Your US marriage certificate would first have to be 'authenticated' in the US. Once in Thailand your marriage certificate can be translated into Thai, then the translation and marriage certificate 'legalised' by the Consular section of the MFA.

Your US marriage can then be registered at your local Amphoe.

For marriage extensions Immigration require a form from your Amphoe, know as a Kor Ror 2, (if married in Thailand), or a Kor Ror 22, (for a foreign marriage registered in Thailand).

6 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

As a host for newcomers at the Chiang Mai Expats, I can assure you it is easier to get your Visa once here in Thailand.

I disagree. Your not taking the persons marital status into consideration.

The OP is married to a Thai and can obtain the SE Non Imm O Visa from the Thai Consulate quite easily with no financial proof. ($80).

After 'seasoning' his funds in a Thai bank for 60 days he can apply for an extension.(1,900 baht)

Retirement extensions are normally issued same day, within the hour.

Taking the other route and entering on a VEE or TV he would have to apply for the Non O at Immigration (2,000 baht)

He has to prove the funds came from abroad and his application would be subject to approval.

Usually within 14 days, the Non O approved he has to return to the IO for the stamp.

Within the last 30 days of Non Imm O he's making a third trip to his IO to apply for the extension. (1,900 baht)

Now if the OP was over 50 and single, he wouldn't be eligible for the Non Imm O, only the Non Imm O-A Visa ($200) + the cost of a medical and a Criminal record check. In that situation, then I'd agree with your sentiments.

Enter on a VEE, then do the conversion process, Non Imm O > Extension (3,800 baht)

Re -entry permit optional.

10 hours ago, TSF said:

Over the years I've done the extensions both ways, marriage to a Thai woman, and retirement (my current status) and retirement is definitely the better way to go, unless one is short of money and needs the cheaper 400,000Bt option. But if you have the 800K then go retirement. For one thing your wife is out of it, she doesn't need to go to immigration and be interviewed and have a huge report made, and then having photos of the pair of you, and having officials come round and asking your neighbors if you're truly-ruley living together and all that... Furthermore when I last did an extension through marriage, some years ago, I thought the immigration questions were damn insulting. They asked how how much the farang was paying her each month, and similar demeaning questions. Far better to keep your Thai wife right out of the picture.

Thanks for the confirmation about the extension based on retirement.  Next week I'll be transferring the 800,000 baht into my Thai bank account so it can start "aging"

10 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Interesting the OP should refer to a criminal record in his first post. However, that's for the Thai authorities to decide, and none of my business.

I would suggest the OP should also review his finances and budget. Thailand can come up with unexpected expenses.

I mentioned the police report since it was listed as required document for a non-imm visa from the Chicago consulate.  Extra money is already in our budget for the unexpected.  My wife and I moved to Thailand in 2014 since I was transferred there for work.  Unfortunately I was transferred back to the US and my wife stayed there.  Based on the last 4 years I realize living in Thailand is not as cheap as everyone thinks but is still cheaper than living in the US

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

I know you've done some previous research, but your getting your wires crossed.

Your applying in Chicago, USA.

You were married in the USA.

The requirement is for 'a valid and original marriage certificate'.

There is no requirement you must have married in Thailand and have a Thai marriage certificate.

You may be confusing it with other information you read about registering a foreign marriage in Thailand, such as;

If you wanted to apply for an extension based on marriage from your local Immigration office, then your US marriage would have to be registered at your local Amphoe. Your US marriage certificate would first have to be 'authenticated' in the US. Once in Thailand your marriage certificate can be translated into Thai, then the translation and marriage certificate 'legalised' by the Consular section of the MFA.

Your US marriage can then be registered at your local Amphoe.

For marriage extensions Immigration require a form from your Amphoe, know as a Kor Ror 2, (if married in Thailand), or a Kor Ror 22, (for a foreign marriage registered in Thailand).

Tanoshi,

Thanks for the clarification