Massive job loss seen if Thailand doesn’t upgrade education – EEC advisor

Rimmer

4 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

The Mainstream Education system is not the only system that needs a radical overhaul in order to drag Thailand into the 21st Century.

Sure, the Schools and Vocational Colleges, along with the Universities have to really up there game, but also so do the vast majority of Companies, who are running profit only operations with little or no staff training

Agree.  Work permits should only be for transferring knowledge. It seems apparent that English teachers are not improving the knowledge or understanding of the students as witnessed by the multitude of posts on this forum. A real joke in effect. Get rid of these charlatans and allow foreign engineers to teach and develop.  I don't care where they come from

Then Thailand will advance. 

On 8/11/2018 at 10:18 AM, Horace said:

The Thai Minister of Education gave a talk to AMCHAM about a month ago, and one of the points he raised made a great of sense.  In summary:

When you look at the very top students in different countries, their scores on standardized tests really don't vary much country to country.  You start to see the major differences when you go a bit lower.  Starting around, say, the 80th or 70th percentile you start to see a major divergence between Thailand and other certain other countries (e.g., Singapore, Korea) in Asia.  As you go lower, the divergence gets bigger.  The take-away? The "average" worker in Thailand is much less educated and much less skilled than the average worker in many other countries.  The elites are fine, but the average worker - the people that do most of the work in factories and offices (by definition) - in Thailand lag far behind the average workers in many other SE Asia countries.  And the gap is getting worse.

A theory.

In the 'west' we have two distinct seasons, summer and winter. Since we started walking upright it became part of our make up to plan for the winter, store food etc. Planning ahead is just part of us and as a bonus it encourages experimentation and innovation with an eye to the future.

Some countries have a reasonably constant climate with hot and hot/wet being the only small difference. No need to plan for the future as it's a case of everything being the basically the same all year every year so why worry about it.

• Like 1

My theory is that the Students in Thailand are like many of their peers - Lazy.

Before the Financial crash,  many people seemed to be hard working, inventive,and ingenious.

When the financial crash hit the Western World the economies of those Countries went to hell in a hand cart, and vast amounts of money were moved out of those Economies and into Countries like Thailand.

This allowed those Countries such as Thailand to prosper, and in doing so the money that many people " earned " was easy money, where little effort was required to make a good living.

This of coarse was a almost generation ago, and things have now changed, and to gain a good living, effort and skills are required.

The youth of today in Thailand have seen that their peers never seemed to work hard, but still had money. So why cant they do the same ?, and this ultimately gives the impression to the Youth that money is so easy to come by, so why even bother to make any plans for the future.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Before the Financial crash,  many people seemed to be hard working, inventive,and ingenious.

When the financial crash hit the Western World the economies of those Countries went to hell in a hand cart, and vast amounts of money were moved out of those Economies and into Countries like Thailand.

This allowed those Countries such as Thailand to prosper, and in doing so the money that many people " earned " was easy money, where little effort was required to make a good living.

This of coarse was a almost generation ago, and things have now changed, and to gain a good living, effort and skills are required.

The youth of today in Thailand have seen that their peers never seemed to work hard, but still had money. So why cant they do the same ?, and this ultimately gives the impression to the Youth that money is so easy to come by, so why even bother to make any plans for the future.

I agree 90%

The other 10% is that people are sick of working to make others rich.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cake Monster said:

Throw in the fact that the best degree you can get is the best  one your parents can afford.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/10/2018 at 12:29 PM, Rimmer said:

Massive job loss seen if Thailand doesn’t upgrade education – EEC advisor

So be it. Thai people need to accept the inevitable as a result of poor education. Those being paid to educate don't give a damn.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2018 at 5:19 PM, BritManToo said:

I disagree,

I think Thailands feudal elite have the Thai education system exactly as they want it, training a nation of serfs to obey and love those in power. Getting students to think for themselves leads to civil unrest and maybe even revolution. 

This is also part of the reason the government loves Chinese tourists and want white foreigners to keep away.

I would agree with most of what you say though I would call it the "Thai Indoctrination system" rather than an education system for obvious reasons ? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

Throw in the fact that the best degree you can get is the best  one your parents can afford.

Same as the best job in the RTP and the military and the civil service. The cash will be rolling in with the current military reshuffle. Like winning the lotto for those who decide the promotions.

Edited by Cadbury

17 hours ago, CGW said:
On 8/10/2018 at 5:19 PM, BritManToo said:

I disagree,

I think Thailands feudal elite have the Thai education system exactly as they want it, training a nation of serfs to obey and love those in power. Getting students to think for themselves leads to civil unrest and maybe even revolution. 

This is also part of the reason the government loves Chinese tourists and want white foreigners to keep away.

I would agree with most of what you say though I would call it the "Thai Indoctrination system" rather than an education system for obvious reasons ? 

It certainly has that appearance, but I would never accuse the Sino-Siamese elite of trying to deliberately disadvantage their countrymen. Perish the thought. 

• Haha 2

They'll be fine. As long as they can string some metal together, pour some concrete, everyone can be a builder. Slop down some cement and smack a tile down, you're a tiler.. Or use a hacksaw and dip a finger in the green can of pipe glue and glue some pvc together, you can be a plumber. Got a screwdriver, pliers and a bamboo ladder, electrical work may be your calling. Not even mentioning growing lamyai or rice. Plenty of work here for the next 100 years.

• Like 1