Netizens decry school Mothers’ Day activities

snoop1130

Netizens decry school Mothers’ Day activities

By The Nation

e73543a92ed3d7d8739774cacda93954.jpeg

As National Mothers’ Day draws near, schools across the country have been staging events for students to express their gratitude towards their mums.

However, what happens to children whose mothers cannot show up for the events? 

The other day, a set of images went viral on the Internet showing a primary school student sitting on the floor, paying respect to an empty chair. Seated in most of the other chairs in the hall were the mums of her classmates. 

Many Netizens posted comments of sympathy, with some saying the youngster must have felt distressed and hurt by her mother’s absence. They also criticised schools for organising such activities, because instead of fostering stronger family ties, they said these events might just sour relationships and hurt children. 

A Facebook user vented his frustration, saying: “I hate such activities … Have you ever thought about children who don’t have a mother? Back in my schooldays, I always had to hide myself on such days.”

Meanwhile, some Netizens said the girl in the widely-circulated images might not have really felt abandoned, because up close she seemed to be on a video call with someone, who might have been her mother. 

National Mothers’ Day is marked on August 12 – Her Majesty Queen Sirikit’s birthday. Her Majesty will be celebrating her 86th birthday this year. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30351909

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-8-10

4 hours ago, jouec said:

I'm a single Dad, and I just don't take my daughter in for these sort of days.

In fact when she was in her previous school, they told me I couldn't take her in on Mother's Day!

That was a horrendous private school though, full of Army & Police kids. 

The hatred for luk kreungs was palpable as the kids had been brainwashed by their families

Are you sure? Maybe so, but also maybe the kids quickly get "brainwashed" the opposite direction (or lose their school indoctrination):

Wiki entry for Luk kreung:

"In more recent generations, luk khrueng have become accepted and even highly embraced by society, and many luk khrueng have carved out a prominent role in the entertainment industry in which their often-fluent English and their Caucasian features (such as fair skin, larger or colored eyes and tall physique), which are deemed attractive in Thai culture, have proved to be advantageous. Much of the Thai population finds luk khrueng highly attractive because of these features, and within teenage culture, they are also extremely popular.[6]"

Note: The citation [6] for the quotations was a book published in 2001 dealing with "mixed-heritage Asian-Americans".

See also[edit]

12 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Do you have any children who have been in Thai schools?

I've had 4 and these ceremonies taught them a lot of positive qualities.

How you even get away with criticizing the event, baffles me.

please enlighten us to those positive qualities

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, kannot said:

Total crap as usual, children have no choice in their birth yet they MUST be thankful to their parents. Im sure many of those kids parents never gave it a second thought when they were banging away.

So, had you had a choice ... you wouldn't be here. Is that right?

15 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:

These ceremonies are ridiculous. No value whatsoever.

16 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Pleas tell us what positive qualities waiing, prostrating and groveling have taught your children. 

It's absolutely revolting in this day and age. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, djayz said:

Pleas tell us what positive qualities waiing, prostrating and groveling have taught your children. 

It's absolutely revolting in this day and age. 

They don't teach 'groveling'.

Waiing, and prostrating is just the same is us farangs bowing our heads, shakig hands etc.

It teaches the children respect.  Also to acknowledge and show politeness to somebody (something some kids back home don't do as they are too moody or busy on their phone).

Its part of Thai society and culture.

Teaches children to be calm and control their emotions and think about things for a moment, rather then running about, screaming and throwing tantrums and doing as they wish with no parental or authority control.

You might like you kids do as they please, run about and ignore people who speak to them and not engage in conversation with an adult speaking to them... that is your choice. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

17 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Please enlighten me: what positive qualities were these?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1